Henry's Tavern Locations Close in the NW

Discussion in 'US - West' started by John_M, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

2. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (204) Jun 10, 2008 California

Really disappointed in the way this was handled. From what I've read other places, the downtown Portland location was informed Friday afternoon that they were closing Friday night. That's a lot of employees to suddenly be unemployed. I used to visit Henrys instead of other chain sports bars because of their lengthy PNW-focused beer list. They had a TV setup during March Madness where you could see every game from every seat in the bar.

Restaurants Unlimited completely ruined the place. I hope they get a new tenant soon, that's a cool piece of Portland history.

guajolote and kemoarps like this.
  3. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

That's what the Oregonian reported as well. Apparently, just the Portland location alone employed more than a 100 people.

kemoarps likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I went to the one across from T-Mobile Park a couple times, but most of the time I just went to Hooverville down the street.

ballardbeer likes this.
  5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Their food was mediocre at best, and I had more than my share of stale oxidized beer there, but it is sort of sad to see them go. They had actually been making changes to try to bring in the lunch crowd (grab & go lunch specials for under $10, day time happy hour with things like $.50 wings every Wednesday, etc), but it was obviously too little, too late.

Something tells me that the spot is either going to be empty for a very, very long time (like the former PF Chang/Holsteins' spot across the street), or some massive chain with money to burn is going to take over the spot and turn it into some soulless bullshit that tries and fails to be relevant to Portlanders. Ni ether one of those options sounds appealing...

ballardbeer likes this.
  6. NWer

NWer Champion (801) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I went to Henry's downtown a few years ago when I was still ticking off places just to tick. It felt cavernous and impersonal. Not a fun place. My shortlist for PDX usually is HotD, Upright, Baileys.

7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think you nailed it Larry. My take as well. Just not my cup of tea.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,025) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, I would see the one next to Mariners stadium, and just get the cold, soulless, corporate vibe, and walk on by.

ballardbeer and kingsleyr like this.
  9. crusian

crusian Crusader (787) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Airport then had to close I assume? To have an airport location they need an offsite location right? Any news on the airport?

10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The Oregonian article indicated it was still open as of this past weekend.

#10 John_M, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  11. crusian

crusian Crusader (787) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Maybe they have a grace period to wind down?

sharpski likes this.
  12. weaverr

Country Cat is still open in PDX too. I'm guessing it only becomes an issue when they are up to sign a new contract.

sharpski likes this.
  13. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Henry's at the airport is still open, and is super busy tonight.

I waited for a spot to open at the bar, then bailed to seek beer and food elsewhere.

14. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Unless something has changed in the last couple years, all the businesses in the airport are run by a national concessions company called HMS that basically licenses the names/branding/menu/etc of the actual brewery or restaurant. I'm not sure how it works when the original business goes under, but I suspect @weaverr is correct and that it'll remain open until the contract runs out or they find someone else to take over the space.

kemoarps likes this.
  15. weaverr

That's not entirely true for PDX. HMSHost exclusively operates the food service businesses in most of the airports around the country as a contract with the owner of the airport. At PDX, HMSHost has to contract individually with each of the businesses inside of the airport. A lot of the businesses in PDX do contract with HMSHost, but not all of them and it's not required. Part of the reason that PDX is the best airport in the country.

I haven't been to Henry's in awhile, but I think you're right that HMSHost operates that location and that's likely a primary motivating factor for its continued operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.