Hop Butcher (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gambyt20, Jan 1, 2020.

1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (752) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]

galos11 and GuyFawkes like this.
  2. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (63) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

May be one of the better reviews of a beer that I have seen. ...and thank goodness I did not buy it!

HouseofWortship and GuyFawkes like this.
  3. Onerandombeer

Onerandombeer Initiate (33) Nov 24, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I had one last night as well, and it's definitely a top tier PBC stout. The only other one I can say that has been truly excellent is the one from Energy City. In comparing them both, I find the Energy City one to be VERY sweet, while Fat Bear is only somewhat sweet. Both are very good and worth grabbing if you love Peanut Butter Cups.

csmakio, PhilBallins and galos11 like this.
  4. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (111) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Empty glass

I have the newer one, this is just one of the older ones I missed. NBD

PhilBallins and galos11 like this.
  5. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (60) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

Fat Bear tastes like bananas

6. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (622) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm gonna bet there's essentially one on the premises.

HouseofWortship and GuyFawkes like this.
  7. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Fat Bear is good but extremely sweet. It needs some more roast flavor. 4 oz was more than enough

FBarber, csmakio and GuyFawkes like this.
  8. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,402) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Nothing's for sale or trade, but there's usually interesting stuff to share with people who can stomach my company...

flat_lander likes this.
  9. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (53) Jun 22, 2019 Indiana
    Trader

10. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (622) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Awesome. I Iove DG and Colombian. And I happen to be headed up this coming weekend. Hopefully there's still some around come Friday evening/Sat morning after you degenerates have your way first.

SWChi, GuyFawkes and PhilBallins like this.
  11. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (386) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Oh man I’m gonna be real sad when I can’t find Double Grid. I loved both Grids.

FBarber and PhilBallins like this.
  12. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (203) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I see what you’re saying with this. I didn’t get bananas at first, but if I tried to forget I was supposed to be tasting PB and chocolate, there is a little banana flavor I was picking up.

PhilBallins likes this.
  13. Jplachy

Trader

Drinking my 4th and final can of Green Moss and boy. I’m getting some leathery almost fruit roll up peach flavors. 5/5

14. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (299) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Drank a couple cans of Fat Bear over the weekend. I was really excited for this one as I love a good PB stout (most are not as its very hard to pull off). It's not as amazing as I was hoping, but I highly enjoy it. Its definitely sweet, but no sweeter than other local pastry stouts these days (and I'm someone that complains about sweetness). Don't get me wrong, I would prefer it to be a bit dryer, but the body and mouthfeel are top notch.

The banana thing is funny, as I was drinking one can with dinner Saturday, my daughter could smell it (its a super fragrant brew). And she said it smelled like chocolate covered bananas. After that, I couldn't not taste bananas. But it still worked really well.

Excited for Coffee Expo.

15. croush

croush Crusader (761) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I opened my first Fat Bear last night and thought it was really tasty. Really good peanut aroma and flavor, and the body was good as well. I thought it was sweet, but not too much. It's a wonder they don't do stouts more often considering the popularity of the ones they do make.

16. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (197) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Does anyone know what hop butcher’s current business model looks like? Last I knew it two guys that also worked their day job and hired a full time brewer that contract brews out of 2 places?

I think they would/could produce more stouts if they ever land a space of their own. I’m sure capacity is pretty low with their current contract brewing model.

17. croush

croush Crusader (761) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm sure that does hold them back some, but doesn't Saint Errant have the same contract model? I feel like they've put out quite a few more stouts than HB. I'm sure there's differences depending on what availability they have at their contract brewing facility.

ECCS likes this.
  18. Onerandombeer

Trader

I think it's "make beer, print money"

flat_lander likes this.
  19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (752) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I would think pastry stouts should displace milkshake ipas at HB, but you guys keep buying the damn things.

[​IMG]

20. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (461) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Looks like Ribbit has been pushed back to next week

TheLoadedOne likes this.
  21. Shriner

If anyone sees Coffee Exposition out and about in the NW suburbs, please feel free to post!

22. TheLoadedOne

TheLoadedOne Initiate (26) May 22, 2018 Illinois

Only Double Grid spotted at Schaumburg Binny's. Roughly ten cases as of noon.

23. Shriner

Crap, that is the closest one for me too :slight_frown: Thanks!

24. DryHoppedUrMom

DryHoppedUrMom Initiate (54) Aug 15, 2015 Illinois

Saw this note from HopButcher on Untappd -- "We pushed Ribbit back to next week. It'll distro alongside Tavern Cut. Just Double Grid & TWCCE this week!".

So no Ribbit this week.

25. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

As usual with this thread, it won't be true until the 3rd person posts it!!

26. DryHoppedUrMom

DryHoppedUrMom Initiate (54) Aug 15, 2015 Illinois

Well shit! Did anyone mention that Tavern Cut will be next week? Maybe that was new info?

27. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

100% new info on Tavern Cut...and I'm just joking around, I've done the same thing myself on here!!

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  28. Shriner

Called three Binny's, all sold out of Coffee Exposition. Wow, looks like people have caught on to this one...

29. Jplachy

Trader

Come to Uppers and Downers and drink as much as you want! cha-ching cha-ching

Oh sorry, that's just my cash register making noise again.

Bbear and SeanBond like this.
  30. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (176) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

Mokena Binny's had both Hop Butcher, as well as all the phase 3 cabs if anyone is looking.

31. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (38) Jan 13, 2018
    Trader

Hope it's better than Fat Bear. Not that FB wasn't good, but it's nothing I desire to seek out again or to displace favorites. Personally, all the HB hype is beginning to wear thin over here, but you guys go ahead without me.

KidGalaga likes this.
  32. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (289) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

That’s surprising, I feel like it was in the shelves forever last time.

luckily for me, #NoBuyFebruary is in full swing for me and I’m holding strong. Now I just need the HA stout to sell out quickly tomorrow, and the market can just leave me to my cellar.

flat_lander likes this.
  33. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (60) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

Oh thank god, that banana flavor is disappearing in Fat Bear. This shit will be amazing in like 3 weeks.

34. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (400) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Can report this weeks hazy tastes like a hazy:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Onerandombeer, csmakio and Nbrock24 like this.
  35. Onerandombeer

Trader

I'm not sure where you folks are getting banana from, I do not taste banana. Granted, I'm four bourbons deep prior to switching to this fat bear, but still.

croush likes this.
  36. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (91) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

Very happy to grab DG and Expo today.

Hard pass on Ribbit next week. That shit was foul.

37. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (63) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

Anyone try this batch of Double Grid? Just worried it's gonna be too sweet like Green Moss was......

38. brantstheman

brantstheman Initiate (20) May 22, 2017 Illinois

Agreed that I don't need every beer they put out anymore. That being said, Double Grid has always been my favorite hazy of theirs and that is one I will always shell out money for. The rest just come off as a splash of lactose into some random hops.

Jagrmaister likes this.
  39. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (270) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Wow that seems crazy to me. I like Coffee Exposition a lot and got a can yesterday but to think it would sell out vs. the amazing stouts that sit on shelves? Hype mode activated.

croush likes this.
  40. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (599) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I had one last night and though it was great, didn't find it overly sweet, though I did not think that of Green Moss either so my opinion may be invalid

GuyFawkes likes this.