Hidden beer ratings

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Aaron_Kerkvliet, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

Would anyone be interested in BA offering the ability to hide beer ratings until after you've tried to offer a more unbiased review. I sometimes like to read about the beer, if say the brewer has notes before tasting.

kscaldef likes this.
  2. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,886) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

I have an alternate idea. Write your notes onto a notepad and type the same notes into the Beer Advocate database. Problem solved.

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

A different but very similar alternative would be to write the review and assign your individual scores in a word processor document and then copy/paste the review into the online box after you enter your scores.

Ozzylizard and paulys55 like this.
  4. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I'm confused as to what it would accomplish.

5. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

This came up a while ago and I guess the logistics of it made it impossible...at least at the time.

Aaron_Kerkvliet likes this.
  6. FerrisBrueller

FerrisBrueller Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2015 Florida

I agree with above posters, seems difficult a laborsome for BA to do it when the old-fashioned way works. :/

7. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,783) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It avoids group think. If someone reads how awesome/awful a beer is before they try it they're more likely to skew their score and thoughts towards the ratings they've read whether subconsciously or not.

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

But since most all the ratings are not done blind to brewery, price, style, etc. what would be the point? If someone doesn't want to be "contaminated" by the thoughts of others simply do the review/rating without looking at then enter it.

9. pianoguy

pianoguy Devotee (442) Feb 14, 2015 Washington

I understand the concerns of a group think mentality when rating beers... But one of the strengths of this site(for me) has always been being able to see how a beer is rated before I commit to buying that beer. Be it a bar or store, when confronted with a beer that I have never heard of I look it up on my phone. Most of the time it points me in the right direction.
    ... But when it comes to rating/reviewing beers I am and will always be my own man.

10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,907) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Exactly what I do.

drtth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.