Homegrown hops 2020

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by riptorn, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (543) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Rip, what does that do? Is it for bugs? I do have a problem with small green beetles later on in the season. Hop aphids, I presume.

riptorn likes this.
  2. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (126) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Neem is an all rounder when it comes to plant health. It works on bugs and diseases, and lastly acts as a fertilizer of sorts. It works. I use it later in conjunction with some Bonide products as it is natural. A couple things to remember, natural/organic does not mean safe for everything. Neem oil won't hurt you, it just kind of has a smell. But neem oil will kill most any insect that is on or near your plants. Just saying save the bees...

Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  3. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I used it for the first time last year on the recommendation of @Granitebeard and @GormBrewhouse and am applying it this year to my tomatoes as well (for aphids). It also has fungicidal properties
    I think earlier in this thread Granitebeard suggested to stop using it on hops when flowers appear, and that agrees with other sources that say it works better on early growth.

This, from a short article about the oil, has me wondering about application strength and rate:
    "The oil has a half life of three to 22 days in soil, but only 45 minutes to four days in water."
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm
    Directions for the organic concentrate from Lowe's say to mix 2-4 tablespoons oil to a gallon of water and apply weekly. Considering the half-life (in water) of <1 day to 4 days, I'm wondering if it should be applied more frequently, or maybe mixed a little stronger.

ETA: Not sure it would (or would not) be effective on your late-season beetles.

GormBrewhouse and Peach63 like this.
  4. Peach63

Society Trader

Thanks guys.:+1: I'll check Lowe's for it and give it a try.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. riptorn

Society Trader

Found it.....it was actually @GormBrewhouse who mentioned when to stop neem oil, in post # 14 of the thread linked < here >.

Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  6. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (407) May 2, 2006 Utah

Just a picture of my hops at present. Close to 10 feet tall at this point. I'll need to keep a lookout for aphids, as they have been a problem in the past. I also need to do better at keeping nonproducing bines trimmed back this year. Cheers!

[​IMG]

7. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Looks good, my tallest ones are 3 feet

riptorn, Peach63 and utahbeerdude like this.
  8. Peach63

Society Trader

Got my Neem oil from Lowe's & picked a cheap 1 qt. pressurized sprayer from Dollar General. Got the bines all sprayed down. Sprayer works much easier than a spray bottle. Tallest plants are already 8 feet.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  9. Soneast

Soneast Champion (834) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Well, my Cascade seems to have recovered, and looks pretty healthy now. Who knows, maybe it was just transplant shock and I jumped to conclusions, due to the past issues I had in that box with the Bramlin Cross.

[​IMG]

10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,945) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Anyone else from PA / NJ / NY have any suggestion for an organic solution for killing Spotted Lanternfly nymphs on their hops?

Last year I tried Spinosad which definitely didn't kill them instantly, it was tough to tell whether I was killing them, or whether every day there were new ones to spray.

I spotted (no pun intended) some stage 1 nymphs for the first time yesterday. :angry:

11. riptorn

Society Trader

12. GormBrewhouse

never had a problem with that bug, yet, see if they can be smothered with neem or whas known as crop oil. Crop oil does not have the fungicidal properties that neem does, but can and does kill many insects.

as with most organic methods it is short lived and will wash off in the rain. no systemic organic sprays i am aware off.

good luck

Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  13. jmdrpi

Society

riptorn likes this.
  14. jmdrpi

Society

You are lucky, I don't think they have been reported in Vermont yet. I'm in Montgomery County PA, which is close to "ground zero" as they were first discovered in Berks County in 2014.
    [​IMG]

I found a table of recommended insecticides from Penn State:
    https://extension.psu.edu/spotted-lanternfly-management-for-homeowners

They do rate neem oil as "good" but like you said, "poor" residual activity. I'll have to figure something out and may have to abandon my desire to stay organic. Because they ruined by hop harvest last year, too many cones ended up with their "honeydew" (their shit is sugary and sticky).

Peach63, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  15. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (810) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Mine are about 10ft for the centennial and my hallertau is easily 14 feet now. Although that's up about 7ft then along 7ft

Biggest trouble for me in the past has been wind damage

16. jmdrpi

Society

As usual, the Cascades are winning the race over the Nugget
    [​IMG]

17. GormBrewhouse

Cascades always win here, but willamette is a close second

18. Hanglow

Ten days on and my hallertau is now over 20ft and run out of line. Centennial is probably 16ft now. Both throwing out loads of sideshoots.

[​IMG]

Peach63, jmdrpi, Granitebeard and 5 others like this.
  19. GormBrewhouse

Beauty, mine are behind, very dry and lots of crop to water.

20. Soneast

My three year Spalt Select were the last to show shoots this spring, but the first to grow to the end of my 15' trellis (about a week ago) with about another 3' hanging over currently. My other three year plants (Northern Brewer and Glacier) have just begun to reach the top. My first year plants (Cascade and Prussian) are only about half way there, as to be expected.

21. Granitebeard

I'm behind... Just getting strings up now and am lucky if anything is 3' tall.

Peach63, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  22. jmdrpi

Society

My Cascades now have burrs
    [​IMG]

23. GormBrewhouse

Your way out in front of me.

Got to water the hop yard last night

It's gonna b a low producing year up here unless one has irrigation set up. Very dry and 90s. If I had drip irrigation set up it would be a banner year. Glad I have a lot of plants,,,,,, but,,,

At the art foundry, it's low da posh ground. This year it is perfict growing conditions, so we measured yesterday and the bines are 20 feet and up, side shoots extremely long, no bugs or fungus yet.

Peach63, Granitebeard and riptorn like this.
  24. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,948) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Mine ran out of line and are headed back toward the ground. Pretty sure this is the fastest growth I've seen here.
    [​IMG]

Davl22, Peach63, jmdrpi and 7 others like this.
  25. riptorn

Society Trader

Mine are at least a couple weeks behind @jmdrpi and @VikeMan (who looks to have a nifty quick-release for the lines).

26. VikeMan

Society

Well, I do have two engineers for sons.

27. riptorn

Society Trader

"No Dad! You gotta close the window BEFORE letting go of the line!"

28. utahbeerdude

Variety?

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  29. VikeMan

Society

Center and right: Nugget. Left: either Cascade or Centennial, depending on which plant the trained bine came up from. I'll hopefully be able to tell from the aroma, but we'll see.

30. Granitebeard

Yesterday and today saw my lines go up. Really needed to do it sooner... more time spent trying to pick bines then actually deal with strings... Surprised to see some EKG about 4 ft and a couple comets about the same. Most between a 1-3 ft. Hopefully the grow well with my new drip irrigation.

Peach63, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  31. utahbeerdude

Well, the aphids have made an appearance this year; I just noticed them today. I'm going to give them a dose of neem oil in the morning. Will see how that works. Cheers!

32. Soneast

Just found Japanese beetles all over my plants yesterday. So I soaked my plants in neem oil. I have to deal with those damn things every year, despite using grub control etc. Tried partner plants that the beetles dislike such as catnip and onions and garlic etc, but obviously those do no good when the beetles are attacking hop leaves 15 feet above them, lol. Oh well, they never seem to do any permanent damage as long as I keep up with the neem oil.

Seeing some burrs on my Northern Brewer. Always my earliest plant to start producing flowers.

33. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,244) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I might plant a couple of rhizomes next year. Is catnip a real deterrent? If it works, that's cool and all, but I got a crazy cat lady next door that leaves cat food out for strays, but really all it does is attract foxes, raccoons, and opossums. I would prefer to not encourage her. You mentioned onions and garlic. Could planting chives work as welll?

riptorn, Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  34. jmdrpi

Society

They are on this list:
    https://www.countrybasketniagara.co...panese-beetles-dont-like-deter-niagara-garden

for me, what Japanese beetles attack are mostly my fruit trees, so I don't think these low growing plants really help.

riptorn, MrOH, Peach63 and 1 other person like this.
  35. Peach63

Society Trader

Coming along good. About 12'.

[​IMG]

36. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (153) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

My hops got a super late start due to moving, they were plagued with aphids (used neem and it took care of them), and they're in a suboptimal position due to the way our new house is oriented, so I don't have a lot of hope for this season. Next year, though...

Peach63, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  37. Hanglow

Top of my hallertau m. went to about 25ft then snapped back, centennial is now 20ft. Also seeing shoots rising up along my neighbourse fence.....sorry not sorry:grin:

38. riptorn

Society Trader

That's funny!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  39. GormBrewhouse

Finally got to irrigate the hop yard, then got 1.5 inches of rain.

Most are up to the 15 foot cable now except Columbus which is around 10 ft. Willamette and cascade over the top side arms just forming. And, of course, the weeds are a growin.

Peach63 likes this.
  40. riptorn

Society Trader

Coming off the bine about every 6-8” are two opposing leaves. There are small stems growing from the joint of the leaves and the bine. I’m guessing those are what some are referring to as side shoots or side stems (some of mine are 6-8” long and growing).

On a healthy plant, will flowers be produced on those side stems….or should they be pruned?
    I can post a pic later today if that will help.

GormBrewhouse and Peach63 like this.