Hop Butcher (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gambyt20, Jan 1, 2020.

1. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Initiate (195) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

That certainly works! Thank you

If anyone has other suggestions I’m open to any all all tips!

2. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (177) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois

Not sure how close to the south burbs you are but Crafted in Mokena you can bust up 4 packs anyway you like.

3. TomFoolery_x

Trader

Mokena is a hike for me but I have a close friend that works at the Meijer out there. Maybe I can have her make a pit stop for me

dukeandduke likes this.
  4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (776) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I did not have Beef Dip the first go round, but got some of the 2020 batch and am impressed. Prettt solid beer

5. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (406) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

This batch of unwind your mind is stellar.

6. TomFoolery_x

Trader

See, I thought opposite. It’s good right now but a bit too saturated/green. I did enjoy it, but will undoubtedly enjoy it a bit more in the days/weeks to come.

7. TomFoolery_x

Trader

Btw, the website shows Neon Green Relish up next. One of my more liked offerings from them

Nachos4two likes this.
  8. I_Have_The_Runs

I_Have_The_Runs Initiate (40) Nov 19, 2018 Illinois

I had both on Friday and love the fact that both beers got some dankness going on.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  9. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (55) Jun 22, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Man, I just could not get into Swans of Lir. The mint just came across as a tic-tac type of cool mint. Glad I found a single...and even that can was a bit too much.

10. TomFoolery_x

Trader

See, I didn’t mind it. Thought it was pretty good, albeit a little under-carbed. Maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be?

dukeandduke likes this.
  11. beardown2489

It seems you are even more sensitive to “green” than me. And “green” is something I can’t stand. I didn’t have that issue here

dukeandduke likes this.
  12. beardown2489

It’s a green beer for the St Patrick’s day holiday. If you know it’s not for you, ignore it. I think it’s pretty good for what it is, but it’s not for anybody but those looking for a St. Patty’s green beer.
    FWIW, the hop utilization reminded me of Blazed Orange milkshake, minus the fruit and mint added. It’s a style I hate but did not suck

13. vicodin_tears1

Trader

How do I ignore it if I’ve never had it? I wanted to try it. I have liked all of their milkshakes, so it was worth a shot.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  14. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (205) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

I'll take a green bud light. Or just a bud light out of a green aluminum bottle.

dukeandduke likes this.
  15. I_Have_The_Runs

Anyone try Neon Green Relish?

Nbrock24 likes this.
  16. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (372) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

as good as any other batch. Go get it,

BuffaloBill12, JJH1018 and HazeBro83 like this.
  17. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Defender (602) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

This week canning mirrorball and megabite.

BuffaloBill12, Gambyt20 and GuyFawkes like this.
  18. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,497) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I seem to have missed Mirror Ball in the past, looking forward to trying it!

19. Nbrock24

Trader

I had to look up my Untappd check in from the past. Hazy but with Centennial so it has that old school vs new school tug of war going on.

BuffaloBill12 and GuyFawkes like this.
  20. vicodin_tears1

Trader

Last night I opened my second can of Unwind Your Mind...and WOW. It is drinking SO good right now.

21. Mwils8

Mwils8 Initiate (41) Dec 1, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Unwind Your Mind was outstanding this go around. Glad I have one more to crack tonight.

Neon Green Relish is pretty much a perfect beer in my view. This batch is as good as ever - maybe my favorite HB?

22. dub_shih

dub_shih Initiate (61) Apr 21, 2016 Illinois

My faves from them are Unwind Your Mind and Neon Green Relish.

For those that have tried the new batches, about equal or is one better than the other?

23. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (61) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

It's all the same man. I mean that in a good way.. you should expect what you remember because they honestly haven't changed.

24. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (129) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

If anything, I am detecting more lactose in this version of Neon Green Relish. Not overwhelming or "milkshake IPA" territory, but more than I remember. Anyone else?

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

I tried to grab a 4 pack on Monday and it was gone at my local place. Not happy with HB this year. The last couple of months of 2019 and you could be assured they had sufficient quantity of HB stuff to last another week. This year HB must have spread out the distro more because if I'm not scooping these up within two days they are gone.

26. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (61) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

So funny you said that. I originally had something along the lines of, "if anything they're using even more lactose" at the end of my post but deleted it before hitting reply.

27. Beer_Pizza_Beer

Beer_Pizza_Beer Initiate (1) Jan 8, 2020

With everyone working from home cans are being scooped up much quicker. I hit a couple places the day after it was released like I normally do and it was gone. Usually both places have it for a couple days. The last batch of Saint Errant was also gone pretty quick and that never happens.

Nbrock24 and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  28. beardown2489

I disagree with the notion that HB is using more lactose. I have had at least 3 beers since Christmas I expected to be very sweet and surprised me. Unwind your Mind being the most recent. I rarely drink multiple hazy beers in a night. But I ended up drinking 3 unwinds the night I bought it, and paid for in the next day. I’ve also thought this about all off the hazy beers less than 7.5% since they collaborated with Perennial a year ago

mbockstruck30, GuyFawkes and galos11 like this.
  29. I_Have_The_Runs

I had Unwind Your Mind a couple of weeks ago and I did not think it had a bunch of lactose. When my nephew tasted it, he said UYM was full of lactose so I thought it was one of those days when my palate was off.

30. Johnnyniii

Johnnyniii Initiate (37) Apr 23, 2015 Illinois

anyone else have issues with under carbonated cans? My Tavern Cut and Double Grid both seemed under carbed. barely any pressure release when i crack the cans. and you can squeeze the 16 oz can prior to opening way more than i would expect (a lot of flex in the unopened beer). head is minimal even with a strong pour. Tasty beer but i have been seeing this on occasion from their cans.

31. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (203) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Mirror ball > mega bite > pixel density > ddh citra creme

Just this idiot’s opinion

galos11 likes this.
  32. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Champion (858) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

New beer Presto Change-o on deck. Mosaic & Simcoe DIPA

Nachos4two likes this.
  33. Nbrock24

Trader

Just took the 4 pack topper off of my Megabite and a can opened/exploded. Not fun times in my kitchen lol

Nachos4two likes this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Trader

That mega-bites.

35. vikingpillager

vikingpillager Disciple (337) Jan 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  36. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (635) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've had this happen 3 or 4 times in my life. All with different breweries. Most of the time when I'm not planning to drink a beer. I'm always afraid it will happen to a can I have a single of that I'm holding on to for some reason. It's definitely annoying.

EDIT: And definitely pre-pandemic, appropriately prepared, first world problems.

#236 flat_lander, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Nbrock24 likes this.
  37. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah i wasn’t planning on having a beer today but why not in the quarantine haha. I ended up drinking it a few hours later and it probably worked out well that HB beers are undercarbed as it was a normal drinking experience.

flat_lander likes this.
  38. TomFoolery_x

Trader

Any early reviews on presto change-o??

JFresh21 likes this.
  39. vicodin_tears1

Trader

I can’t say much beyond that I thought it was fantastic!

40. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Champion (858) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed, pretty darn delicious!