Hop input for tropical IPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CarolusP, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

1. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (99) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I rarely do IPA's, and if I do I'm typically following someone else's recipe. I'm not much of a pro when it comes to hop combinations and timings.

Anyway, my parents are coming to visit in about a month, and my dad loves IPAs that have the bitterness bite of a west coast IPA, but with the tropical hop aromas and flavors of an NEIPA (but he doesn't like NEIPAs). I've got a bunch of hops that I bought in bulk last winter which are taking up space in my freezer. I'm looking to brew something tomorrow with a simple 2-row and crystal malt grain bill (~6-7% ABV). Below is a list of all the hops I have in my freezer. For those of you who brew IPAs regularly, what would you do to get a good fruity, tropical IPA (timings and amounts)? Thanks in advance.

- 12 oz Citra
    - 6 oz Mosaic
    - 6 oz El Dorado
    - 4 oz Amarillo

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (482) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

For shame . . . you have some of the very best hops in the . . . well, in the world.

Here's SN's take on Tropical IPAs (it's PDG):
    https://sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/tropical-torpedo

You have their exact hop bill, except for Comet, so I would use 'em all. I'm presently in day four of cloning this. I added a little hops at 10 minutes, then heavy hop-whirlpool. Just tossed first DH in primary, then will re-DH in keg. There's no real magic in your hop ratios, just don't over-Citra it . My first grav sample shows high promise . . .

Also, this has a fairly moderate IBU (55) . . . the idea is to let the tropical fruit shine. BTW, my El Dorado was from 47 Hops (another thread) and it popped when I opened it.

#2 PortLargo, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 12:41 AM
  3. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (745) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Yes, use them all in a 10 gal batch...it's Fathers' Day :grin:...good thing they're not coming for a month...get busy. Cheers

4. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (158) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

I get a lot of passion fruit out of Cashmere hops.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,542) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I can’t provide exact input yet because I have not brewed it yet but…

I have plans next fall to brew a WeldWorks Juicy Bits inspired beer. I will be using WY1318 for the yeast and 1 oz. each of Mosaic/Citra/El Dorado for end of boil and 2 oz. each of Mosaic/Citra/El Dorado for dry hop.

Maybe this would make Dad happy?

Cheers!

@SFACRKnight

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,163) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I would brew the weldwerks juicy bits clone and use 1056. It has a good amount of bitterness, but is tropical.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (905) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

In related news, I'll be using Mosaic, Amarillo, and Citra in my next NEIPA as well. I think you might be on to something.

8. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (813) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

The thing is...what does, ‘tropical’ mean to you? Many people use it to mean two fruits: pineapple and mango, but there are TONS of other fruit flavors that come out of the tropics.

Some alternative suggestions:

I’ve always got papaya flavor from Ekuanot.
    Motueka has a distinct lime character.
    Sorachi ace has a great lemon character, but can also tilt towards dill, especially in single hopped beers.
    Maybe the most universally agreed upon flavor descriptor I’ve seen in hops is Sabro hops and coconut. Awesome new hop.

MrOH likes this.
  9. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (137) May 18, 2017 England

I can't help you with your hop schedule, but I approve of your dad's taste in beer.

PortLargo and CarolusP like this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (905) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Do. Not. Want.

Seriously, though, in what types of applications have you used Sabro?

Push_the_limits likes this.
  11. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (813) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I homebrewed with it twice. A brown ale with Sabro and HBC472. I was going for a faux barrel taste. It actually was surprisingly successful! Very nice and unique beer that tasted like it had spent time in a barrel without any of that thin deadness you get from barrel-aging lower ABV beers.

I also used a small amount in an American wheat with Amarillo and that was very nice too. A blink and you can miss it hint of coconut.

Commercially: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/287776/
    But keep in mind, that beer uses 7(!) other hops for blending.

Sabro is decidedly NOT a single-hop hop, but then again, I am of the opinion that very few hops are...

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  12. CarolusP

Thanks for the input so far.

What is everyone's general thoughts on late boil additions vs. doing flameout/hopstands? Since adding hops right at flameout and just letting them stand for 15 minutes or so can add a good deal of bitterness, is there really any compelling reason to still do a 5/10/15 minute boil addition?

My plan - unless someone talks me out of it - was to do a half ounce or so of Citra at 60 minutes to get the bitterness charge I'm looking for, then doing a buttload of hops at flameout for a 15 hopstand. I would later dry-hop an additional buttload of hops.

13. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (195) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I would not waste Citra as a 60 minute addition, even half an ounce. Between the hops you listed, I might use El Dorado for bittering, but if you have something like Columbus, I would go with that. If your dad likes "loves IPAs that have the bitterness bite of a west coast IPA," I would not skimp on the boil additions. Skew the hops too much toward the post-boil/cold side, and you may end up with something much like a NEIPA, which you said you do not want. Throw an solid ounce or two in at 60 for a 5 gallon batch, depending on the AA%. Again, for a west coast IPA, I would think a traditional late boil/flameout addition would be a better choice than a proper whirlpool, maybe something like 4-6 oz total. Then I'd hit it with a large (6 ounce or so) dry hop post fermentation.

As for the late hops, I think you need to go Citra heavy if you want "tropical". The rest of the hops you listed can play backup, but Citra is usually going to be the star. El Dorado is like candy sweet fruit, some say watermelon Jolly Ranchers. Amarillo is more floral, grapefruit/orange. Mosaic has some tropical flavors as well, but with some more traditional "American" flavors as well, notably pine. In my experience with Mosaic as a single hop, it was tasty, but underwhelming, potency-wise. Citra does NOT lack potentcy, so if your dad is put off by the potential "cat piss" flavors that can come with it, maybe discard my advice here.

IMO, it's easy to accidentally brew something close to a New England style beer when going too modern with the hopping technique, even without flaked adjuncts or special yeast. It should go without saying that you should avoid NE-friendly yeasts, but I really do like WLP007 for this type of beer for the acidity and slight tartness it imparts, which seems to compliment the fruitiness. Otherwise, something highly attenuative like Chico or San Diego Super if you want more flocculation. Mash low. Feel free to increase the hopping rate I suggested, but I would avoid going lower.

NorCalKid likes this.
  14. CarolusP

I brewed this on Friday. I did one 60-minute bittering addition with El Dorado and a little of everything at 5 minutes. The OG was 1.067. I know I'm rushing, but I'm hoping to have this thing turned around by July 5. Assuming things are stable, I'll bottle at 12 days (dry-hopping 4 days before that). I'll put the bottles somewhere warm so they'll hopefully be carbed nicely in 7-8 days.