Hop Filter Hop Spider

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jimboothdesigns, Nov 2, 2018.

1. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (260) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Looking to get a hop filter/spider/basket, which ever you prefer to call it. My question is how many microns do you all recommend? Should I get several different sizes?

Thanks in advance.

2. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

FWIW, I got one months ago that’s similar to the 300 micron filter here. Have yet to use it and probably won’t unless I modify it by removing the solid bottom cap and stitching the screen together.
    Some on this forum suggest those type baskets allow hops compact too much, restricting utilization.

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  3. jimboothdesigns

Along with hops, I will be using a lot of different ingredients in the basket.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,463) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

So... the one @riptorn linked is for dry hopping. Is that what you're looking for? Or are you looking for something to hold boil hops?

5. jimboothdesigns

Looking for adding hops etc. to the boil.

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (713) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

5" PVC coupler, paint strainer bag, large hose clamp, and 3 long screws with wingnuts...done

7. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

There are thick-walled and less thick-walled couplers. I don't know if it's schedule 40 vs. schedule 80 or what. I started with the thinner one, which deformed from the steam of the boil and self-loosened to the point I removed it twice to re-tighten the nuts.
    Get the thick-walled one.

8. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (96) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

jimboothdesigns and pweis909 like this.
  9. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (110) Dec 25, 2015 New York

300 micron is too small. i have one and it clogs easy and traps the oils. Your better off just throwing them in and whirlpooling with a spoon or pump while the wort is still hot.

10. Yungcoolship

Yungcoolship Initiate (35) Aug 16, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

11. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (435) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I have the utah diesel 4x10 in 300 micron (recommended for pellets) . . . it does a great job of reducing hop debris in the wort but was disappointed in the resulting hop bitterness/flavor. So went back to paint-strainer bag. I do find it useful for siphoning wort from the primary when the DH is commando-style.

12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

13. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

Home Depot paint strainer bags clipped to the side of the kettle works for me. I stir it a lot to make sure it gets good contact.

14. jimboothdesigns

Granitebeard likes this.
  15. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (96) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

When I get a bigger kettle, it will be great, but all the way up is perfect for a 10gal kettle.

16. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Yeah, that's the part I don't have. Sort of irks me as I just bought a second spider shortly before this thread started. From homebrewing.org, no less. And I didn't see this adjustable model. Oh well, I'll get good use out of mine, and if I find I need to adjust the height, I can figure out a way.