Hoegarrden and Sierra Nevada/same pressure?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Ogbassist182, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ogbassist182

Ogbassist182 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Mississippi

I am about to get a keg of Hoegarrden and keg of Sierra Nevada. I only have 1 regulator. I was looking at http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html and belgian white is 2.1 - 2.6 and sierra nevada is 2.2-2.8. will these work side by side on the same pressure? Also please help me understand the formula to correctly balance a system.

My beer stays at 36 degrees
    I have 5' of 3/16 beer line
    My keg is tapped aprox 1' below from where it pours
    I have a tower cooler

2. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (465) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Those ranges you are quoting are too wide to be of any help. You need to get the real numbers by contacting the brewery. I can get you halfway there, when I contacted SN they gave me 2.5-2.6 for all of their beers. If the other beer is within a point or two of that you will be fine. The only downside of a single regulator is you might have a little more foam on one side. Assuming you are using a calibrated thermometer and are taking the temperature using the second pour method, the SN is going to be looking for around 11 psi. That is straight from a force carbonation chart and doesn't consider line length (longer would slow the flow if you have foaming coming from dispense speed - most people go longer than 5'), elevation (1' makes no difference), or the tower cooler ( plays no role in balancing, all it does is prevent first glass foam).

3. Ogbassist182

I don't speak Dutch, French, or German. When you say brewery, i assume you mean where the beer is made? Not trying to be a smart ass, but Hoegarrden is in Belgium. Any other way of finding out? Will the distributor know?

I was also told that Hoegarrden needed a higher psi because it wasn't pasteurized or something?
    Or maybe it wasn't already carbonated?

#3 Ogbassist182, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. DougC123

Subscriber

I'm aware that Hoegaarden is Belgian. I can even spell it correctly unlike you. You'd be surprised to learn that while most Americans can barely speak English, the majority of Europeans can both speak and read multiple languages including English. Send them an email and see what you get. It is very unlikely the distributor knows the volumes.
    Since Hoegaarden is owned by InBev there is chance it is 2.6 just like all the rest of the product families have been moved to. Psi has nothing to do with pasteurization, and the beer is already carbonated.
    You will also need to buy a coupler, Hoegaarden uses an A coupler I believe but you should check that. It definately isn't a D.

#4 DougC123, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,569) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

How many PSIs does it take for an email to arrive in Belgium without foaming?

DougC123 likes this.
  6. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (446) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

A balanced email to Hoegaarden's brewery is not based on PSI, rather the kPa setting (unless their email software is old fashioned and insists on bar).

For the OP: I know all you want is to pour something tasty, so ignore my smart-assed remarks and search Google, your answer awaits.

7. DougC123

Subscriber

I'll admit it. I was dicky. The factual stuff is still true despite my attitude.

8. billandsuz

billandsuz Aspirant (292) Sep 1, 2004 New York

i'll one up you and be that guy.

you're going to work for a while to get your pours where you like them. with the desired amount of foam and a tolerable temperature.

then you'll determine keg by keg if you need to increase or decrease your regulator 1 psi.

you know why you have a hard time finding out the vols of each beer you put on? because for every home system that gets one keg, the distro moves 10,000 kegs commercial accounts. and the commercial bar does not rebalance the system. you can easily have a good pint of SN and Hoegaarden. you can have perfection, but in all honesty, you might not even be able to get it dialed in correctly. you are getting fine pours at your favorite craft bar, all the same temperature, all the same system usually with different applied pressure at the regulator. almost always without fail.
    Cheers.

IceAce likes this.
  9. Ogbassist182

Thanks, I already bought it a few weeks ago.

I've searched a lot but i've found nothing.

10. DougC123

Subscriber

I'm not sure what the aversion is to emailing, they have a website which lets you select English as your language, and a tab for contacting them. You select the tab and it takes you to AB / InBev customer service.

This is way harder than it has to be.

11. DougC123

Subscriber

So lets say you still can't bring yourself to email them. Here are your choices based on what we know:
    SNPA is 2.6, Hoegaarden might be because it is an InBev product, you have no problem. Hoegaarden might be as high as 3, which means you need to decide what to balance to. If you balance to 2.6 the Hoegaarden will be undercarbed and be flatter than it is supposed to be. If you balance to 3 the SNPA will be over carbed and likely foam. You could shoot the difference and target 2.8 and make each a little sub optimal.

Oooooooor, you could get a proper regulator set up to allow you to serve different products.

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,569) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

13. DougC123

Subscriber

I emailed for you....here is the answer, not excpetionally specific, but a starting point.

"Trevor here with Hoegaarden. Thanks for being patient while I was looking into your request. I wanted to let you know that a keg of our brew contains between 2.2-2.5 volumes of Co2."

14. billandsuz

billandsuz Aspirant (292) Sep 1, 2004 New York

2.2-2.5 seems fairly low for this beer, but if that is what they are saying so be it. someone should tell Draftmore that they are way off.

this goes to show that while it is nice to know the vols of each beer you place on line, it is generally an educated guess and most everyone will get good results with some intuition. there is really no great need to contact the brewery in most situations, unless you want to. and even then they give a range.

Cheers.

IceAce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

No fake news here. Get real beer content delivered to your doorstep every month.

Subscribe