Hill Farmstead (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by M-Fox24, Jan 1, 2020.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,041) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

10th Anniversary – Significant Milestone

---

2019 Thread - Added by @Sheppard

Links:
    Phone: (802) 533-7450
    • Most likely one’s best bet, given the responsiveness and insight on availability, at any given time

RMW66, CraigMack61, SABERG and 5 others like this.
  2. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (470) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Special batch of Double Barrel Damon today, 2 years in Port, 4 years in bourbon, served still, bottled 2018, on-site only.

3. dropkick1977

dropkick1977 Initiate (71) Jan 4, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

And Flora box sets. Batch 7, Flora Plum, and Flora BBR for the low, low price of $175. LOL

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  4. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

The difference between the this thread and the Tree House thread is the difference between me assuming this is a real beer and not someone's weird failed attempt at satire.

cgwami and bla211 like this.
  5. dropkick1977

Trader

Dude.

We get it.

yasky, meefmoff, rozzom and 11 others like this.
  6. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (272) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Its helpful to get an occasional reminder of why I try to avoid the Tree House thread.

Mikecap, meefmoff, cgwami and 10 others like this.
  7. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (151) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Haven’t had Alaka but BoT 2016 (and to a slightly lesser extent 2013) is among my absolute top beers of all time.

parg0 and SABERG like this.
  8. M-Fox24

Trader

A Dann Paquette scenario came to mind, but glad Gletsos is staying fairly local via “cheese cave” = Looking forward to 2021 given the “dormancy phase” – A separation to prioritize Wunderkammer

[​IMG]

9. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (93) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Heading up this weekend and am excited. Hope this current lineup makes it to Saturday afternoon

#9 Gsulliv2, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (116) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Shaun Hill just got D.E.N.N.I.S’ed

separate entirely

Sheppard, meefmoff, Gushue3 and 3 others like this.
  11. Gerry129

Gerry129 Initiate (87) Jun 13, 2013 New York
    Trader

What is everyone thinking for the anniversary week? Week before or week of Memorial Day?

hops_for_thought likes this.
  12. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Initiate (180) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Kicked off the Wednesday before Memorial Day past two years (I believe) so figure the same?

13. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Zealot (522) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Question from someone who hasn't been to HF in a year or so. Does their on-site list change/vary by the day of the week? I'm planning a trip up with a friend to relax and enjoy the on-site options largely. The past few times I've been it was on a Friday or Saturday and the list was largely pretty basic. Would you recommend that we try our best to make it on a Wednesday? thanks for your input. Cheers

14. dropkick1977

Trader

If you're looking to hang out onsite, I would go on a Wednesday. Feels like lately they're putting out "bigger" onsite bottles (Samuel and Double Barrel Damon) these days than later in the week.

All depends what your goal is.

15. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (261) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Wednesdays/Thursdays are lovely there, especially in winter. (Exception is if there's a big release.) People who make the trek midweek, (especially in poor weather) reap rewards. Weekends are all about patience, so choose well.

Davl22 likes this.
  16. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (127) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Most of the onsite bottle list changes weekly, and sometimes small changes throughout the same week occur(mostly from Friday to Saturday). Thursday seems like the ticket on a bigger release week as in that case, Wed would be the busiest weekday and Thurs you would still reap benefits of same retail and onsite list. Fridays around this time of year usually ain't that bad either. The list won't disappoint. Enjoy.

17. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (190) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Juicy looking good for open tomorrow?

18. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (67) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Haven't had much at all from Hill Farmstead but recently got lucky enough to acquire a bottle of Damon. This particular bottle was from the March 20, 2019 packaging. My question is whether or not I should drink this now while fresh or should I hang on to it for awhile?

19. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (369) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

If you've never had it before, drink it now/fresh.

20. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,777) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

This, always

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  21. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (67) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Thanks guys, really appreciate it

MattOC likes this.
  22. parg0

parg0 Initiate (64) Feb 22, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

FWIW I opened a bottle from this batch over the weekend and it was delicious. Enjoy!

23. Beerbom

Beerbom Defender (632) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Trader

Hey there, we're considering a spontaneous trip to Hill Farmstead February 6-7. How bad should we anticipate the weather/snow storms will be this time of year? We're planning on swinging over to New York or maybe Boston for that Saturday and Sunday after Hill Farmstead. I'm in California so it's typically 60 to 65° that time of year here… Ha ha Ha!

Also, are there typically any festivals at hill farmstead in February March or April that we should wait for instead because we don't have to go this Feb 6-7 weekend. We're just trying to use an airline voucher that we have to get rid of before October.

24. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (127) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Roads can be pretty rough depending on the amount dumped down, and icy roads. It was kinda sketchy when I went up one day last month. Rent an SUV/Jeep don't go economy/compact car. As far as festivals, there's no such thing other than FoFA in Aug, unless you wait til May(anniversary/memorial weekend) which is a time to avoid because of their biggest crowd size. Enjoy your trip in Feb when it's chill or April (mud season) where they usually do an event at Parker Pie or Farmhouse Tap & Grill. It's also their 10th anniversary year and they might be doing scattered events throughout the year. Cheers.

MattOC likes this.
  25. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,173) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

IMO there's never a bad time to go to Hill.

26. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

I’m going to be up there at the end of April and first few days of May for the first time. Is this still considered “mud season?”

Trying to see if I’d be fine in my AWD sedan or need to borrow the wife’s SUV for the weekend.

27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (222) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anyone try the new Flora Raspberry yet?

28. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,278) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

My experience is that time is the end of Mud season. Cars welcome
    Cheers

CTHopman likes this.
  29. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,891) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

You will be fine with an AWD sedan. If it happens to be really muddy, drive carefully once on the dirt road and be ready to clean your car. April could also be very snowy, you never know.
    I have taken my wife's Prius to HF during every month of the year in all weather conditions and have never needed assistance.

Davl22 and MattOC like this.
  30. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (345) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Agreed, people make way too much of the road situation at Hill. It’s an unpaved road but it’s not like you’re driving on a horse trail with rocks and inches of mud or anything. I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting stuck despite the frequent discussion of this topic. Drive carefully and all will be fine.

31. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (369) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agreed. Take it slow and all should be fine.

Although, not stuck, there was the guy (from Maine) who overturned his car on Taylor Road a couple of years back during an Aaron release weekend. Then again, that was November and on a snowy road.

When the weather is tricky I tend to go via Willey's-Baker Hill-Hwy 8-Hill Road (back way in?) versus the more direct Taylor Road, which is windier and uphill.

wehaveamap and Sheppard like this.
  32. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (169) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Awd sedan should be fine just don’t drive like an idiot or go in the middle of a snowstorm unless you are used to driving in those conditions. I agree I people make the drive out to be way worse than it is. It’s only a mile or two on dirt road and they do a good job plowing/maintaining the roads. Also cell reception is still spotty in those parts, which adds to peoples concerns about the drive, what ever happened to using an old fashion map,

33. msiegel04

msiegel04 Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Appreciate all the suggestions everyone. My concerns are alleviated. It sounds like it’s probably a little overblown and any of the horror stories you hear are probably the result of people not using good judgment or not being used to driving in New England conditions.

7irondave likes this.
  34. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (345) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Your comment about cell reception reminded me of another pro tip I wish I’d known on my first visit. Before you go to Hill, pull up the directions on your phone and take screenshots. That way you can find your way home, or wherever you’re going afterwards, even if you can’t get reception for your gps to find your destination from Hill. On my first visit, I had to start asking around the taproom if anyone knew how to get to Waterville.

RauchbierFan33, ColdOne and Roy_Hobbs like this.
  35. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (255) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

That’s a great suggestion. My first time there we left and somehow ended up on the worst dirt road.... sort of more like a creek bed, actually. Fun times.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  36. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (139) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

We drove from Burlington to HF on the first morning of my bachelor party, all very hungover. We got stuck on a hill in like 8 inches of snow 1.5 miles from the brewery. Literally could not get any farther. Everyone got out of the car except me (the driver) and I backed slowly down the hill to the main road with my driver's side door open in case the car slid of the embankment into the woods. In that case, I'd save myself. Fun times. Never got to Hill that day. Turned right tf around and went to drink.

OGShotzy and Resuin like this.
  37. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

You can also have Google Maps download and save the map data for the area:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838

rightcoast7 likes this.
  38. M-Fox24

Trader

New Series bounding in “to showcase each hop’s characteristics within the framework of our delicately tart, lightly effervescent base beer”

[​IMG]

Nearly 15 years ago, I began my commercial experimentation with pure Brettanomyces fermentations. After experimenting with IPA fermentations that used a single strain of Brettanomyces, I decided that I would open Hill Farmstead as a 100% Brettanomyces brewery—and that I would skip brewing porter/stout/lager in exchange for something entirely novel at the time.

After further exploration, and living and brewing in Scandinavia for several years, this intention evolved into the notion of using multiple strains in the brewery and realizing the pursuit of various styles.

Self-Reliance is a bit of a throw back to those notions of old.

Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essay "Self-Reliance" inspires and compels our persistent reflection, examination, and refinement. From our ongoing pursuit of unique and personally selected hops to our steady quest after refinement and the individualized expression of elegance in all of our beers, Emerson’s urging to “insist on yourself; never imitate” provides motivation towards greater self-exploration, self-expression, and self-realization.

To that end, we present you a reimagining of our Self-Reliance series—once our exploratory pale ales, now our Farmstead® single hop India pale ales featuring varieties of our own selection. This new series allows us to showcase each hop’s characteristics within the framework of our delicately tart, lightly effervescent base beer.

39. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (62) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

So combining all these comments together (and for the record I totally agree about the brutality of the road to HF being overplayed) - whenever we go up, we usually rent this same house on Caspian Lake. But it was taken one year so rented somewhere on Lake Parker. We downloaded the route in advance. Had no cell service as we got close, and it was late at night. In retrospect, we should simply have turned off Bean Hill Road onto Parker Road. For some reason though (and we had no idea it was an off suggestion having never come this way before), it directed us onto a rutted farm track about half a mile before. The track soon deteriorated to something that literally you would only voluntarily take a tractor down. We bottomed out the rental car several times. I have no idea how we didn’t get stuck. I think probably in part because I’m from a very rural part of Scotland. The city slickers I was with (cough - my wife, sister-in-law, and her husband) would never have managed....

40. OGShotzy

OGShotzy Disciple (372) Oct 5, 2014 Pennsylvania

Despite getting there three times before with no problems, last month, my GPS routed us via Keniston Hill Road in Sheffield. (We were coming up I-91 from White River Junction.) It sounds like the hill we eventually encountered was very similar to your situation. We backed down and were able to get there taking a State Road to Taylor Rd.

I should have known something was up when we pulled onto a dirt road 6 or 8 miles away and not 2 miles away.