Homebrewers' Tasting Rooms

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PapaGoose03, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I discovered this place while on a vacation trip last week in Florida. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/40139/ It is pretty much a typical brewpub with a brewing system (just a 2- or 3-barrel system) but they invite homebrewers to come in and brew batches of their recipes, which then go on tap here (usually 3-8 beers) along with a number of other commercial craft beers to fill up the 20 available taps. They also offer about 50 bottles or cans of other craft beers, including 6-8 meads, ciders, etc. I think it's a cool idea for the local homebrewers, and if it were closer to me I'd support it regularly.

I'm curious if anyone knows of other places like this that I can check out and support if I happen to be close by in my travels?

Hesscabob and HerbMeowing like this.
  2. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely go for the 4 USD boiled peanuts.
    Stay for the home brew.

Nuttin'like that there near my woods.

3. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

No thanks; I tried boiled peanuts once in my life and that was enough. I'm just not into that part of the Southern cusine. :wink:

HerbMeowing likes this.
  4. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2015 Louisiana

How do you boil your own peanuts? I dump a good bit of crab boil and some salt in em and keep on the stove for about 4 hours. The last girl i was seeing was allergic to peanuts and i didnt know but i was boiling some the first time she came to the house and the steam got her all messed up haha.

Mag00n likes this.
  5. bluehende

bluehende Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I would definitely go to a place like this. I would even love to brew for one.

GreenKrusty101 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Arbor Brewing's Ypsilanti Production brewery often has one beer per week done by homebrewers on the "pilot system" which is a 10 gallon Homebrew set up. I don't know if it is still every week.
    http://www.arborbrewing.com/stuff/rat-pad/

They are having teams of homebrewers from different clubs brew now for the " Rat Fest" in a couple of months.
    Here is the 2014 blurb, no fest in 2015 due to brewery expansion work.
    http://www.arborbrewing.com/celebrate-homebrewing-us-rat-fest-2014/?age-verified=c791fd2f30

ChrisMyhre and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

In theory, it sounds really cool, and I'd like to check something like it out, and also contribute. In reality, what's the vetting process, and also, I'd like to know the legal ins and outs of ownership of the recipe.

8. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

I didn't ask any questions regarding the vetting of the brewers, and I'll guess that the ownership of the recipes would depend on any per-agreement as a condition of the brewing. I will also guess that the liability of any adverse personal injury events regarding the beer would fall upon the brewery owner since it's likely that the law would look at the home brewer as an employee who is being supervised by the owner. However, I won't take a guess how the workers comp liability would be covered for a non-paid home brewer. I'm pretty sure that the bartender said that the owner is also a brewer because he said that I was trying one of his beers the night that I was there, thus he is able to 'supervise' the brewing process and protect for his liability responsibility.

9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Recipes are a dime a dozen, you can't copyright them, if you want to "own it" you keep it secret. Process and equipment are more Important than an ingredient list. I've done a number of my beers at breweries, and I can say that they turn out similar, but not exactly the same.

You are going to make a commercial beer on a breweries system, using their ingredients, under the supervision of their Brewer who will be the brewer of record for the TTB paperwork. An accomplished Homebrewer will not need much hand holding, others need more. If you brew on a small pilot system everything will be straight forward. If you you make a 7 bbl or up batch, then adjustments are made for different efficiencies and utilizations. You may need to make adjustments for the ingredients they have in stock, or they might special order something special, but that may mean some extra cash outlay on their part. You might have to work with their house yeast in some cases, but not for a Homebrew sized batch.

ChrisMyhre and PapaGoose03 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.