Hop Butcher (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ShawnoftheD3ad, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (38) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

Why? I didn’t think their product was discernably better than what we could obtain in Chicago.

2. galos11

galos11 Disciple (353) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I completely agree. The beer is outstanding.

3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (547) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Tastes similar to every other HB beer so I wouldn't go bonkers trying to find this, but yes, that flavor of their 7.5% beers in a 5.75%'er gives me hope they can make some more sessionable, full flavored NEIPAs.

csmakio likes this.
  4. HouseofWortship

Trader

Valid point. By the same token, would you pass on BA Bottle Logic Stouts if you were down there because the product isn't discernibly better that what we could find in Chicago?

jaysker95 likes this.
  5. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (972) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

Yeah, there are very few times when I buy beer outside Chicago because it's better, but given that we chase new beer here because the experimentation is the fun part, same goes for trying beers you wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

edit: Hell, I got to NC and try beer that's mediocre have the time, but I'd still rather do it than grab a known-quantity or something national off the shelves.

PhilBallins and HouseofWortship like this.
  6. ravens_wood

Probably. I'd drink it there and then have a reason to visit again :grin:

Though, maybe just my palette, but I feel there's a lot more variation and nuance with BA stouts than with NEIPAs.

7. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (194) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Surprise fourth can!

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  8. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (295) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It's pretty staggering how much more of Miskatonic's capacity Hop Butcher uses compared to Begyle's capacity that Saint Errant uses.

csmakio and kreg02 like this.
  9. ravens_wood

Oh, I'm all about sampling. I was in Portland, OR in January and visited something like 7 taprooms. I was just referring to beer that's main unique feature is geographic availability. Don't see the appeal in stocking and paying bag fees to ship home.

I actually sampled Modern Times for the first time in the PDX trip as they have a taproom. The beer was good. But my main takeaway was Chicago beer drinkers are really lucky if Modern Times is considered top tier. We have breweries that are right there with them.

10. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (52) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

Binnys Willowbrook just got their drop (minus DDD).

11. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (335) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Hopefully it lasts until 6pm

12. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (64) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

Beer temple just tapped Traveling Scientist

#132 Acschoen, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  13. Acschoen

I second this review. Incredible beer.

14. NNN

NNN Initiate (100) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Galaxy TS kind of fell flat ot me compared to the first round. I'm a huge Galaxy fan, too. By far my favorite hops. Not a bad beer by any means but felt a bit oily and light? My buddy and me liked Mirror Ball better.

15. HouseofWortship

Trader

Had a Mirror Ball last night and felt it is on the same packed flavor level as Galaxy Traveling Scientist though not nearly as hazy. Both good beers. Preference is going to come down to hop preference. Look forward to cracking the Cherry Milkshake tonight.

IlCraftWjgman and PhilBallins like this.
  16. Acschoen

Anyone still have Traveling Scientist? North burbs or city?

17. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Initiate (178) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois

Check Beer Bazaar in Hainesville. They had some yesterday, maybe still some today.

18. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (335) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Wheeling Binnys had one on the shelf at about 1pm... dunno if its still there though

ShawnoftheD3ad likes this.
  19. Nbrock24

Trader

Some of their recent galaxy beers (Galaxy Bowl last batch as one example) have been very dank and less tropical than galaxy often is. I enjoy them still that way but it's a different profile

20. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm not getting what people are seeing in these fruited NEIPAs.... Just drank a Circumpolar Cherry, and it taste like malt beverage mixed with rancid juice. It doesn't taste like what you would call beer (lacking hop profile). It has a wonderful NEIPA like pillowy body and some tart notes and vanilla notes, but it tastes more like someone's dad was drinking his macro lager and his kid dumped their juice drink in it.....I want to try Blazed Orange because of the hype behind it, but man, I have to pass on these fruited things because Old School Vibe and Circumpolar Cherry have been nasty....

These taste like St. Ides flavored malt liquor that people buy for college theme parties. Totally artificial tasting and why not just by flavored St. Ides 40s for a few bucks total vs $15+ 4 packs?

21. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (150) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

@HouseofWortship
    I think @croush hacked your account.
    While I’ll agree that Circumpolar is not “on par” with BO I still real strongly suggest that you try and get BO on the next go around.

22. HouseofWortship

Trader

Didn’t Croush like Old School Vibes?

23. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (219) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

@croush is currently in a bathtub filled with a cuvee of every known speedway stout variant and the moment and can’t come to the phone. Can I take a message?

Ferocious, csmakio, croush and 5 others like this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yes, please ask him how he gets the speedway stout to maintain that level of carbonation in the tub without it going flat...

25. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (150) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

He did. As it did for me it reminded him of a Dole whip at Disney. Wow, I actually agreed with him on something :thinking_face:

26. DragonflyJones

I was a bit underhwelmed down by it. The citra batch was far superior. This batch seemed thinner and didn't pack the punch I was hoping for.

croush and NNN like this.
  27. NNN

NNN Initiate (100) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Another friend pointed out that it’s an APA - was the Citra one the same?

Nbrock24 likes this.
  28. Nbrock24

Trader

Yes as was the Pipeworks one. All have been pale ales so far. That’s why I’d slightly push back on the “thin” comments

DWarholia likes this.
  29. DragonflyJones

Yeah it's a pale but I remember drinking the last batch and I thought I was drinking an imperial.

DeadWax, HouseofWortship and Nbrock24 like this.
  30. croush

croush Defender (685) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Nice to see the love here while I was bathing in BA Speedway Stout. I had the Cherry Milkshake and Galaxy TS while out in San Diego. I thought Cherry was really tasty - definitely not on Blazed Orange level, but that could be my preference for orange creamsicles. It was probably about the same level as OSHV for my taste.

Galaxy TS was just ok to me. Didn’t stand out much. I think my buddy out there preferred the Galaxy TS, though.

galos11 and Nbrock24 like this.
  31. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (972) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

I'm skipping the latest milkshake because I'm not a cherry guy, but the more milkshake IPAs I have around the city, the more I appreciate HB's; some are just terrible. I personally have preferred Old School to any of the other HB milkshakes, although DBO and BO were obviously still great.

ShawnoftheD3ad and galos11 like this.
  32. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (451) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Looks like they're canning Unwind Your Mind and Grid tomorrow. Unwind your Mind is one of my favorites

ebe2023 and csmakio like this.
  33. galos11

Premium Trader

Looks like both starting hitting shops in the burbs yesterday.

34. HouseofWortship

Trader

How does Grid stack up to the Chicago top tier NEIPA Double Grid?

35. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,253) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Half as good? <rimshot>

36. galos11

Premium Trader

1/2... math checks out

Jaycase, BuffaloBill12 and Nachos4two like this.
  37. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (172) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Spotted at Binnys LP a short while ago

galos11 and IlCraftWjgman like this.
  38. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (194) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

39. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (451) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Found mine at Binny's in Oakbrook, Limit 1 Per 4pk on Grid and no limit on Unwind. WTF? Unwind is by far a superior beer, thank you Binny's, more for me :slight_smile:

40. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (140) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've seen several places have higher limits for Unwind - maybe they made more of it?

Grid is pretty damn good though. I can't think of another sub-6% hoppy beer that I like better off the top of my head.

aussiebeer and ECOBOOSTINST like this.