Hickory People

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by mikeincharleston, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Defender (643) May 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just moved to town at the start of January. Talked to a couple of you guys. Any of you on Facebook and want to start a local page? Just to keep up with what's going on? Let me know

2. treznor

treznor Zealot (548) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

For the most part the local scene is focused around Hops & Grapes, Crescent Moon, and Olde Hickory Taproom/Station so its fairly easy to keep up with :slight_smile:

3. asams10

asams10 Disciple (343) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

And the only big festival in town is Hickory Hops in April. Pretty much follow @treznor on here and you'll know what all is happening in Hickory.

nas4atu, abb610 and treznor like this.
  4. FutureCowboy

FutureCowboy Aspirant (213) Feb 20, 2008 South Carolina
    Industry

No one wants to hang out with you, mikeinhickory.

rbradley, Mattybz28, exposur3 and 2 others like this.
  5. nas4atu

nas4atu Aspirant (258) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Like @treznor said, those are probably the best places to hit for the craft beer scene in Hickory. Come on down to Hops & Grapes one day this week and sign up for their weekly newsletter, while enjoying a pint, tons and tons of bottles and 16 taps to choose from. As for our town's brewery(arguably the state's best barrel aging brewery), definitely make it to Olde Hickory Brewery's Tap Room or Olde Hickory Station (we can get to Amos and Howard's after those two, haha). As for the best guest tap bar here in Hickory, I'd give it to Crescent Moon as well, with Olde Hickory Station following. Just come on down to Hops & Grapes almost any night of the week, and you'll run into some awesome craft beer followers (pretty damn good people as well) and that'll help you keep in the loop about our town's beer scene. Oh, and don't forget about a little place that seems to be blowing up lately (although its 20-30 minute drive from Hickory), Fonta Flora. They have a massive release this upcoming Saturday! Also, Hops & Grapes will be hosting a Sexual Chocolate tap party this Thursday as well.

abb610 and asams10 like this.
  6. asams10

asams10 Disciple (343) Mar 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Shhhhhh on the Fonta Flora. Come on Eric! Haha

abb610 and nas4atu like this.
  7. nas4atu

Beer Trader

Oh, and welcome to Hickory! I think we are quite lucky here in our little town. Pretty damn good craft scene of its own, plus we are ~an hours drive from Asheville and Charlotte, and as I mentioned previously, Fonta Flora is not too far as well.

8. nas4atu

Beer Trader

Sorry!!! I couldn't help myself!!

9. PostQ

PostQ Initiate (73) Dec 13, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Umfortunately, your luck just ran out with @mikeincharleston moving up there....

10. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

Fuck you @FutureCowboy and @PostQ :slight_smile:

@nas4atu dont worry FF has already been on my radar. Went to the last release right when I moved here

FutureCowboy likes this.
  11. treznor

treznor Zealot (548) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Would you stop freaking me out? The FF release is next weekend, the 20th, not this weekend. Totally thought I had the wrong weekend.

12. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

My brother has lived here for years and I've visited him a lot. I know about all those place prior to moving. Actually went to CM over the weekend.

13. Lucasrj

Lucasrj Initiate (60) Jan 30, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

You're in Hickory? Name checks out.

14. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

15. MrPeabodysBeard

MrPeabodysBeard Initiate (180) Aug 8, 2010 North Carolina

Don't forget that Peabody's is just a short jaunt up the hill....wait you've been a customer for years and already know where to get all your goodies...oh...my bad....:wink:...

TonyLema1 likes this.
  16. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

Yeah yeah @MrPeabodysBeard. We are gonna day trip up there soon. Funny I drove down to Whole Foods in Huntersville and popped in the Total Wine as well and they had a bunch of Daniel Boone on the shelf. I was like damn, with that ugly dude on the bottle I figure they would have just thrown them out. Seriously through how do they still have that, wasn't it like 2014?

treznor likes this.
  17. jshusc

jshusc Defender (672) Aug 16, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

My law partner comes into my office yesterday, and said he found "the best bottle shop [he'd] ever seen" in Boone, NC. I said, "Peabody's?"

"Yes!!!"

I asked him if he knew there was a gamecock who ran the store. He's now over the moon about the spot.

gothedistance and TonyLema1 like this.
  18. MrPeabodysBeard

Was it my face or Brawley...you would know as @brawleys is much uglier and less bearded than I:wink:! That would have been 2013 or 14...honestly I can't even remember...to many beers/quality control since then!! No idea how they still had it...maybe they have a cellar that rivals mine!! Come on up and hang brother anytime

jshusc likes this.
  19. MrPeabodysBeard

My man!

jshusc likes this.
  20. dmdoub

dmdoub Initiate (152) Nov 5, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I hadn't had Daniel Boone before, but I opened one of those bottles from Total Wine yesterday and I don't think it tasted like it is supposed to. Over carbonated with a tart twang. Still drinkable, but just a bit off.

21. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,652) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I was just up in Boone last week, Peabody's is friggin awesome

MrPeabodysBeard likes this.