Hill Farmstead (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by Sheppard, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DrewGingras

DrewGingras Initiate (133) Jul 30, 2013 Vermont

Oof... Think I'll stay away today. Thanks for the info!

2. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,691) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I meant not too many new people in back of me since 2:30, but about ten people since I posted

3. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,796) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I don't come to this thread often so I apologise if this is a consistent or overdone topic, but methinks it's time to seriously expand the retail area.

There was one point of sale when I got up to the counter. One. And I understand it's a special release but I've waited a good 45 minutes before during normal days.

Idk I have no solutions. I'm just saying it's incredibly slow getting beer at HF.

4. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (263) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

I think the solution is to not go all the way to HF if all you are doing is buying their IPA's like you said you were. Just go to any other brewery. They all make mostly interchangeable IPAs these days. The trip to HF is obviously worth it for people who love saisons and such.

5. ScaryEd

See I disagree there. HF makes my absolute favorite hoppy beers. S&S4 is at the top of the list.

I also love the draft options. It's a great brewery to visit no matter what styles you enjoy. You just have to wait too damn long to get them.

First world problems.

6. jhavs

Society Trader

Had 3 POS going when I made it up there. Was pretty long wait. But no line to get beers in Taproom, so I just drank my beer in line.

7. colby600

colby600 Zealot (516) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

They aren't all interchangeable, S&S #4 is ridiculous.

8. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (301) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’m on board with that. S&S #4 is my favorite hoppy beer and imo the best there is.

9. ScaryEd

Dude it's so good. I nearly fainted when I saw it was available in cans.

Sheppard and MattOC like this.
  10. colby600

colby600 Zealot (516) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I know when it's released at HF, Armsby Abbey isn't far behind. I'm waiting...

7irondave likes this.
  11. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (301) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Now you both have me reminiscing over this beer. My last run of cans was 7/30-9/10/18 batch. But truly fond of first pours off kegs at Blackback, at Armsby when Hill got in state, and fresh growler fills of it long before cans. Special beer.

12. ScaryEd

My first growler fill back in 2016 was a religious experience. Oddly enough I chose to get a 2 liter fill of it instead of my usual 750 ml. Best random beer decision I've ever made.

Sheppard and MattOC like this.
  13. Sheppard

Sheppard Savant (971) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

I don't think I've found anywhere that produces hoppy beers on par with Hill's best hoppy beers. I've certainly looked, but nothing is interchangeable with them. I do feel for @ScaryEd. It sounds like today was one of the worst days to go (unless you really really really really really wanted Clover).

ColdOne and ScaryEd like this.
  14. ScaryEd

It really was.

Although I do remember the old days of HF and going on a Saturday when they had just that small counter for growler fills and bottle purchases. You'd get there at open and would walk out 30 minutes to close. But then I knew what I was getting into.

15. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (127) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Did I miss the IPA reference? Also, depending on what type of PA/IPA/DIPA you are looking for, HF, Suarez and Fox Farm are exemplary. Soft, crisp and clean as opposed to overhopped "NE style" sludge.

16. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (149) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Aside of the predictably slow retail line for bottles/cans, it was a pretty great day overall at HF. Weather held up for a comfortable day in Greensboro. Aaron ‘15 on draft, Flora Pear and Damon ‘17 among the on-site bottle offerings. And the pizza truck was really tasty.

Davl22 likes this.
  17. AUtiger1209

AUtiger1209 Initiate (18) Jul 14, 2017 Georgia

Traveling to Burlington from Atlanta, and going to be at HF next Thursday, second day of their anniversary week.

Anyone have experience with their anniversary week, specifically during the week (Weds or Thurs)? Is it a complete shit show?

18. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (50) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

Wasn't it Damon Kieni? I think I missed that by a half hour or so. But yeah, overall a fun day. Got there early, they opened early and, relatively speaking, crushed in the retail room with 5 people picking orders, at least for the initial rush.

Sneaky underrated on-site bottle was Norma '16. I love that beer.

Davl22 likes this.
  19. jhavs

Society Trader

Hi. I have been on either Wednesday or Thursday since they went to this format. It has not been a shit show at all in my opinion. Pretty chill, especially if the weather is nice and there is room for people to spread out on the deck/field.

They have not had anything crazy at retail the last few years. The retail lines for extremely limited brews seem to drive the most crowds.

I arrive typically at 230-3pm. The initial group of guests are usually gone at this time.

AUtiger1209 likes this.
  20. jhavs

Society Trader

They had M&C 9 bottles in the afternoon too.

21. dubdrop

dubdrop Zealot (566) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Compared to the Damon FBV release, I thought yesterday's line moved pretty quickly. Definitely more people yesterday for Clover, but the line moved faster since they had 2 registers and 3-4 people boxing orders. Hopefully this becomes the norm for these big hyped release days. Plus they were already open when I arrived at 10:30, which I'm sure helped quite a bit.

22. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (50) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

I thought it was MUCH better. And score one for the early crowd. I know we get some shit for getting there early, but some of us have logistics issues (kids) and need to get up there, get our shit, and get home. Opening at 9:55 or so was a pleasant surprise and I thought they crushed it in the retail room.

Of course, I was in and out before the grandmules on canes and the gaggle of bored looking, college aged girls I saw get in line who were no doubt long time Hill Farmstead enthusiasts. That might have slowed the afternoon lines a bit.

Run4theRoses, jonphisher and dubdrop like this.
  23. AUtiger1209

Excellent! Thank you! I’ll be getting there around 2:30 as well, so hopefully this how things go this year.

jhavs likes this.
  24. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (312) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Anyone hear yet?

25. ijenkins

ijenkins Initiate (29) Jul 7, 2005 Pennsylvania

26. kylestearns

kylestearns Initiate (54) Nov 12, 2011 Virginia
    Trader

Got a FOFA email -- not sure if people here are waiting to hear back from HF.

27. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (155) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

How were the lines today? Any predictions for Sat? I’ll be in the area for my son’s soccer game on Sat. and am thinking of stopping in around 1:30. I’ll have two kids with me who are great at entertaining themselves, but I don’t want to wait in the bottle/can line for more than 45min.

28. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (262) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Got fofa email about 6 hrs ago. Idk what time I'm in Tokyo right now...

29. WoolEnthusiast

WoolEnthusiast Initiate (86) Dec 15, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Line was about 15-20 people out the door around open, and all but disappeared by 1pm. Clover hadn't run out when I left, and according to the FB group, is still available.

Probably won't still be there, but Flora Melange and Fou '16 were available for onsite.

30. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (239) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Does anyone know the total amount of HF CW members there are compared to the total number of FOFA tickets?

31. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (262) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't know, but based on my sample size of one it was easier to get fofa than CW.

Sheppard likes this.
  32. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Initiate (129) Oct 20, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Sorry for this question, but any chance Clover last until Saturday? I know, I know, but I had to asked! Thanks!

mjco04 likes this.
  33. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (144) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Sure, there's a chance.

mjco04, dropkick1977 and MattOC like this.
  34. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (155) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Sold out

35. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (86) Apr 16, 2017 New York

Is there a separate FoFA thread for this year? I searched but only found ones for previous years. Just want to check before I started blabbering on.

36. mdg164

mdg164 Initiate (78) Mar 28, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Still no FOFA email.

No one I know even received a confirmation email when they registered. Did that happen to anyone else?

37. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (312) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

No confirmation email but could see on the universe website I had successfully put in for the lottery

Oh well, fingers crossed for next year!

38. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (86) Apr 16, 2017 New York

I didn't receive a registration email either but I did get the "you are selected" email on Thursday. Not sure if they all went out yet or not though.

39. AUtiger1209

40. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (239) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

That is an absolutely stacked list this coming week. Haven't seen Everett in bottles in quite awhile.

7irondave and AUtiger1209 like this.