Hop Slam price gouging.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Holmes698, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holmes698

Holmes698 Aspirant (274) Mar 7, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So, does my home town of Erie, PA have the highest price for Hop Slam in the country? We are paying $8-$10 per bottle. I feel this is highway robbery!!!!

russpowell and KS1297 like this.
  2. turbotype

turbotype Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2013 California

Hopslam? What's that? Never seen it. Doesn't exist...

But seriously, I can't find it anywhere here except on DRAFT at one select bar, where they charge 12 dollars for a glass. They can keep it, I don't care how good it is. Lagunitas Maximus, 8 bucks for a 6 pack...

3. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,158) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

That is ridiculous. Let them know that you will not be buying overpriced Hopslam and tell them you will not be shopping at their store any more. They will lose more in loyal customers than they will gain buy profiteering on once a year Hopslam.

4. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Yeah, that's higher priced than Pliny the Younger. ($7-10 a glass)

Morey, ThePaleRider and turbotype like this.
  5. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Michigan

Wow, dude I really paid 5.99 for two at my local store.....I thought it was fair.

6. niner99

niner99 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Michigan

At $8/bottle, that's $192/case...That's absolutely ridiculous!! The most expensive I ran across one up here was $80, and I thought that was bad!!

MPorts25 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  7. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (250) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

4.99 down here, 7 bucks a glass in at least one bar in NYC

Bustersuess and ONovoMexicano like this.
  8. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,213) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

hopslam in Minneapolis was $16.99 a sixer and $4 for a single

ONovoMexicano and mellowmark like this.
  9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Now the interesting thing about your pricing there is whether or not Bell's is actually distributing to the Erie area in PA. Suppose they are not and that's an illegal beer. Then the price may actually be a combination of what it actually cost the retailer to get them plus insurance against the fines, loss of license, and other costs potentially associated with selling beer not legally distributed there.

So is that a legal bottle at $8-10 or an illegal bottle at $8-10?

One way to tell is to see what other Bell's beers you can find, how many places carry them, and what their prices are.

russpowell, HRamz3 and JrGtr like this.
  10. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Regardless of anyone's opinion of the beer itself, this is not unique to beer and in no way Bell's fault.

I would simply not patronize an establishment that treated customers in that way. The margin on the relatively small percentage of their annual sales would seem not worth this sort of gouging.

11. BeerBatteredPhish

BeerBatteredPhish Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Pennsylvania

Unfortunately those of us in Pennsylvania are straggled by the balls with this state's arcane liquor laws. If only we had more free market pricing and selections.

Scrapss and 5thOhio like this.
  12. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Meyvn (1,146) May 2, 2010 Ohio

What a joke. I enjoy Hopslam as much as the next guy but in a world where Excellent DIPAs are becoming pretty common and more available, I would obviously pass. Also, find yourself a different store. This is the kind of shit the pisses me off about the craft beer world. A fantastic brew can't be enjoyed by some because of douche bags price gouging.

End rant.

jrnyc likes this.
  13. jminch

jminch Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2011 Ohio

Hopslam is a fine beer, fairly easy to find here(columbus). I feel $18 a six pack is way too much for that beer. I do get a couple every year to try it, and every year I remember that this beer is a product of hype. It's really good, but there are plenty of other beers that are far less expensive and equal or better IMO. So don't buy into the hype unless you know you really love that beer. Let some other sucker pay through the nose for the hype. If you've never had it, go for it, but know it's not going to blow you away, it's just a beer.

14. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (974) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I saw it briefly for $17/6 in Chicago. Seemed reasonable for that caliber of beer.

15. 4thelvofbeer

4thelvofbeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Virginia

23.99 here in VA. Some suggestions: Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA--10.99; Lugunitas Sucks--$10.99; Troegs Nugget Nectar--$11.99, all just as good and half the price of Hopslam. Unfortunately, I hate to see places that think because they have received a high rating for their beer on BA, justifies them charging an arm and a leg for their beer. Hopslam is NOT/NOT worth $24 a six pack...that is just plain stupid. Go with one of the other beers I listed or if you are in the NE area, Troegs Nugget Nectar for 11.99/a six....much more worth it. I did not buy any Hopslam this year solely because of the crazy-ass nonsense price of it.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (596) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Well if people are paying $8 to $10 a bottle for it, then they have are obviously fine with the price.

Just an fyi this is not highway robbery or gouging, you can't gouge on beer, it is impossible.

17. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I'd walk by it without thinking twice if I saw it for $8 a bottle. I'll take a four pack of Torpedo pint cans instead for 50 cents more, thank you very much.

18. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (825) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Paid 24.99 a sixer in DC. It's a great beer, but this has got to stop. So many better doubles out there.

russpowell and cavedave like this.
  19. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

Yea that is pretty high. I paid $4.99 For a bottle a couple weeks ago and i though that was a lot, but I still went for it because it seemed worth it just to have the chance to try such a famous beer. for $10/bottle i definitely would have passed.

I know highway robber is often used as an expression, but please don't equate theft with voluntary trade. You can always say no thanks.

Bones10 likes this.
  20. TheChef18

TheChef18 Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Florida

Yeah I got it for $21 a 6 pack at total wine and with the help of non beer drink cousins/sister scored 4 of them. $8 a bottle should get the guy reported to Bells for price gouging. Believe it or not they do care and will hold out on future releases for him.

21. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (639) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Not gouging.

Just be happy Erie is even getting stuff like this at all. Ten years ago you'd never see this there at all.

HRamz3 likes this.
  22. Beercanman1

Beercanman1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 Ohio

Maximus is better beer anyways.

23. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

Hurry and buy it before it spoils!

russpowell and JxExM like this.
  24. hansenm72

hansenm72 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Texas

$8 a bottle is batshit crazy. It's $15 or $16 a six pack here in WI and is still relatively easy to get. Local grocery store still had fresh towers of it when I was the onThursday. I've bought 2 sixers this year at $16 a piece and think it's well worth that.

jrnyc likes this.
  25. roger617

roger617 Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana

$17.99/6 pack in Bloomington IN. And still available.

26. cello

cello Initiate (87) Oct 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

[quote= Go with one of the other beers I listed or if you are in the NE area, Troegs Nugget Nectar for 11.99/a six....
    What I find strange is that I picked up a sixer of Nectar at the brewery for 12.00, 12.99 at Weis Market but the bottle shop 18 miles up the road was selling it for 15.00 a sixer here in the North East.

27. Evahflow

Evahflow Initiate (192) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That is certainly price gouging. It was 65$ a case in Pittsburgh and it went really fast. A buddy and I split a case. I then found a few 6 packs at a local bottle store and they were going for 17$ which I thought was fair.
    Wouldn't pay 8$ a bottle for hopslam though. I feel the taste is off bottle to bottle. Some bottles taste great and some the flavor seems way off. Just my experience with it.

jrnyc likes this.
  28. semibaked

No it is no price gouging, overpriced and expensive yes, gouging no.

29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (626) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I felt the $16 six packs of Hypeslam at my local shops was to much.

I will say $8-10 a bottle may be ok at a bar, but I won't pay it

russpowell and craigo19 like this.
  30. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (641) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Because of PA's 3-tier system Bells could only hold out on the regional wholesale distributer, not the individual retail store. The distributer has no power over what price a retail outlet charges.

The OP did not state if this was at a bar, but it probably was because they stated individual bottle prices. In PA you need a liquor license to sell anything less than a case. So the OP was probably "shopping" at a bar which typically has much higher markups. If you're sitting at a bar ordering a rarer, sought after beer $8 is expensive, but not unreasonable for that setting.

HRamz3 likes this.
  31. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (641) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It certainly is not. You can only gouge on necessities like, food, water, gasoline, etc.... No one needs Hopslam or any beer for that matter.

Furthermore, if you read my post above, given that this was PA and the OP was quoting a single bottle price, they were probably "shopping" at a bar. In which case, it's not an unreasonable price at all.

HRamz3 likes this.
  32. Evahflow

Evahflow Initiate (192) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Oh ok you are right 8$ is totally reasonable. Im wrong. What was I thinking.

33. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I paid $20 for a sixer two years ago first time I ever had it. Then I paid $20 for 4 bottles last year but it was at a convenience store in Miami, still less than the OP is reporting. The last 4 were in a six-pack so it's obvious someone paid singles prices for the other two. This year I paid $17.99 for a sixer.

34. semibaked

So you are surprised someone is trying to make money on selling a product in America? First Time in that country for you I take it?

These threads are pointless, If someone goes to a store and sees a product for more than they want to pay, their solution is to complain on the internet? The OP made it sound like he was obligated to buy it.

35. semibaked

Where in my post did I say the price was reasonable? Please point that out.

36. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,158) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

This price is way above the MSRP. Some brewers would stop distributing to stores that take advantage of the customers by selling way above the MSRP. The store is the middle man and taking advantage of this situation of limited supply and high demand. Basically they are scalping the beer. If this was Russian River or Alchemist for example this store would never be allowed to sell the beer again.

JOrtt and ChristopherShain like this.
  37. semibaked

I agree it is way about MSRP. Most of the time breweries have absolutely no say where their beer is sold after they sell it to a distributor. I am sure it has happened (like that place in Columbus), but most breweries aren't going to spend time and money making sure a store or 2 in Erie, PA doesn't get Hopslam because they sold it for a lot more than MSRP.

I encourage the OP to message me next year to tell me if those same stores got Hopslam and what they are selling it at.

38. semibaked

How am I hating because I told him that his definition of price gouging is incorrect? I suggest you look up the definition of hate and tell me that is what I am doing, I am trying to educate him, I don't hate him or you for that matter, but you are simply wrong in this case about the definition.

I totally agree it is expensive and there is no way I would ever pay that much for it either, but no one is making him or you buy anything.

tommyguz, BrettHead and jRocco2021 like this.
  39. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,993) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I paid $1.95. Is that too much?

DelMontiac likes this.
  40. osant37

osant37 Aspirant (284) Jan 4, 2014 New York

its $19.99 plus tax for a 6 pack at my local beer store. the owner only could get 3 six packs. of wich i bought 2. its a great beer but not worth the price for a beer that shouldnt be aged (DIPA).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.