Holiday Beers Tasting (Dec 15-17)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thebeers, Dec 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,363) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Tis the Season, BAs!

With less than two weeks left, it’s time to start getting ready for the most wonderful online tasting of the year: Holiday Beers!

The 2023 tasting goes from December 15 - 17.

Any and all Christmas, Hanukkah and other festive winter beers are welcome.

For those who’d like a recommendation of what to imbibe, once again this year we have a totally-optional “drink ‘em if you’ve got ‘em” suggestion for each day of the tasting:
    • Friday, 12/15: Sam Adams Old Fezziwig — a U.S. Winter Warmer a lot of you old heads used to look forward to, and something the younger crowd may have missed; now back in six packs!
    • Saturday, 12/16: Delirium Noël — a Belgian Dark Strong Ale with a pink elephant on the label; what could go wrong?
    • Sunday, 12/17: Hofbräu Winter Spezial — a German Doppelbock some find easy-drinking despite being the strongest of all HB beers.
    Three countries. Three styles. Three winter classics. What better way to jumpstart the holidays?

Reviewing the same beers on the same day with others is a chance for BAs to compare notes and toast the season together — but the choice is yours.

Prefer to drink a completely different holiday brew those days? Or one of the three suggested beers on a different day? Go for it!

Anchor Our Special Ale? Doggie Claws? Chanukah in Kentucky? Avec les Bon Voeux? Sleigh’r? Hardywood Gingerbread Stout? Fistmas? Shiner Holiday Cheer? Deschutes Jubelale? Victory Merry Monkey? Troegs Mad Elf? Scaldis Noel? We want to hear what you think about them and hundreds of others!

Trees? Menorah? Cookie pairings? Pets? Ugly sweaters? We want to see decked out drinking halls in the background of your beer pics, too!

Tell us what you’re considering here and/or post pictures of your hauls to help get us all the holiday spirit. :beers:

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I do not have any of the three brands specifically listed but I will be participating with the holiday themed beers I already have in my cellar. So far: St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA and Sly Fox Mad Elf.

[​IMG]

GreenBayBA, vurt, russpowell and 19 others like this.
  3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Slip of the tongue, or planning a Cuvee of Tröegs Mad Elf and Sly Fox Christmas Ale? :wink:

GreenBayBA, vurt, Premo88 and 13 others like this.
  4. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (4,930) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@zdraco with those Mad Elf heading your way, this would be a fun thread to share one of em!

GreenBayBA, vurt, russpowell and 13 others like this.
  5. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly Zealot (521) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Already cellared: St. Bernadus Christmas, Scaldis Noel, Corsendonk Christmas, Chouffe N'Ice, Mad Elf, assorted Winter Warmers...it goes on and on.
    On the QT for Gouden Carolus Christmas, maybe the best of the lot...

GreenBayBA, vurt, russpowell and 16 others like this.
  6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have some beers on hand that will fit the theme. Fresh in the fridge I've some cans of Forest & Main's Merriment and Ommegang's Everything Naughty. Then in the cellar I've got a few older vintages of Doggie Claws and Samichlaus, plus some Mad Elf Grand Cru and Fegley's Rude Elf Reserve from last winter.

I'm a big fan of St Bernardus Christmas Ale so might pick up some bottles of that for the holidays
    [​IMG]

GreenBayBA, vurt, Premo88 and 20 others like this.
  7. Spade

Spade Pooh-Bah (2,034) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sounds fun. I've been cutting back lately but will have a few offerings and may look for some singles.

GreenBayBA, vurt, Premo88 and 13 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

That sounds like a tasty blend but just a screw up stating Sly Fox vs. Troegs.

Cheers!

GreenBayBA, vurt, Premo88 and 10 others like this.
  9. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Very nice! 2010 is my favorite Doggie Claws vintage.

10. thebeers

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think I’ve got one of those squirreled away. This might be the year for it.

11. CBlack85

CBlack85 Pooh-Bah (2,258) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am so looking forward to this!!

I love me some Holiday Beers! (and summer beers, and spring beers, and fall beers...)

12. BJB13

BJB13 Pooh-Bah (2,194) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]

Holiday haul so far. All singles. If anything hits me right I will try to procure more of it, if possible.
    Cheers!

#12 BJB13, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  13. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That new Victory is delish, hope you enjoy as much as I did :beers:

14. BJB13

Pooh-Bah Society

Nice! Just read your review. I believe I have been inspired. :laughing:

GreenBayBA, Premo88, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  15. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I accept no responsibility should you not enjoy it, or if you find other tasting notes :grin:

Looking forward to seeing your post in a few weeks.

GreenBayBA, Premo88, Amendm and 7 others like this.
  16. BJB13

Pooh-Bah Society

LOL. Pressure is on now. I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't disappear before the tasting...worst case, I'll buy more. :beers:

GreenBayBA, Premo88, Amendm and 6 others like this.
  17. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Grand Pooh-Bah (4,023) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you @tolar111 for your idea and reviving the planning thread (did it move from the Beer Talk thread or was it always in the Beer Advocate Talk thread)? Thank you also @thebeers for hosting this great event.

I intend to host three Chicago Christmas / Winter offerings, perhaps a few new to me options, and weather depending a visit to one or two breweries.

Need to hit Beer on the Wall for some singles. Merry Christmas and see you all the following weekend!

18. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm going to try a cuvee of Troegs Mad Elf and Troegs Grand Cacao - supposed to taste like a chocolate covered cherry, I will let y'all know how it turns out!

19. thebeers

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m a big supporter of cuvées. Looking forward to reading about this one. :beers:

GreenBayBA, Premo88, Amendm and 8 others like this.
  20. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll try to track down one of those single day beers! I'm also pumped to drink some Stille Nacht from De Dolle - my favorite beer of the season!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.