1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Homage Brewing 2019

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Drift, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Drift

Drift Disciple (394) Mar 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Any fans here?

They are going to be releasing on 02/02/2019

Peche Verbena - BA Saison in red wine barrels w/ Lemons and Masumoto Peaches - 1PP

HopHead89 and Serna714 like this.
  2. kdub15

kdub15 Initiate (25) Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

nice! i am waiting on Chat Flou 2018 and the Kriek to be released. Those are my favorites besides Wild Pink Robots

Serna714 likes this.
  3. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (773) Jul 1, 2009 California

I'll be there on 2-10 downing some of their hazy's & IPA's. Yes, I hear great things about their other styles too. When I visit Pomona I stop in Homage.

4. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (71) Jul 2, 2013 California

Wasn't there talk of a second location closer to/in LA?

J-loco likes this.
  5. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (117) Feb 1, 2018 California

Yes near HPB

6. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (522) Jul 9, 2010 California

Still waiting on DTLA Homage

pro100, shoegaze, kdub15 and 2 others like this.
  7. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Disciple (371) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Needs to have online sales though, not waiting outside in line in Pomona, especially during summer.

IcyTrout likes this.
  8. dcgunman

Wait. Line for Homage bottles? I know Homage beers are good. But a line?

9. Frosty11161

Society Trader

Yep

10. dcgunman

:sunglasses:
    I'll be there this Sunday. Guess I'll try some of their other offerings besides IPA's.

11. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (161) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Chat Flou went up in price from $22 to $25. Wonder if it's due to their increased exposure.

12. dispensingchem

dispensingchem Initiate (21) Sep 19, 2017 California
    Trader

Its one of their big releases each year and I am assuming by everything I see from the hard work they post on insta that they have been increasing bottle counts every year meaning each year represent a larger scope of work. Still well in line with the likes of Casa or Cellador so I wouldn't take any umbrage to the price as the work that I've tasted from them in the last year has been brilliant and getting even better. TLDR don't sleep on it..

Serna714 likes this.
  13. cjajce

cjajce Initiate (47) Dec 20, 2013 California
    Trader

How are their releases? I don’t do lines anymore and was planning on showing up around 3 PM. They didn’t list a bottle count or limit pp, so is it safe to assume I’d be okay?

14. AyeDogg

Trader

Their releases are kinda hard to predict sometimes. Some will sell out within the evening, some will last till the following day.

I anticipate the line to be long like last years Wild Pink Robots release.

15. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (96) Dec 6, 2014 California

Anyone heard about them opening an LA location in Chinatown (next to HP)?

I think Homage is something like the SARA of Southern Cali. Everything I have tried from them has been world class.

16. sponger

sponger Initiate (189) Mar 30, 2011 California
    Trader

People have to pay for that stupid wicker basket they put the bottle in, to then pour out of.

dirtyhalos likes this.
  17. dcgunman

Had stopped in Homage this weekend (both Sat/Sun). Was in Pomona for a concert on Sat and Sun. Saturday I got there around 4 and their Chat Flou was already sold out on draft and bottles. So I went for their 3 hazy ipa’s. All 3 were good to pretty good. Blue In Green was my favorite. Ended up with a couple of crowlers to go. Sunday I stuck with BinG again and Velouria IPA and one of their stouts. This weekend was my 3rd and 4th time (in 3-4 years) visiting Homage. If your in Pomona for an event or passing through I would recommend a stop at Homage. World class? Well maybe the brewery has class with some of its styles. They are doing some collaborations with well known brewery’s these days. Today they are bottling and collab with Beachwood Blendery that should be released soon. They just did a collab with Other Half that didn’t get released at Homage (only at OH). Now Other Half is world class in my book. I believe Homage won GABF last year and they are making waves here in California. They definitely have improved every time I visit. Some Folks say their hazy ipa’s are a Monks spinoff? To early to tell. I did like all 3 hazy IPA’s they had to offer. Looking for their opening in Chinatown area?

AyeDogg likes this.
  18. cquiroga

cquiroga Initiate (162) Oct 14, 2004 California

This 2018 vintage of Chat Flou is fantastic. That is all.

UnknownKoger and Bennettrox like this.
  19. Bennettrox

Bennettrox Aspirant (258) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Agreed!

That said, they could really use some work on processing the line. Not sure what number I was but I arrived ~30min before opening and didn't make it to checkout until 2pm (1hr after opening). Looked like they were running 2 registers for everything (bottles, pours, and fills). The staff was great but man that line moved at a snails pace.

20. IcyTrout

Or, you know, just get with the times and do online releases. I don't understand why anyone would want a line em up shit show in 2019 when there are so many more customer friendly options.

cjajce and Frosty11161 like this.
  21. Drift

Drift Disciple (394) Mar 26, 2014 California
    Trader

2018 Chat Flou is awesome! Cant wait for Wild Pink Robots again.

22. cjajce

cjajce Initiate (47) Dec 20, 2013 California
    Trader

But how are they going to build up hype on Instagram without a story showing how long the line is?

23. IcyTrout

do they really do that?

24. AyeDogg

Trader

Yes they did.

25. IcyTrout

"hey look at us we really love inconveniencing our customers, aren't we great!?!?!"

lanedlr likes this.
  26. AyeDogg

Trader

Now I feel ashamed lol

27. lanedlr

lanedlr Aspirant (289) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Customers: 'hey look at us willing to stand in a line and play into FOMO mentality...'

IcyTrout likes this.
  28. cquiroga

Have any of you guys ever actually been to Homage? The place is tiny.

I'm all for coming up with better, more efficient processes, but I could actually see why having an in-person bottle release might be the best solution for them, for now. For one, it allows them to dedicate their limited resources to handling the sales within a finite timeframe-- they know that "all hands" need to be there on the day of the release for at least a few hours, to get through the line crunch. If they did online sales, they would need to figure out a way to store all of those bottles on-site for the duration of the pick-up window, and also to integrate some kind of pick-up tracking/sign-off system into their bartenders' work so that people don't somehow lose out on bottles that they purchased online. I know it's not rocket science, and I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but I could see why they might not want to do that. The place is tiny.

And if you've ever been there on a busy concert night or Pomona Art Walk night-- when there are a ton of people coming through who have probably never purchased a bottle of beer online in their entire lives-- you could probably understand why they might not want to have random beer nerds (not exactly known for their humility, empathy, compassion, and patience) dropping by for bottle pick-ups during that time. The place is tiny.

Maybe one workaround would be conducting online sales, say, a week or so in advance of the in-person pickup date, and requiring that people who pre-purchased online would go in-person on one specific date to pick up their bottles, at risk of forfeiture. I'd be in favor of that, as it would mostly mitigate the strain of a line crunch for all. But I can also see how it doesn't support locals as much as the "pure" in-person sales system does, so maybe that's part of the reason Homage does things their current way. And I could also certainly see beer nerds complaining about a ridiculously short pick-up window. Plus, online sales systems all require some kind of fee, usually a few bucks or so per item, which might make people complain again (like those who were unhappy with the jump from $22 to $25 per bottle for this vintage of Chat Flou).

Every system has its drawbacks.

And just in case you guys didn't know, Homage often holds back some bottles of most of their beers, and will put them out in their small fridge there for on-site consumption only-- weeks or even months after the initial release. So there are certainly going to be other opportunities to have a taste of this or most any other bottle release of theirs, even if you missed out because you couldn't make the in-person sale (or just because you are morally opposed to the concept of the in-person sales system). I would highly, highly encourage you all to drop in and check out their beers, and cross your fingers and hope there are some nice bottles in the fridge to enjoy (or check out their social media, where they sometimes post glimpses of what's in the fridge).

I was really impressed this weekend with how far along their hoppy beers have come, and I believe they are going to continue to get better and better. And if you haven't tried many of their funky saisons and barrel-aged sour stuff, you are truly missing out on some of the best mixed-fermentation beers around. I'd say this batch of Chat Flou is one of the best Masumoto peach beers in recent memory, maybe ever. In short... Homage is tiny. But awesome.

29. IcyTrout

Yes, I went to a release, noticed the line was wrapped almost around the entire building without moving at all and left. That is 100% a problem for the business as it is lost money. If it was an online system people could come spread out over a weekend or a week and I would have bought pours. Instead I said fuck this place, they have their head in their asses.

30. Frosty11161

Society Trader

Been there twice, most recent time was summer? last year and only thing on tap was hazy ipas and the to go fridge was just cold brew.

I get it's tiny, but other places that are/were just as small, e.g. HPB pre-Chinatown & Monkish, have all had online sales and pickups too. Went to school at Cal Poly Pomona, and downtown is not a comfortable place to stand outside when the temps creep up. Perhaps once they expand to LA they may have better storage?

dcgunman likes this.
  31. cquiroga

It lost *your* money. It sold those bottles to someone else.

Either you didn't read my post (understandable), or you don't agree with or don't understand how it could be to a business's detriment to change from the in-person sales system to an online sales system with extended pickup window.

In this day and age, I think any beer nerd should pretty much know that in-person sales for a prized bottle (or can) release will entail lots of waiting in line and potential heartache if the release sells out before you get to the front. You either sign up for that or you don't (I almost never do, personally). It's not worth getting upset over, in my opinion, and it's not worth missing out on all of the many other opportunities to drink great beers from these great breweries by holding some kind of vendetta or boycott against them because they did an in-person bottle sale.

YMMV, IMHO, GLTY.

HaoleToYou and Frosty11161 like this.
  32. cquiroga

Monkish has always been way bigger than Homage.

HPB in its earliest days is fairly comparable, but I'd say they were bigger too. They've always had a 7-bbl system, for one thing, and Homage is a 5-bbl system. And in terms of square footage, you could say that HPB had a smaller footprint for the brewing space, but they also had certain things they could lean on to "swell" that Homage does not and cannot-- the parking lot, the Hermosillo, the refrigerated shipping container in the back, the fenced-in area right in front of their roll-up doors, the hallway near the Hermosillo's kitchen for bottle-conditioning/storage. I know some of those things were built out gradually over time, but the point is that Homage has very limited options for flexing in quite that same way, or like most breweries that you could compare them to.

This could be part of the reason it makes sense for them to have in-person sales-- they can bring all of the cases of beer from their off-site storage (where the bottles were conditioning), and they can hope that the bottles will sell out in one day and there will be no need to make room for extended on-site storage throughout the duration of the pick-up window.

HaoleToYou likes this.
  33. Frosty11161

Society Trader

Ha maybe it's because every time I've been to Monkish it's been stupidly packed.

They make good stuff, just like you mentioned earlier, in person pickup is kinda a loaded situation that is just ripe for heartbreak. I look forward to the new taproom, and hope that with the new acreage they adjust the model.

34. IcyTrout

Oh really? So tell me how they sold the pours of beer that day to someone else? Sorry, but no. Maybe they EVENTUALLY sold those pours to someone else, but wouldn't a business rather sell beer now instead of turn away customers due to an unnecessary line? The beers I wanted that day did not tap out that day, they were on tap for a while after the release.

35. dcgunman

I was there Saturday. Not for the release. For a couple of pints or 3 before a concert around the corner from Homage. But I figured I'd give their Chat Flou a try. It was already sold out on draft and bottles. No big deal. I had their hazy IPA's and a stout. But I thought "damn" how many were there in line for the Chat Flou? They open at 1pm on weekends and I got there at 4. So in 2-2 1/2 they sold out? And this place is small. Homage is definitely on the map. Maybe when they open up in Chinatown they will be on the bigger map?

IcyTrout likes this.
  36. IcyTrout

I wonder what the progress is on that? I for sure can't wait to add them to my HPB and Modern Times trips.

dcgunman likes this.
  37. cquiroga

Yeah, you didn't read my earlier post. It's ok.

The TL;DR of it is that Homage needs to get those bottles out and move on to the next thing, so they're not having to store them on-site.

I get that *you* wanted them to store them on-site for you to come pick up at your convenience, and that you would have enjoyed a couple of beers in the tasting room on your visit. But maybe they just don't have the setup to accommodate that system.

HaoleToYou likes this.
  38. cquiroga

omg. i got there at 4:45. so ur tellin me i coulda met gunz live in the flesh and shot the shit over some monks nostalgia....

dcgunman, J-loco and Frosty11161 like this.
  39. IcyTrout

Right, so they are losing out on customers with this strategy IMO. You clearly disagree which is fine but they have less of my money today then they would have if they did an online strategy.

40. dcgunman

I was there till 520ish and walked over to the Rookery for some grub and another pint before the gig.

Frosty11161 likes this.