Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

Hopslam.

I find it's so sweet and malty that it takes away from the hops. There are cheaper beers here locally that are tastier IMO.

drgarage likes this.
  2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a THOUSAND TIMES NOOOOOOO Dark Lord is amazing (never had a bad one) if you don't like it feel free to send me all your bottles.

3. jbck109

jbck109 May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Right! I had high hopes for the "King of Beers", and I too was let down;)

4. khipps16

khipps16 Jan 19, 2013

Old Guardian! Got it and couldn't wait to try it. Looked wonderful in the glass, slight sweet smell, a little hop aroma. First , second, and third sip...... Not good. Had many barley wines. This was not one I enjoyed.

5. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

Heady Topper I just don't get it on top of not being that good it looks terrible in the glass and tastes like plastic or metal. Possibly be better if they would put it in a bottle instead of a can?

6. Noodles

Noodles Mar 3, 2013 Ohio

Bells Cherry Stout was very disappointing. Way too tart.

7. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Agree but... I Had an '08 at Stone in Escondido and it was wonderful. Also their RIS from '06 and it was UH-mazing. Maybe lots of there big beers just do much better over time...

8. mdanberg

mdanberg Apr 26, 2010 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Founders Breakfast Stout for me. Probably went in with way too high of an expectation thinking it would blow my mind, but it turned out to be fairly average.

Kerrie likes this.
  9. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Dec 11, 2006 California

10. powz87

powz87 Jan 18, 2012 Illinois

Zombie Dust. it's just not what it used to be, to me anyways.

11. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Celebration, Brown Shugga, Hoptimum, Ruination, Double Bastard, Celebration, Hop Devil, Celebration, Chimay Blue, Racer 5, oh and Celebration.

12. SortaAmbivalent

SortaAmbivalent Sep 11, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hop Stoopid, although reading recent positive reviews maybe I just got a bad bottle. I love a lot of the other Lagunitas IPAs. I will mostly give it another shot.

13. SortaAmbivalent

SortaAmbivalent Sep 11, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Really? Have you ever for a second considered that Celebration just MIGHT be overrated?

14. time4lunch

time4lunch Aug 10, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Not gunna flame you at all, this is one of the most subjective threads. That said, imo darkness, wet, abrasive are indeed their top beers. So dont sleep on these when or if you see them. This years wet was unreal...

15. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Duvel. Hands down the most overrated beer ever. Can somebody please explain to me it's greatness, And how it is so much different than a Euro Pale Lager? Because it honestly kind of tasted like a glorified Heineken to me.

16. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Sucks..................what?...this isn't the beer of the year thread?
    I'm sorry...

Then I would have to say Surly Furious.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  17. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

18. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Jun 13, 2012 Florida

You got a bad one... a very bad one. Return it and get a new one.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  19. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Good lord, man. You are equating a boozy and refined beer which defines the style of Belgian Golden Strong Ales and has delicious pear esters from their unique yeast to a skunked 5% lager that tastes like butt. Surrender your palate, beer geek card, man card and then go stand in the corner to realize the error of your ways!

20. bobhits

bobhits Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

I had the same feelings on expedition when I first had it. Best thing that ever happened to me because those 5 remaining bottles were gold in the years after. I've grown to like it too much to easily put some aside now days...

21. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Duchesse De Bourgogne. Awful.

drgarage likes this.
  22. semibaked

semibaked Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

Dark Lord
    Kate the Great
    Event Horizon
    Westy 12 (I still liked it though, but top 3 beers in the world, no.)

23. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Odell's Myrcenary.

I love Odell, love their IPA, but just can't get into Myrcenary like I would like to.

24. bobhits

Who wouldn't? But it's also 10 bucks a bottle vs 10 bucks for a 4 pack. And yeah one's damn near perfect, but the other isn't some watery barely coffee flavored beer by any means.

25. bobhits

4.19 for a bomber right? Or for a single bottle? I only had it once, loved it, but haven't a clue what it cost for the trader that sent it to me.

26. tectactoe

tectactoe Mar 20, 2012 Michigan

I meant 4.19 as in, that was my rating for it lol. Looks like I was wrong though, I only gave it a 4.14.

I believe it's in the 9-10$ range, but I could be wrong.

27. Pinioned

Pinioned Dec 16, 2012 Kentucky

Hopslam wasn't really doing it for me this year. Maybe too hoppy ;)

28. mkorpal

mkorpal Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

For me it's always been Orval. I am not a fan of strait brett cough medicine.

29. bobhits

I'll say this.....it tastes like artificial sugars and hazelnut were added. Coffee...I didn't get that. Also the base beer was too sweet before they added the artificial flavors. Then again I've never had coffee with sugar in it....so maybe that is how it tastes?

30. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Good lord. I have a hard time believing you've ever actually tasted Duvel. It tastes nothing like Heineken. Not even close unless "close" means "more like Heineken than an imperial stout".

drgarage and BrettHead like this.
  31. bobhits

Where to begin...so many disappointments.

1. CBS too sweet, I hate the maple flavors founders uses. It isn't as good as any of their other stouts.
    2. Chimay Blue: I don't get this one at all.
    3. Chimay Red: I thought this was just a bad beer and I've had it multiple times to verify I wasn't crazy.
    4. Duvel: The triple hop is really good. This stuff is boring as hell, unpleasant to drink due to carbonation.
    5. Squall: I don't like 90 much either, but it doesn't get the love of Squall. Too sweet and thick for what it is.
    6. Bigfoot: Now that it is no longer a steal in price, it's really hot and well meh.
    7. DeuS: Fine I'll say it, Sam Adams did this style better and for half as much. Flame on!
    8. Oak Aged Yeti: Hops and oak just don't work together for me. Yeti is great and when you add espresso you have heaven in a glass. But this one? Not so much.
    9. Saison Dupont: I don't get the love.
    10. Great Lakes Christmas Ale: They can't keep this stuff in stores...I don't understand how anyone kills a 6er.
    11. Zombie Dust: only because it is SO high on the rankings. It's a perfect 4.00, but top 50? Just no.
    12. Parabola: Very good but not in the world class mind blown category.

Edit: To be clear I do not think Duvel tastes like euro lager swill.

32. AndyAvalanche

AndyAvalanche Jun 16, 2008 Massachusetts

Well to name a few off the top of my head Double Wide, Deviant Dale's, DfH Indian Brown were all beers I was really looking forward to and underwhelmed by all of them (Dale's the least of the bunch I guess).

For the record I love Stone IRS still to this day.

33. MarshalHunahpu

MarshalHunahpu Mar 10, 2013 Florida

WHOOAA.. I know you can pretty much pick this up wherever.. but this beer = fantastic imo. Also, theres really not much craze over it so expectations cant be super high to begin with. Again.... imo

dar482 and Hefewiseman like this.
  34. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'll do that as soon as I have a bottle that doesn't taste like a slightly glorified Euro Lager

35. MrNate

MrNate Mar 5, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of ZombieDust.. Just not for me.

36. MarshalHunahpu

MarshalHunahpu Mar 10, 2013 Florida

AGREED with the Ruffian. The Bros:100 and Ratebeer:99

Are you serious?
    Def. worth picking up dont get it twisted but rated 100? The Barley wine class must be sSLaAcKiNnGg

37. BKBassist

BKBassist Jan 24, 2013 New York

For $5 a bomber even here in NYC, this would have to be a total drain pour to be overrated. I'm sure people are considering the price when talking about HopStoopid

38. YogiBeer

YogiBeer May 10, 2012 Illinois

39. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

Great Lakes Alchemy Hour. Very high score, and many reviewers indicated big citrus fruit notes and tropical fruit notes which I like. The first bottle of the four pack left much to be desired and left me about as disappointed as I've ever been with a beer.

40. Cinephile

Cinephile Sep 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Threads like this should be renamed, "People have different taste buds".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe