Homemade Marshmallows with Pumpkin Ale

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (4,017) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Pooh-Bah

From hot chocolate to sweet potato casserole, fluffy marshmallows made with pumpkin ale add a festive touch to a multitude of holiday dishes.

Read the full article: Homemade Marshmallows with Pumpkin Ale

2. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows, have watched the process multiple times and find it facinating, but frankly I don't like them so I have never done it. Now seeing this recipe, I think I will do this for thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe

3. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Glad to hear it! Please share a photo if you end up trying the recipe.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad to see that the recipe doesn't depend solely on the pumpkin beer for the pumpkin flavor as many of them would not bring enough to the recipe. If you used an Avery Rumpkin, you wouldn't need to add as much sugar, and I'd think the rum would be a great addition. But - don't heat the Rumpkin too much, could ignite :wink:

5. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Those look amazing. I'd love to try them, but I doubt I'll ever make them. I've never made candy, and that looks a bit much for a novice! Getting the temp right and then the consistency of the eggs then not making scrambled eggs seems like a lot of room for error for me. :wink:

6. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No fear from scrambling them. The state they are in with the mixer going it slowly cooks them and changes their texture.

7. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Marshmallows and mayonaisse were two things I was very surprised to learn were relatively easy to make at home. Something about them seems like they would require some vast industrial facility filled with questionable processes and ingredients.

I've made mayonaisse, but I've never pulled the trigger on marshmallows. As with most things, adding beer has made it more attractive. I might give these a try this Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Keene likes this.
  8. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

meefmoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.