Henry and Fran

Discussion in 'New England' started by 7irondave, May 30, 2018.

1. 7irondave

7irondave Devotee (410) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anyone have any insight on this local brewery?

Doesn't sound like they're open to the public yet according to their website. How can you get your hands on some? Is this a Vitamin Sea type of deal?

2. NAPO

NAPO Aspirant (263) Jan 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

On the contrary, I think they have done it right.

They are brewing out of a small residential garage in the woods of West Boylston. They send kegs to restaurants in the Worcester and Southeast area of the state. They have gained popularity brewing some fantastic IPA's and wacky experimental brews (Gose with skittles and pink himalayan salt) They have done 2 ticketed events for can releases and have sold out in like 5 minutes. My only complain is I had a can that it was flat and another that exploded and communication has been spotty. Just wanted to make them aware of the situation.

Zach (Head Brewer) and Tim (Co-Owner) are a really cool story. They are two former marines that met in Iraq. I see good things coming from them.

meefmoff and 7irondave like this.
  3. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (138) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I had the same questions and contacted them via Facebook - @NAPO is right, not open to the public, some kegs sent to distro, no Vitamin Sea type setup but they do have the occasional ticketed sales that are sporadically announced on Facebook.

I was lucky enough to trade for a can of How to Reimagine the World (Gose w/ Skittles) and thoroughly enjoyed it, though far closer to an alcoholic soda than a beer to my taste. Delicious regardless!

I'd say keeping an eye out on their fb page for the announcement of ticketed sales or giving some MA trading groups a shot are your best bet.

Looking forward to watching them grow

NAPO and 7irondave like this.
  4. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (416) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

A friend brought a can of Pleasant Surprise to my house on Monday. Thought it was really good.

7irondave likes this.
  5. NickyScribbles

NickyScribbles Initiate (111) Jun 9, 2016 Massachusetts

I second the exploding can comment, lost half of my Skittles gose because of this. It was still pretty damn good though.

NAPO likes this.
  6. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (148) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I live one town over from them but the only place I ever see their beer is at The Grange in Providence.

7. iflah45

iflah45 Aspirant (215) Jul 8, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Always have one on tap at BBC in Franklin too.

NAPO likes this.
  8. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (168) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

I've had it on tap once, at Baldie's in Lakeville. Can't remember which. A good solid IPA.

9. Jdeluca5

Jdeluca5 Initiate (149) May 28, 2017 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I follow them on Instgram and was fortunate enough to grab a ticket to the first can release.

I thought the beer was excellent, Pleasant Surprise was very good and I had a taster of another IPA that they hadn't canned (and I don't remember the name of) that I thought was better than Pleasant Surprise. I also got a sour IPA but I don't know if they have named it yet since there is no name on the label.

All the people there were very friendly and helpful.

I can third the exploding cans, 2 of my Pleasant Surprise cans kind of exploded and leaked in my fridge. It wasn't such a pleasant surprise. I'll see myself out.

NAPO and Newport_beerguy like this.
  10. colby600

colby600 Aspirant (268) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So far I've tried,
    Pleasant Surprise - good
    Painting with Bob Ross - very good
    How To Reimagine The World - very good albeit on the sweet side.

No can issues whatsoever

11. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (86) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Awesome name...

12. NAPO

Beer Trader

The Fix would casually have a beer from them. The Hangover Bar plans to re-open and they always had H&F on tap.

13. henryandfran

henryandfran Initiate (119) May 15, 2016 Massachusetts
    Industry

I would like to apologize to you fellas if that happened to you.

What is shown is an image of an improper seam. I thought I had caught all the ones that went out as I had halted filling and reinspected the 12 or so cases that did get filled; and would have tossed them had I believed it to be a problem.

With regards to communication.... I do my best to respond to messages in a timely manner. However, as I do all the brewing, sourcing and social media...It can take sometime to get back to people.

Lastly, thank you for the support. ~Zach

Hop-Bomb, meefmoff, jhavs and 6 others like this.
  14. ncuba

ncuba Initiate (31) Dec 20, 2008 Massachusetts

Would be nice to have this as a good local option in Worcester. Hoping they can get things together soon and get their beer out there.

15. henryandfran

Industry

you can find it at the hangover when they re-open, the fix, the boynton, and the 111 chophouse in Worcester. the smoke shop bbq cambridge. mac and walt's in norton. and a few other places in the south shore and RI. Kegs just tend to go kind of quick. But, a taproom is in the works. ~Zach

16. 7irondave

Beer Trader

Any timeline?

17. henryandfran

Industry

god willing.......by the end of the year.

18. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (558) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Have had a few H & F beers between Bayberry Beer Hall in Providence and British Beer Co in Franklin, always the best option when available!

19. colby600

Beer Trader

Now I've had a can issue. Skittles beer sprayed all over upon opening. Still tastes great.

20. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (298) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

If you need a contact/social media person give me a yell. I know two amazing people who have helped a couple of small local businesses that went large.

21. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (293) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I scored a ticket to the Siberian Kiss release this weekend, just wondering if anyone has been to one of their releases before and can offer some insight? I assume dogs are allowed? And should I expect everyone to arrive early a la red barn Tree House days?

@henryandfran

7irondave likes this.
  22. 7irondave

Beer Trader

Where was the ticket lottery posted? I've been curious about these guys and how to try their stuff

23. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Not a lottery, simply an Eventbrite link posted on Instagram & Facebook on July 2nd. Tickets sold out in an hour or two - no idea how many were available.

I've had a few of their beers on tap around central MA - I want to say I saw them last fall at BBC in Franklin? And looks like Mac & Walt's in Norton has one of their sours on tap right now.

7irondave likes this.
  24. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (271) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

“Taste the Rainbow”

Looking forward to trying some of their stuff on draft next time I am in Worcester.

25. NAPO

Beer Trader

You're pretty much going to the Co-Owner's home in the woods of West Boylston. I have gone to 3 out of the 5 releases and the Parking there is limited so you're there to pretty much grab your allotment and get a sample or 2 and if you're lucky a sample from a small pilot batch. They don't rush you out but usually if there's a few cars trying to park I just quickly head out.

Also, it's pretty easy to miss the house so just keep an eye on a keg that will be right in front. whether you're coming from 190 or 140 north.

#25 NAPO, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    7irondave and RuckIt like this.
  26. RuckIt

Beer Trader

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for!

They're selling cans of Precocious Madness to ticket holders too, with limits TBD, and on FB they said "certainly a good idea to arrive early"... any idea how large their canning runs have been in the past?

27. NAPO

Beer Trader

Maybe they meant extra cans on top of those limits because they do a good job to evenly distribute cans for people including giving them an opportunity for extra cans.

By what they tell me, we're only talking about 80-90 people per release. I usually get the first session and always arrive 30-40 minutes after session 1 start time. Make sure to bring cash. No cards.

#27 NAPO, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    RuckIt likes this.
  28. RuckIt

Beer Trader

So the cans aren't part of the Eventbrite ticket this time around. The ticket was for 6 bottles of SK, with the ability to purchase cans of PM when you arrive. I'd assume they'd set the limits on the cans appropriately so there's enough for both sessions.

29. NAPO

Beer Trader

Correct. I will also be grabbing the bottlers of SK and PM. Have to compare with Antidote of Apathy which was delicious.

[​IMG]

Still have 2 cans left.
    [​IMG]

RuckIt likes this.
  30. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (146) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Please excuse my ignorance, but, is pretty much the only chance to get some of their brews via their ticketed events? I am coming through to Boston for 4 days coming up in a few weeks and would LOVE to try some of their stuff, but, I am unsure of best procedure.

31. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (138) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ticketed events are the only way to get cans/bottles from them, otherwise you'll have to find someone to trade with. Some of their beers are available on draft around the area but I'll have to defer to someone else who has knowledge of which bars carry them. I seem to recall seeing people mention bars in Worcester, Norton, and Attleboro but I don't remember the names and I'm sure there's others.

32. Newport_beerguy

Beer Trader

British Beer Co in Franklin consistently had them a few months ago from what I saw on the menu a few different trips over a couple of weeks.

33. colby600

Beer Trader

Siberian Kiss is a delight as is Precocious Madness. I'm starting to feel like I can't miss any more of their releases.

NAPO likes this.
  34. Kraz

Beer Trader

Do you by any chance (or anyone) know if they get anywhere near Worcester or south of that? I will be in that area for 2 days in a couple of weeks.

35. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (171) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

No offense man, but if you’re coming to Massachusetts for four days obviously your time will be precious. I can think of about 10 breweries I’d be more interested in trying/going to in MA before I even considered H & F’s. Nothing Against Henry & Fran’s.

36. NAPO

Beer Trader

It's been a while, but this BBC in Franklin is in a league of its own. Not only the food here is actually good for a franchise restaurant ( I've been to Framingham, Worcester, and Walpole and none of the compare to Franklin) but the taplist is extremely underrated.

Just had a limited DIPA from singlecuts with peach and mango, a really good ipa from Fox Farm and a stout from J Wakefield.

37. NAPO

Beer Trader

See post #15. If you're around Metrowest/Central MA area, I might crack open a couple of beers from them with ya.

38. Newport_beerguy

Beer Trader

I'm really not in the loop on H&F but the post above referencing the other post (#15) ha should help.

39. Kraz

Beer Trader

Oh jeez, sorry guys. Thank you!