Homegrown hops 2020

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by riptorn, Mar 19, 2020.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (407) May 2, 2006 Utah

Yes, cones will be produced on the side shoots. Cheers.

GormBrewhouse, VikeMan and riptorn like this.
  2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (382) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Thanks..........:beers:

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

You don't want to prune those, except (maybe) near the ground where they won't be very productive.

ETA: I see @utahbeerdude beat me to it.

4. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (548) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

They will flower. I've been growing hops for 10-12 years now and I've never pruned. I just checked my side stems and there are burrs on them. Your call, Rip.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Ditto to join pruning,,,,, except when you lower leafs exhibit fungus issues. I often cut leafs up to 3 ft high off the bine to help keep fugues/ mold problems at bay. You may not have the same issues.

6. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (126) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I have always been a pruner of the lower side arms and any late growth to try and prevent downy mildew... I need to get moving this year on that as I think it is affecting my growth some. No crazy mildews yet, but so much un-managed growth around the crowns.

7. GormBrewhouse

Same here, too much other work keeping me from keeping a tidy hop yard. And I'm back to irrigating. Dry year here.

8. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

We had 50% more rain than average during june and the first week of July has been twice as wet as normal. Not had to water anything outside for well over a month at least and won't need to probably for the rest of the month

I do have an aphid infestation on my plants now unfortunately, have sprayed the plants with dilute detergent as I didn't have anything else better. I've found it works on my pepper plants if repeated a few times

9. riptorn

Society Trader

Cascades are about 20’ and making a few burrs near the top. Goldings are burr-free and less than 8’ with much of the bine being about as thick as 50 lb test mono-filament fishing line. Pretty sure none of the plants are getting enough sun. If it works out that I’ll be on this property through next fall they might be relocated....depending on the yield this year.

[​IMG]

Here’s one of the several long, spindly side stems on the Cascades. Only the second season for these plants, but there’s nothing on those side stems that suggests (to me) they’ll produce cones. When the bines were 6’ – 8’ they were pruned of leaves to about 4’ from the ground and I haven't done any pruning since except to remove leaves that looked off (eaten, darkening on the edges, etc.)
    My previous question about cutting away those long side stems was because I wondered if they might be robbing nutrients that would be useful in cone production.

If the consensus here from experienced growers is still to leave them be, that’s what I’ll do.

[​IMG]

Peach63, PapaGoose03 and Granitebeard like this.
  10. GormBrewhouse

Go ripper, looking real good. As long as u have plenty of water,, and I'd guess you have good soil health, let them grow.

Looks to b a very good crop

Granitebeard and riptorn like this.
  11. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (126) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Yup, my hops woke up lately. Finally getting side arms and burrs on the bigger plants and others have started to take off. Sadly, looks like my thoughts on nugget are going to happen and I am going to pull them this fall...

Peach63, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  12. GormBrewhouse

Might as well call this the worst hop year here. So dam dry an so little time to water everything, something had to give. I figure I might get 25% if lucky.

Interesting point being even in very dry situation, willamette and cascade look like they will be at the 40% mark while Golding, fuggles are possible no shows. Very strange year.

Foundry hops will be Legindary so the Glenny mix, or cascade centenial Columbus chinook mix will be a mainstay this winter.

Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  13. riptorn

Society Trader

Weather has been similar in my parts of the southeast. Early spring rains were about right for the hops in NC and the veg garden in GA. Then the rains were persistent and some of the plants started getting water-worn with yellowing, spots, and looking generally unhealthy (especially tomatoes). Now it's been pretty dry for a couple weeks. Fortunately I can hit the hops with water as needed when I'm in NC, and put the soaker hose on a timer when away for a week at a time.....but that's a crap-shoot.

GormBrewhouse and Peach63 like this.
  14. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Window view. Contrast sucks, but you can see some cones.
    [​IMG]

15. Peach63

Society Trader

Lookin good VikeMan. About the size I have at the top of one of my plants. Lower down, they're a bit smaller. My other two plants, cones are still quite small. I didn't water during a dry spell so, probably my fault.

16. Hanglow

The greenfly infestation on my centennial is unreal.Can't shift them. Must be billions of the little fuckers. They don't seem particularly interested in the hallertau mittelfruh though...craft aphids?

17. Peach63

Society Trader

I have some "greenish" beetles chewing holes in my leaves, they all look like Swiss cheese. Fortunately, they seem to leave the hop cones alone. Also, a bit of spider mites near the top of one plant. I hate problems I can't solve with my shotgun! :angry:

18. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,253) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Peach63, jmdrpi and riptorn like this.
  19. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (407) May 2, 2006 Utah

Imidachloprid will take care of them, but it cannot be used less than 60 days before harvest, so it may too late. I’ve used it in the past with great success. Neem oil has been reasonably effective for me this year. I’ve sprayed 3 times this year with a 2% solution. Cheers!

20. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,958) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Probably Japanese beetles. They went after my Nugget bines, but did much less damage to my Cascades.

21. jmdrpi

Society

Great song. Love SCOTS, but only got the chance to see them live once though.

Also appropriate to the conversation

22. riptorn

Society Trader

Although only my second season, Neem oil has been effective for me this year as well if the absence of nearly all pests is a reasonable indicator.
    I've read on this forum, and elsewhere, that Neem oil should not be applied after burrs have formed.

Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  23. jmdrpi

Society

Insecticidal soap is safe for edible plants up to day of harvest

riptorn, Peach63 and Hanglow like this.
  24. GormBrewhouse

I'd b carefull of anything sprayed on the. Ones near harvest time organic or otherwise. Lots of sprays work, all have labels and back in school ,we were taught the lable is the law.

That's fine, but they generally are looking at LD50 results, not how a bit of residue will effect the taste of your beer.

Food for thought

25. Peach63

Society Trader

That's why I haven't sprayed since the burrs formed.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  26. GormBrewhouse

CONES dammit, me an da fat fingers☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

27. memory

memory Aspirant (207) Oct 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Howdy. My plants in SE Pa in spotted lanternfly territory are having a nice yield. Actually one of the better in years.
    Last year there were lantern flies in the yard and was wondering if they were going to make it. But plants look great except nugget and magnum seem to be effected by a late frost. Leaf damage, but they still produced. With the heat I had to pick some magnums. As I was doing it, some lantern flies I could see in the binds. Hard to see the pricks. I'm not or plan not to treat plants at all. Latest news I've heard on them is that they move on to different areas. So hoping plants survive. Also read that praying mantis and some other bugs are eating them. I do have praying mantis in the yard. So hope they help. Wondering if others are seeing lantern fly in their hops and effect they are having.
    Cheers

Peach63, jmdrpi and riptorn like this.
  28. jmdrpi

Society

I am in Montgomery County, and last year I had quite a bit of lanternfly activity on my hops and therefore they were contaminated with their "honeydew" (their sticky poop) and therefore I didn't harvest any.

This year there were only a few nymphs on my hops, but right now we are just starting to get the adult stage laternflys on our maple trees. Since my Cascades are actually ready for harvest, going to get that done before any damage.

My two Nugget plants got too much leaf damage from the damn Japanese beetles and didn't really put out any cones.

We had the late frost too and I had a die-off of a few of the leaders, but they put new ones that still made it to the top of my trellises.

Last year I saw a few Wheel Bugs on my maple trees but never saw them actively eating any lanternflys, but they are supposed to be top level predator bugs similar to Praying Mantises.

I wouldn't say they move on very much - they've been focused on the same 3 Maple trees we have for the last few years. Worse every year so far, we'll see how this year goes.

GormBrewhouse, Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  29. Peach63

Society Trader

So, that's what those damn beetles that are eating my leaves are? I'll have to check them out on Wikipedia.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  30. GormBrewhouse

I might get a couple lbs dry off my yard, but the foundry hops are stellar and I'll get around 8 out of them.

Hope for regular rain next year

Granitebeard and Peach63 like this.
  31. boddhitree

boddhitree Zealot (558) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

I'm an American who's been living in Germany and I've been brewing since 1999 in the USA, and now in Germany since 2008. I've always wanted to grow hops, but lived in an apartment in the Frankfurt. Unfortunately, an old apartment from the1900s had 12 foot ceilings and 3 foot thick sandstone walls, but no balcony and no place to grow hops. Last year, we moved into a new apartment, brand new building with a 130 square foot balcony that faces the west.

It got me thinking about growing hops and looking to buy here online. The climate is mild, lots of sun this summer, and then the logistics of it on a balcony. I could train the bines to grow up the side walls and then maybe along the ceiling of the balcony.

Here's a pic of my dog standing roughly in the corner I'm putting the pot of hops.
    [​IMG]
    And another of the opposite side where I the other pot will go.
    [​IMG]
    So, I looked online, and it turns out in Germany there's a place that sells only individual, baby hop plants. Lots of different hop selections, too. I chose Cascade and Smaragd, which originally comes from Czech Rep. I've used Smaragd before and it's a nice hop:
    I figured, this summer the roots grow out and the plant establishes itself in the pot, then next year hopefully I'll get hops to harvest.
    When they arrived by mail, they looked really small. The Cascade looked in fact a might sickly, probably just stressed from having to endure DHL's service. This was July 24th.
    [​IMG]
    Today, they've doubled in size, and tripled in width. They are extremely healthy and growing robustly.
    Here's the Cascade.
    [​IMG]

Below is the Smaragd, which I potted 3 days after the Cascade and is taking a little long to get established, it seems.
    [​IMG]
    So... I'd like to know what y'all think. Any advice is appreciated. I plan on running twine up the wall and across the ceiling.

32. riptorn

Society Trader

@boddhitree how many hours of direct sun will hit the plants…..now and as they get taller?

I think that’s the main issue for my hops not being more productive.
    Because of tree canopy they only gets 4-5 hours direct sunlight. The bines are about 22’ long, and only the last 5' (the area of ample direct sun) produced cones. The 2-dozen or so cones that were produced look good, but zero were produced in the first three-fourths of the bines.

Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  33. boddhitree

Thanks for the question. On sunny days, at least from 2 to 7 pm. When they grow on the wall, up the ceiling, probably from noon. Germany isn't known as a sunny summer place, but in the last 3 or 4 years, each summer has been super sunny, in the 90s a lot (almost nowhere has air conditioning. :cry:) and drought conditions, all due to global warming. It's like southern Italy's summer moved here. For the hop plants, they seem to love being watered every day.

34. jmdrpi

Society

Been picking fresh Cascade cones to use in my mini Randall the last few days. Tonight it was a few pints of my homebrewed Black IPA that got the treatment
    [​IMG]

Granitebeard, Davl22, Hanglow and 5 others like this.
  35. Hanglow

My plants are looking appalling, I'll be lucky to get two brews out of them this year I think. I got 1.5kg dried or so last year :angry:

36. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (293) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Looking like a pretty solid yield of Cascade this year. Planning to brew an all Cascade saison to blend with a solera batch of golden sour.

37. GormBrewhouse

Excellent growth and yeild.

38. boddhitree

I'm envious of your hop yeild... and that beer sounds absolutely delicious.
    Though bought online, this summer I made a French Saison with Lemondrop, Centennial hops + Grains of Paradise + Belgian dried sweet orange peel. I'm so happy with that combo.

Jasonja1474, Peach63, MrOH and 4 others like this.
  39. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (293) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

That sounds like a great recipe too!

40. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (372) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Although not homegrown I did just ride my bike a few minutes from my house to harvest some wild hops that grow along a stream right next to the bike path. They’re everywhere for miles.

First patch I stopped at was small but the hops smelled amazing, very dank. Reminded me of Zappa a bit. Second patch the hops looked similar but weren’t nearly as potent. I have no idea if these are truly wild but supposedly there are some in town that get harvested every year for a fresh hop brew by one of the local breweries that have been tested and are a wild variety.

pretty sure one of the commercially grown varieties that has NeoMexicanus heritage was bred with a wild hop from Utah but not sure which one.