Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DocT, Apr 5, 2013.
Brewing ritual, my friend. I live on the edge.
I do too, waaayyy on the inside edge.
I brew in clogs too, but I don't recommend it. I have multiple burn scars on my feet from my idiotic tendencies. But for some reason I keep putting them on every time I brew.
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but one thing I was surprised that wasnt mentioned was VENTILATION!! Once again a pretty common sense thing to mostly all of us that brew indoors all the time. But I have even been guilty of forgetting the exhaust fans in the garage in the dead of winter for 30 minutes or so. Carbon monoxide builds in your system, so even if your not continually exposed to it, it could still get you.
As far as glass goes, yeah I got the milk crate, and a neck handle for moving it empty. Just one of those things, if you EXPECT IT to happen you will ALWAYS be taking every precaution to prevent it.
Make sure your wind screen is secure for your outdoor boil on a breezy day. If that happens to be a plastic tarp and you 'sort of' fastened it, you might want to check more often than I did. Fortunately only big tarp holes, no pieces going in the boil (or torching the house as a secondary concern).
I wear my work shoes almost all the time. Vinyl kitchen clogs made by Birkenstock. They last a long time and can stand up to temperature and grease. good enough for the kitchen is good enough for brewing.
I brew with a pretty basic set up. I have two boiling kettles that I use and i syphon out the wort through a copper coil chiller in ice water in the sink to my primary fermenter. well, i use an auto syphon to start the process and after pumping about 5 times i realize that i don't have a great seal on one of my cupplings so i have to KEEP pumping to get it going, well then i realize the syphon started bending and it started over flowing from the top of the syphon. so i'm spilling hot wort all over myself and my friend, screaming bloody murder because it fucking burns. we can't stop obviously, so we have to keep going, just cursing the brew gods..
fuck that sucked.. time to get a few new additions to my set up huh? :-/
Be careful of the bottom lips of your keggle. I warmed up some cleaning solution, maybe 100F. Had my hands in it, washed the sides of the keg, all was great. Flipped it over to dump the solution down the floor drain and hit my arm on the lip running around the bottom. 2nd degree burn, massive blisters, lasting scar. Skin turned white and peeled right off. Just because the liquid in the kettle it's that hot doesn't mean the kettle can't burn the fuck out of you.
It wasn't mentioned because the people who make those kind of mistakes are not available for comment later.
I have handles on all my glass carboys, but I still move them in milk crates. The neck can snap when carrying by the handle.
Since seeing this advice, we have taken to a two-handed method of carrying, with one hand underneath. However, milk crates seem like a better plan. I will try to get some milk crates for carboys. Thanks!
Well, I know this thread is a bit old, but I just had my first brewing injury, required some stitches on the palm of my hand. Cleaning my 6.5 gallon glass carboy in the sink. Water+soap+glass=SLICE!
I guess I will be more careful in the future, but you gotta empty those glass carboys somehow!
Siphon out to empty it.
Not sure if ridiculous amount of extra time added... is worth the safety precaution... will evaluate next time.
Get some 1/2 tubing, fill with water in a bucket or the sink, put your thumb over one end, put the other on the carbon. Bigger hose goes pretty fast. 3/4 if you are in a big hurry.
5 minutes to siphon out a carboy... 2+ hours going to the Dr. or ER for stitches. I'd lean toward precaution.
My equation is different, as my wife is a kennel owner and vet tech. If I have a minor owie she can fix me right up with her animal health supplies, though she prefers staples to stitches and doesn't believe in anesthetics