Hop Butcher releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SeanBond, Dec 20, 2017.

1. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (932) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

I figured it was time to get this thread started. Now that HB seems to be back to cranking regular releases out (after the Aquanaut mishaps), there's probably enough to get the thread going.

First up:

I Want to Believe - This was excellent for the first time around, and I've heard this version is going to even hoppier and potentially hazier than the last, so I'm pretty pumped for this.

Mirrorball - Mosaic, Centennial and Citra is a great combo, and I've heard they're pretty excited about this one.

I'm excited to see these guys cranking this stuff out more and more, because Chicago is becoming an absolute smorgasbord of great hoppy (hazy) options.

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,437) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Does anyone know where they are brewing out of now? I know they were looking at a few different places but I wasn't sure where they ended up going with.

3. Rpanther9

Rpanther9 Initiate (47) Oct 22, 2014 Illinois

I heard they’re brewing out of Miskatonic. In Darien.

FBarber likes this.
  4. SeanBond

Yeah, I believe this is correct.

5. Quilentro

Quilentro Initiate (192) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Best place to monitor releases and which shops have received drops:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hopbutcher

Sounds like drop might start Wednesday night, with main distro on Thursday.

Edit - either cleaned up or broke link.

SeanBond likes this.
  6. galos11

galos11 Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

They are for sure at Miskatonic.

Can’t wait for I Want To Believe. One of my favorite HB brews.

Nachos4two, FBarber and SeanBond like this.
  7. SeanBond

Yup, me too. I'm pretty pumped based on what I've heard of the "retooling." Just hoping adding more haze doesn't kill what I loved about it.

galos11 likes this.
  8. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (472) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Cant wait for IWTB. Was a fantastic brew last year.

galos11 and HazeBro83 like this.
  9. galos11

Premium Trader

Both new beers just got dropped off at the open bottle a little bit ago.

10. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (268) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I met Jude at the ABV bottle share last weekend and he was a really awesome dude. I enjoyed Render the Phat and am excited to see their stuff shelves more regularly

SeanBond likes this.
  11. SeanBond

Open Bottle has IWTB and Mirrorball. Someone report back!

oN3xM, galos11 and Nbrock24 like this.
  12. galos11

Premium Trader

I guess the places that got it today actually drove to Miskatonic and picked it up. The guy at Iron&Glass was saying there was a line of them waiting to pick it up.

Probably see more places actually get deliveries tomorrow.

13. galos11

Premium Trader

IWTB looks completely different than the last time I had it. It was darker and not hazy at all.

I still like it a lot. Same taste as before. Get a little hop bit and definitely the fruity melon taste to it.
    [​IMG]

14. galos11

Premium Trader

Here’s a pic from last February:
    [​IMG]

jaysker95, FBarber and SeanBond like this.
  15. SeanBond

Awesome. Exactly what I hoped!

This has been a brutal month for my beer budget...

galos11 likes this.
  16. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (137) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

just my opinion, of course, but nothing turns me off to a beer more than "El Dorado" hops. it just makes things like stale grass imo

jaysker95 likes this.
  17. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Aspirant (235) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm a big fan of Mirrorball. Lots of citrus and fresh grass on the nose and front of the palate. It finishes with a bunch of citrus peel right in the face - I feel like all of that balances perfect as well.

flat_lander, jaysker95 and galos11 like this.
  18. odcardinal

odcardinal Initiate (167) Apr 12, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. I prefer "Mirrorball" over "want to believe". Both solid offerings. Could come down to preference of Citra hops.

Jangoon24, galos11 and jaysker95 like this.
  19. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (112) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Have to say I quite like Mirrorball.
    A lot crisper than I was expecting it to be. Hop notes are particularly bright and present.
    [​IMG]

20. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (166) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Unfortunately, I missed Mirrorball at Binny's LP today, but grabbed IWTB. IWTB isn't inline with what I prefer in an IPA, but I can see how others like it. There's a definite floral/spice/pepper flavor I get on the backend where I can understand the hoppy farmhouse comparisons, likely from the hop combo though as opposed to a Belgian yeast flavor. It's just not for me.

21. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (421) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Grabbed some Mirrorball from Open Bottle a little while ago. Just finished one. Very nice citra beer. Bright, crisp, and citrus are nice descriptors for this one. Solid Hop Butcher beer for sure.

oN3xM, FBarber, galos11 and 1 other person like this.
  22. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (421) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Forgot to add that OB had a few 4 packs of Mirrorball left on the shelf and a few in the cooler. They had a decent amount of I want to Believe too.

FBarber likes this.
  23. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (112) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

while really liking Mirrorball, I also am not really feeling I Want To Believe. Drinking one right now. Something is kind of 'tart', and I totally get that peppery vibe that @KCUnited mentioned in I Want To Believe.

24. SeanBond

I posted this elsewhere, but I enjoyed both Mirrorball and IWTB, although surprisingly I preferred IWTB. Mirrorball is obviously the better choice if you want a "safe" hop combo (you can't go wrong with citra), but IWTB is more unique, and I think the hops go well with how generally drinkable it is. Neither is particularly full-bodied, so they're better if you're looking for something on the lighter side (but still want full hop flavors).

FBarber and galos11 like this.
  25. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,783) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Got passed a can of I Want to Believe...I certainly agree with Sean that it's unique, but I struggled to finish it. Very soap-y, with some cantaloupe notes & a dry grass finish.

Certainly not a run-of-the-mill NE IPA, but it's subtle pleasures were beyond the limits of my palate.

KidGalaga, SeanBond and FBarber like this.
  26. SeanBond

Honestly, the first time it was released, I was surprised it seemed to be so well thought of. I thought it would be just me, so I don't blame you.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  27. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (384) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I'm late to the party here, but Mirrorball is my favorite Hop Butcher thus far. Think I've had 4-5 of their offerings. Love Mirrorball!

Nachos4two and galos11 like this.
  28. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (51) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

really bummed I missed out on Dun Dun Dun. seems to have been their best since the mythical Galaxy Bowl 1.

i've only really liked skrap metal out of the last 8 or so releases. while I liked mirrorball, it didn't stand out compared to recent releases from FR/Corridor/Marz/18th St

29. SeanBond

Mirrorball was more of an "easy drinker" to me; something that would be really good when I'm thirsty in the summer, but still had plenty of flavor. It's not my favorite HB release, but I thought it was really solid given that it didn't hit like a DIPA.

I agree that Dun3 was probably the best outside of GB (I actually think the recent GB was excellent as well, although GB1 was obviously a unicorn), but it wasn't so outside their typical quality that you should feel like you totally missed the boat. I'm sure something similar will pop up. Really the only issue (in my mind) is getting citra and galaxy together again (since we know how annoying it can be to get galaxy hops).

GuyFawkes and KidGalaga like this.
  30. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (472) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Didnt get my hands on Dun or MB but the newest batch of IWTB is amazing IMO. Much improved over B1.

galos11 likes this.
  31. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,437) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

As a side note - if anyone is looking for mirrorball - Binnys Grand had it on the shelf today.

Nachos4two likes this.
  32. Chrismb

Chrismb Aspirant (234) Aug 28, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Hi guys, we still have MirrorBall and IWTB at Lloyd's Chicago (1 South Wacker Drive) for those of you who work in the loop!

33. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (107) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

According to their IG story, HB is canning Blazed Orange again soon. Looks pretty damn good, hazy and light orange. A LOT different than the previous batch.

Nachos4two, jaysker95 and galos11 like this.
  34. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (544) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t see that on their ig feed

35. galos11

Premium Trader

It’s a part of their IG story. Updated it last night.

csmakio likes this.
  36. SeanBond

I didn't love Blazed the first time around, so I'm hopeful it'll be more to my taste this time.

37. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (339) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Remember that beer being dank as all get out, and super dry. I remember it said American pale ale on the can and everyone still wanted to judge it as a NE style beer

38. beardown2489

Actually I think I’m confusing Blazing orange and Grid

Wasn’t a fan of Blazing orange the first go around either. Had a strange aftertaste that reminded me of of a few homebrews from back in the day

#38 beardown2489, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  39. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (175) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

woah

40. beardown2489

Woah indeed