Hop Filter Hop Spider

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jimboothdesigns, Nov 2, 2018.

1. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (262) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Looking to get a hop filter/spider/basket, which ever you prefer to call it. My question is how many microns do you all recommend? Should I get several different sizes?

Thanks in advance.

2. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (106) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

FWIW, I got one months ago that’s similar to the 300 micron filter here. Have yet to use it and probably won’t unless I modify it by removing the solid bottom cap and stitching the screen together.
    Some on this forum suggest those type baskets allow hops compact too much, restricting utilization.

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  3. jimboothdesigns

Along with hops, I will be using a lot of different ingredients in the basket.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,475) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

So... the one @riptorn linked is for dry hopping. Is that what you're looking for? Or are you looking for something to hold boil hops?

5. jimboothdesigns

Looking for adding hops etc. to the boil.

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (733) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

5" PVC coupler, paint strainer bag, large hose clamp, and 3 long screws with wingnuts...done

7. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (106) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

There are thick-walled and less thick-walled couplers. I don't know if it's schedule 40 vs. schedule 80 or what. I started with the thinner one, which deformed from the steam of the boil and self-loosened to the point I removed it twice to re-tighten the nuts.
    Get the thick-walled one.

8. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

jimboothdesigns and pweis909 like this.
  9. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (121) Dec 25, 2015 New York

300 micron is too small. i have one and it clogs easy and traps the oils. Your better off just throwing them in and whirlpooling with a spoon or pump while the wort is still hot.

10. Yungcoolship

Yungcoolship Initiate (39) Aug 16, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

11. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (436) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I have the utah diesel 4x10 in 300 micron (recommended for pellets) . . . it does a great job of reducing hop debris in the wort but was disappointed in the resulting hop bitterness/flavor. So went back to paint-strainer bag. I do find it useful for siphoning wort from the primary when the DH is commando-style.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,762) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

13. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

Home Depot paint strainer bags clipped to the side of the kettle works for me. I stir it a lot to make sure it gets good contact.

14. jimboothdesigns

VikeMan and Granitebeard like this.
  15. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

When I get a bigger kettle, it will be great, but all the way up is perfect for a 10gal kettle.

16. pweis909

Premium

Yeah, that's the part I don't have. Sort of irks me as I just bought a second spider shortly before this thread started. From homebrewing.org, no less. And I didn't see this adjustable model. Oh well, I'll get good use out of mine, and if I find I need to adjust the height, I can figure out a way.

17. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Disciple (329) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I drilled a 1" hole in either side of the coupler, inserted a 3/4"x3' hardwood dowel, which just rests on top of the keggle. Prettier (IMO), easier, and a helluva lot cheaper than those SS screws. And it doesn't droop as it heats up over all that steam (see prettier, above).

18. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (388) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Are you guys sure the Home Depot paint strainer bags are food grade? They aren't according to the HD. Stay safe.

Anyway, I have a lot of expurrience with the metal mesh brewing filters and this is what I know. The 4 inchers are a waste of money. They are good for 2oz of hops max. The 6 inch filters are much better. They are good for 6-8oz of hops. Probably more. Two inches in diameter really makes a big difference.

I have two 6 inchers. I wish I had an 8 incher. One is 300 micron, the other is 400 micron. Neither of them clog. The 400 does sprew out more fine green particles into the kettle. However, it does not seem to make a significant difference in terms of hop impression in the glass compared to using 300 alone. The maximum hops I have used in the kettle with two six inchers is 16oz. My plate chiller doesn't clog and I don't even use a pump.

19. pweis909

Premium

I stopped using paint strainers for this reason. While I don't think anyone is going to kill themselves with them, it's not like I'm going broke buying food grade strainers.

The spider that I just got is 6 inches and the one I had previously was 4, which was too small and why I was using strainer bags.

Brew_Betty likes this.
  20. Brew_Betty

It's obvious you have a PhD and live in Wisconsin. However, I feel the need to question this paraphrased statement:

I don't think anyone is going to kill themselves with non food grade paint strainer bags.

How do you know that? Do you know how many grades of nylon there are? Do you know that there are more grades of non food safe nylon than food safe nylon? Do you expect a product marketed as a paint strainer to be food safe? I don't think you do.

I hope that you will join me in spreading awareness of the potential danger of using paint strainer bags for beer for the benefit of oblivious brewers. People that say, "I've been using paint strainer bags for 7 years and I haven't died yet" are influencing innocent people.

21. Brew_Betty

Really, all I want to know now is how @jimboothdesigns Daikon radish beer turned out and would be glad to see the recipe.

22. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (733) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

If someone is really concerned with using paint strainer bags, might I suggest: https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Reus...-1-spons&keywords=food+grade+nylon+mesh&psc=1

Brew_Betty likes this.
  23. pweis909

Premium

My PhD is in Natural Resources, with specializations in Biogeochemistry, Soil Science, and Ecology. I've had no formal experience with toxicology outside of killing some plants and some daphnia in high school and college laboratory sections I have taught. My academic background sometimes gives me insight into brewing chemistry and biology, but usually only in general ways that people who paid attention in high school would also understand. My little experience in toxicology has no bearing at all on my thoughts on this particular topic.

My thinking on the toxicology of nylon in brewing is actually guided by consulting a semi-anonymous professional on this very question. Have you ever listened to a the Basic Brewing Radio episodes with the dude who referred to himself as Toxicologist Paul? Through an email to James Spencer, as an intermediary, I put the question to Paul about using non-food grade nylon strainers and knee-high Nylon stockings. His response:

"We did review nylon back when we did the original podcasts, and there wasn't anything about nylon that was concerning. The hot water sanitization may have leached some compounds out of the nylons (which could explain the smell), but it probably did a REALLY thorough job of doing so, meaning there was probably very little left after this "preconditioning" step. If you then used them to dry hop and there was no off flavor or aroma, I wouldn't worry about them. My biggest concern would be off notes, you don't have anything to worry about in terms of toxicity (above ethanol of course).

The part about hot water sanitization refers to my practice of first sanitizing nylon in a boiling water bath and noting that it imparted an aroma to the water. That was part of my concern. My question was about dry hopping, but I think it points to both a potential problem and perhaps a solution regarding using nylon in the boil. It was the nylon stockings specifically that caused the weird aroma in the boiled water. So Paul was unconcerned. Why did I switch and stop using these nylon sources?

We'll always have problems coming to consensus on what it means to be safe, agreeing upon acceptable risks, and identifying causes behind everything that ails us. A couple persons close to me in my adult life were diagnosed with cancer, and during their respective recoveries (to date, both are cancer free, as far as I know), they looked for reasons. Hadn't they lived clean lives? What did they do to bring this on themselves? There were no obvious answers. Some combination of genetics and environmental exposure, to what? Both of my friends seemed to obsess over the possible answers. It's difficult for me to judge them, I didn't have cancer. But it is clear to me that many people have concerns along these lines, that stuff that they consumed that they weren't supposed to could cause them problems, unknown killers, lurking in the shadows. I do not want people to feel that way about my beer. I thought if some people knew I made beer with non-food grade products, they might have concerns. I could continue to fan those flames in order to save a few bucks, buying strainers from Menards or Sherwin Williams, instead of from the homebrew shop. What a penny pinching jerk I would be, now that I thought about it in these terms? While Toxicologist Paul made me feel OK about what I had been doing, I knew that not all of my friends would not be comfortable.

24. birdonthewire

birdonthewire Initiate (82) Jul 28, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I see no reason why anyone would buy paint strainer bags when LHBS (or even Amazon) sell food grade brew bags that work just as well for like $10. I understand being frugal and stretching your money, but $10 for something you'll use for every brew is well worth it considering how expensive other aspects of this hobby are.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  25. jimboothdesigns

Ha! It turned out great. Going to tweak the recipe slightly and I will get it posted soon.

GreenKrusty101 and VikeMan like this.
  26. Brew_Betty

As a Daikon enthusiast, I'll be anxiously waiting your post and recipe.

27. hansbrewmister

hansbrewmister Initiate (15) Dec 28, 2018 Michigan

Depending on what you are adding and what time you are adding those additions get (2) 300 mic baskets. Without getting into the chemistry of it and a confusing reply just get two baskets.
    I use one and two baskets during a 25gal boil

28. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,475) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Well I'm sold.

jimboothdesigns and frozyn like this.
  29. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (121) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Can you explain this.I know that two beers are better then one but two baskets.

#29 Brewday, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    frozyn likes this.