Holy Mountain Brewing Company Update/Status

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by HolyMtn, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolyMtn

HolyMtn Initiate (68) Mar 26, 2013 Washington

Hey guys,

I wanted to post a quick little status report on our project, who we are, at what we're about. I finally have a little bit of down time from the craziness of the past few weeks. We will be updating our website really soon with info about the Tap Room, directions, and all that fun stuff.

Our brewery is made up of three owners. Colin (me, Head Brewer, welder, and Master Squegee Technician) Adam (President, Brewer, Master Carpenter) and Mike (Head of Sales, FRP installer, Master Concrete Table Maker and Painter). We all wear some crazy hats. Over the last year, we somehow turned a completely empty Warehouse next to Pier 91 into a brewery, tasting room, and barrel facility.

Adam and I met about 5 years ago when we were homebrewers, after an introduction from a friend who knew we were both making a lot of Brett and sour beer. We both had recently moved out of our respective houses and moved in with our girlfriends after getting engaged. Not wanting to loose the momentum of what we were learning, and also not having a place to keep the massive amount of equipment we had, started looking for a space to rent out. We found a large spot off of East Marginal Way in a building full of artists, metal workers, a bondage hemp rope maker, and a motorcycle gang.

After brewing together at what became known as "The Lab" for a couple of months, it became apparent that we both shared the same vision for opening up a brewery in Seattle. The basis and foundation of Holy Mountain was started right then. The Lab then became a proving and test ground for all things brewing. Yeast strains and analysis, malt selection, and hop experimentation. Sour beers, Brett beers, hoppy beers and lagers we're brewed again and again. I knew from volunteering at other breweries and having a group of friends that were professional brewers, that we couldn't do this without some real world experience. I quit my current job, got a job at a local brewery, and became a sponge learning all I could and making contacts. Meanwhile, Adam started working on the business plan and getting the ball rolling setting the business up. During my time at Schooner Exact, I met Mike who was in charge of sales. After getting to know him and his passion for great beer, we knew he was the missing piece of the puzzle, and the three of us joined forces.

The next three years became a roller coaster of talking to investors, setting everything in place legally, and finding funding. After walking away from a large offering, we downsized our original plan, and everything came together. We signed a least on our current space on January 1st, 2014. Since then, it's been a million miles a second.

Our main focus: Brew the beers we want to drink. No shtick, just good beer. For example, I'm a total lager nerd. I love to brew them because they are somewhat challenging, and I think a testament to a brewers process and skills. I can also drink 5 or 6, and feel great the next morning. We all like sessionable and clean beer and appreciate a well made product. We decided not to play the IPA game around town. There are plenty of other great breweries who make an awesome product that are available everywhere. Instead we will brew our hoppy beers for consumption at our Tap Room where they are available fresh from the source. You can expect to see a wide selection of styles from across the board, as you'll see from our opening tap list (it's awesome!)

The heart and soul of our operation though, is in our barrels. From day one of starting production, our very first batch, we've been filling barrels. Base for blending sour beer, building Brett and lacto cultures, and everything else under the sun that has to do with funky, wild and sour beer. We are building and growing the cultures we have been using and holding onto for years, and they are really starting to shine. We'll be making lots of trips over the mountains this spring and summer to pick up the bounties of all the amazing fruit available, and have a couple of really cool projects in the works. We have a dedicated 20hl Foudre for primary fermentation of Farmhouse beers and Saison, and are looking to pick some more up in the very near future for some other products. We're anxiously awaiting our bottling line to be able to start blending these beers and doing them justice to condition in the bottle. You can expect to see these beers start making an appearance in spring most likely. Very excited about our clean barrel aged beers as well. Midnight Still, our Imperial Stout, is really starting to come together and is tasting great. Lots of cool projects planned for these as well.

We're extremely excited to open and are very close. We hit a snag on a permit that has been holding us up, but we're almost there. We look forward to making Holy Mountain a great place to meet up with friends, make some new ones, and share in the passion of great beer. It's been a long road for us, but a fun one. I look forward to showing some of you around the brewery in the future and talking shop. Feel free to hit me up if ever any questions. Happy Holidays, everyone. 8:15 AM isn't too early for a beer, is it?

Colin

2. PacNWDad

PacNWDad Disciple (371) Sep 24, 2011 Washington

Congratulations on getting it up and running. I have enjoyed the HM beers available at Chucks. Gotta try that stout!

HolyMtn likes this.
  3. fsck

fsck Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Washington

Thank for the update, I think everyone is eager to see how good the BA stuff will be. Any idea when the first batch of brett saisons will be ready (or will other BA stuff come first)? Or any hints on the style of the Pine Box anniversary beer?

HolyMtn likes this.
  4. HolyMtn

I can't predict an exact date, but like I said in the post, we're looking at spring time for some initial releases. Nothing will be released before it's time. Stay tuned for Third Nail. It's up to Pinebox to release any details.

fsck likes this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

Dang, can't we let some brothers get open before we start beating 'em over their rarez? :wink:

brandonwnw, kemoarps, woemad and 4 others like this.
  6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Champion (812) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Sessionable clean beers AND barrel aged sours ... now that's music to my ears. Will be nice to have a local brewery making lagers. I'm really excited to check your place out.

Saw the pic from facebook ... did you brew something with Gabe Fletcher?

sergeantstogie, HolyMtn and beertunes like this.
  7. HolyMtn

Gabe stopped by to say hi and sticker our parking signs while he was in town to check out his new Brewhouse.

8. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

So happy to have our first sour/wild brewery here in WA! But I need to know one thing.... Hemp rope bondage? Quality? Price? BDSM bondage? Collab with them soon?
    Welcome to the neighborhood and congrats on Kaylee

kemoarps and HolyMtn like this.
  9. TheBungyo

Wait, sorry... HIS new brewhouse? Am I reading that right?

Loved Equinox by the way. How big is the tasting room?

10. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,067) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I cannot wait to visit the brewrry. Nothing but solid beers that I've had from you guys around Seattle.

HolyMtn likes this.
  11. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (87) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

I am guessing it will be some kind of "farmhouse" style funky saison-ish beer aged in white wine barrels???

From Pine Box and Holy Mountain Facebook pages:

Early notice for The Pine Box's 3rd Anniversary party is set for Saturday, March 21st. 3 years has gone by so quickly. Saturday, March 21st we'll be tapping a bunch of crazy beers and releasing our 3rd Nail Anniversary Ale from Holy Mountain Brewing. Stay tuned for details.

White wine barrels soon to be filled with our 3rd anniversary beer by our friends at Holy Mountain Brewing.
    [​IMG]

First batch is in the tank. One more tomorrow. Awesome brew day with Pine Box.
    [​IMG]

fsck likes this.
  12. HolyMtn

His fabricator is in the Pac. NW. His Brewhouse is super pimp.

Thanks, Equinox was a cool hop. Planning on brewing a lot of FH beers next season.

sharpski and distantmantra like this.
  13. distantmantra

Trader

Do you have a tentative time frame/window for the taproom opening? Since you're 21+ I had to do some game-planning and I've already gotten a free pass from the wife to come for opening night. I cannot express how excited I am to visit.

14. HolyMtn

Thanks a bunch! I know we can't make everyone happy, and we don't aim to. Like I said, we brew the stuff we want to drink. The stuff that takes a little longer will be ready when it's ready. We believe in brewing and releasing products with purpose and intent. If it's not good enough and doesn't meet our standards, it goes down the drain.

fsck likes this.
  15. HolyMtn

I wish I could give you an exact date, but I would look like an ass because I know it wouldn't be right. We're very close, and I think it's safe to say within the first couple weeks of January. It will be a pretty soft open too, so keep checking with us. We're keeping it loose!

fsck and distantmantra like this.
  16. fsck

Awesome! That's what I was interested in and completely missed that post. If it just went in, they probably can't finish a funky farmhouse in 3 months?

17. distantmantra

Trader

No worries. Barrel stuff is great, but keep making some tasty low ABV beers, I'm digging them.

HolyMtn likes this.
  18. fsck

They're making tasty low abv barrel aged stuff as well though. I'm more interested in the common lager, gose, and saisons (in barrels) than the big stouts. That's where they can fill a large hole in our market.

19. distantmantra

Trader

The lager and gose they did were fantastic. The saison didn't taste like much, but House of the Holy saison they did with Engine House No. 9 last Winter/Spring was really nice.

I don't really care about BA whalez. If they come out, great. If not, great.

20. suncrust

suncrust Initiate (173) Apr 17, 2011 Washington

@HolyMtn - Will the taproom be dog friendly?

I expect a heavy rotation of Sleep vinyl on the speaks as well....

distantmantra likes this.
  21. HolyMtn

We won't be dog friendly to open. We're working on some stuff for down the road though. Everyone who works here loves dogs and kids. Well behaved ones :wink:.

distantmantra likes this.
  22. HolyMtn

At this point, The Saison and Farmhouse styles we make are almost all destined for wood. We're still awaiting our filling machine, so things will start getting rolling quickly when these beers are ready to come out of wood. A portion of Seer went into white barrels last week with Brett. We have The Goat, one of our rustic Saisons brewed a couple months ago, sitting in the foudre with Brett chomping away at it. The Ox, brewed with fresh citrus, is going into barrels early next week. There will be a small amount pulled clean for draft that will be on at the Tap Room opening.

We've invested heavily into all aspects of wood aging, whether it be primary fermentation of something clean, or something that doesn't see the light of day for 1.5 years. We definitely have some fun releases planned for down the road at the brewery. In the meantime, we'll keep turning out quality clean beers to enjoy.

kemoarps, fsck and distantmantra like this.
  23. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (481) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

24. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,516) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Not trying to be a jerk but what's the point of saying "clean beers" all the time. Is it to imply that many or most local brewers are not making clean beers? Or that non-clean beers are some trend you're fighting against? And what exactly is your definition of clean? Is it just well crafted and without flaws...or is there some larger stylistic point you're making?

And, if not a statement regarding other beers out there that you are opposed to in some way, then isn't saying "clean" redundant?

25. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,159) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I think he's just distinguishing between beers fermented with only sacc vs. the introduction of lacto, brett, etc.

26. HolyMtn

Exactly, Sharpski. I'm talking about our beers that are fermented without the use of wild yeast and bacteria. For example, the Common Lager that's just finished up. It went through primary fermentation in Rye barrels with Sacchromyces. No other types of yeast or cultures were used. No signs of any sort of bacteria post fermentation. It's in no way a dig or anything at all to do with other beers made by anyone else. Defintely not trying to set or fight any sort of trend, or an implication that anyone's beer is dirty. Is a term we've used for years.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  27. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (99) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Don't want to derail the informative 'clean' dialogue that will be forthcoming but I will share what goes through my head every time I click this thread.

Ronnie James Dio. May he rest at peace. The name 'Holy Mountain" is a portmanteau of sorts for me. Anyone want to guess how AKA demonstrate to the community how old I actually am?

28. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,501) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm not much of a sour fan, but the DIPA I tried on tap at the Red Hot last night was impressive. If that's an indication of what they're capable of, then I can't wait to try some of their other stuff as well.

Any idea about distribution at this point? While there's certainly plenty of good beer made down in Oregon, there's always room for more. Best of luck and hope to see more of your beer soon!

29. Kurmaraja

Trader

Nice. I didn't mean to set up confrontations, but the way it was being used had the feel of a manifesto. And then, on the other hand, I've heard people talk about some brett beers as clean examples so just wanted to clarify.

I hope you make some "dirty" beers down the road as well. May go well worth some weeded out doom metal.

30. Kurmaraja

Trader

Holy Diver should definitely be on the play list.

31. chinochino

That is half of it.........:wink:

32. TheBungyo

The name makes me think of Alejandro Jodorowsky's film The Holy Mountain.

Black_Rider and woemad like this.
  33. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,080) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'm guessing you're combining "Holy Diver" and "Man on the Silver Mountain". (Which also demonstrates to the community how old I am.)

woemad, TaborTime and chinochino like this.
  34. chinochino

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner !!!

Now everyone else, get the hell off my lawn :slight_smile:

HolyMtn, vurt and distantmantra like this.
  35. HolyMtn

Not at all. Always happy to answer any and all questions. In the cellar, (stainless and wood) we have to differentiate between clean and wild, funky, sour, equipment. Everything is separate, but we have to be extremely careful with sanitation as everything lives so close to one another.

We have a great selection of Brett and sour barrels to pull from soon. We worked hard on those right from the start. We've got some really awesome Brett And sour cultures we've been working with for the past few years, and some really cool stuff that Shane from E9 has been growing up at his place that he's been awesome in letting us have a bit to play with. That guy has an insane catalog to pull from and some really awesome stuff in the works.

kemoarps, Sanderson, fsck and 4 others like this.
  36. HolyMtn

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Just dry hopped another version earlier this week that is promising to be really nice.

We're always going to self distribute in the Seattle area. We love Portland and all its great brewers and people. Looking forward to some visits in the near future. Especially Craft Brewers Conference!

kemoarps and fsck like this.
  37. Texwild

Texwild Initiate (77) May 1, 2008 Washington
    Industry

Congratulations on getting close to opening. You guys are doing it right. Had a great farmhouse last night. So good a had to have two. Please feel free to call if you need anything...we have a sweet lab up and running now if you need some lab work FYI.

kemoarps, punkhim, TreeBear and 5 others like this.
  38. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Man I love the dialog on this. I'd love to travel up there to check it out.

39. HolyMtn

Thanks a bunch, Texwild. Really appreciate that! Every time I swing by your place, I want to have two of everything!

kemoarps and Kurmaraja like this.
  40. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (87) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

The Pine Box crew came in today to wash and fill their barrels. Excellent job guys!

[​IMG]

fsck and beertunes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.