Hopping Mad About Flavor

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (17,075) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Society

Condensed liquid flavoring designed to enhance beer, Mad Hops (and its competitor OnTap) borrows a concept from existing products that add flavor to other beverages, like water.

Read the full article: Hopping Mad About Flavor

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

I'm sad that there is a market for a product like this.

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,063) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Im going to be buying two of the flavors to test it out.

derailment likes this.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (970) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

At about .50 cents a beer I don't get why you buy this. You are adding almost $12 to the cost of a case of beer.

If anyone tries this please report back. Interested in what a High Life turns into when you add Porter or pale ale drops to it.

Enjoy

5. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,426) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol, how cool, I like the idea. It's like the fruity stuff you add to water for kids to make juice. I might try one to be honest, why not?

7. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

I use the ones for water when I'm backpacking in the desert and need to kill the mud hole waters taste. If there is a beer out there that's so bad I need to kill it's flavor with this stuff I think I'll just stick to water or root beer.

realPeterVincent and rankandfile like this.
  8. rankandfile

rankandfile Initiate (145) Apr 5, 2012 Maryland

lipstick on a pig

Fitzy01, beergoot and Squire like this.
  9. Wrypage

Wrypage Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2017

Works great in light beer. Just 5 calories! Will do the trick until someone comes up with an IPA Lite!

10. Wrypage

I've been putting it in my Bud Light all year. Just 5 calories, but really adds a lot of flavor. Pale Ale and Wild Blueberry are my favorites. We infused Pale Ale into a keg of Keystone Light this summer. You would not believe you were drinking Keystone!

11. Giantspace

How much did you need to add to the keg? Based on the web site cost and amount a bottle works with it seems like you spent more than just getting a keg of pale ale.

If you are only doing it as a calorie thing then more power to you. I'm fine with Hamms or high life at around 143 calories. I drink a few a day but don't watch the calorie count

Enjoy

12. Wrypage

You can buy Mad Hops in bulk for around $5 a bottle. We used 10 bottles to flavor a full keg. The keg of Keystone Light was lying around untouched for a while after a party, so I'm not sure exactly what we paid for it, but probably around $75. So that's $125 for a full keg of Mad Hops Pale Ale, which was so popular around our place it lasted about a week. A keg of Sierra Nevada goes for at least twice that around here. A lot of people preferred the bubbly Mad Hops version, to be honest. It's really good.

13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

From a pure cost standpoint I can see your reasoning here.

VABA likes this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,271) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Someone should mix Mad Hops Pale Ale with SNPA to see what happens. I'd really be interested in some blind tastings, say, Miller/Mad Hops Pale Ale versus a well known pale ale. It could be like one of those Chevy truck adds, you know when they uncover the Ford looking tarp and they all go "oooh it's a Chevy".

meefmoff, realPeterVincent and Squire like this.
  15. BillJackson

BillJackson Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2017

I have been using this stuff off-and-on since their Kickstarter campaign last year. The fruit flavors aren't for me, but the Pale Ale, Porter and Lime are quite good. Take a run-of-the-mill Keystone or PBR and turn it into something that is quite drinkable.

But as the founder says, if you're a craft drinker this isn't for you. But it might be a good thing to put in your pocket if you're headed out to a kegger that is serving up only Keystone to at least make YOUR beer taste better!

Kudos to Mr. Hanley for creating it.

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,347) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

This like Mio, but for beer. OK, why not take it all the way, mix it with water, add some everclear, and carbonate it :rolling_eyes:

Fitzy01 and mudbug like this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,492) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What size is a "Full keg"? Traditionally,"Keg" once referred specifically to a quarter barrel of beer - 7.75 gallons (but that usage is now pretty much dead, and every bulk container is called a "keg" :rolling_eyes:).

But the above comments, based on the cost of the Keystone, seem to be implying ½ Barrels - 15.5 gallons - of Keystone Light and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. "Around here" is vague, but I'd say SNPA in a ½ bbl. keg should retail around $180. Not exactly 2 times $125.

How does one "infuse" beer in a Sankey keg - by design, a "closed kegging system" and does not have a bung?

Jaycase, GetMeAnIPA and ICTguy21 like this.
  18. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (738) Mar 28, 2009 California

Wait, isn’t lime a fruit.....

PA-Michigander likes this.
  19. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

You forgot to take a spoon, dip it in some creamed corn soup and stir. Got to have those adjuncts.

bbtkd likes this.
  20. Giantspace

How do you add this to a keg?

Enjoy

21. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2016 Texas

Anyone else notice @BillJackson and @Wrypage created their accounts on oct 7th and both seem really excited about this? At least hire somebody with a BA account already so it isn't so obvious you're promoting your own product.

22. realPeterVincent

realPeterVincent Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2015 Maryland

T
    These are also their only posts! You figured it out! THEY LIVE!

23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (738) Mar 28, 2009 California

You don’t. It’s all LIES!

Well, unless they have a valve tool just laying around, which they don’t. Lies!!! I tell you...lies!

jmdrpi likes this.
  24. Wrypage

Well, I wasn't the one doing it, but I witnessed the process. Had to do with cutting the plastic line, squirting Mad Hops into the line, closing the end and then he opened the valve an it sucked right in. Here's a picture, if that helps! [​IMG]

25. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

I might try this just out of curiosity, as it's a pretty cheap experiment. I wonder how many nay-sayers have actually tried it and are speaking from experience...

26. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Would certainly be interested to hear what you think. I haven't tried them, and probably never will, but wouldn't be averse to doing so if given the opportunity. I simply like my beer to be beer-flavored. No need for extra flavorings. I like it just fine the way it is.

27. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,058) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Buy tasty beer, problem solved.

Fitzy01 and Jaycase like this.
  28. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,835) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Would be nice if people affiliated with a product would give a disclaimer when posting. :rolling_eyes: It is a bit humorous when the street teamers sign up within days of a post like this, however.

PA-Michigander and Realsambo like this.
  29. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2016 Texas

This is just a bad as those spam emails, minus the bad spelling and western union requests.

Jaycase likes this.
  30. Fitzy01

Fitzy01 Zealot (525) Sep 6, 2014 Maine
    Trader

This product is taking away from "the craft" sorry not for me.....

realPeterVincent likes this.
  31. BillJackson

For the record, I am not affiliated with Mad Hops, but was a sponsor of their kickstarter campaign since the product intrigued me. When this article in Beer Advocate published an email was sent to the people who supported Mad Hops from that campaign asking for people to share their experience. So I did and was up front about when and how I sponsored them.

yes, and lime is a fruit. I should have said the "sweet fruits" were not for me

ICTguy21, DonicBoom and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  32. BillJackson

As I posted earlier, I signed up and posted because I was a supporter of their crowdfunding campaign last year. The Mad Hops guys sent an email out asking for those who had previously supported the product to post their impressions, which I did.

Sorry if that offends you, but I truly do like the product, at least some of the flavors.

33. BillJackson

FWIW - here's a link to the campaign, it wasn't Kickstarter but Indegogo (same thing, different name)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mad-hops-makes-everyday-beer-taste-great#/

34. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,835) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sorry, meant the other poster above. Cheers.

ETA: But given the email reference, I was kinda right regarding the street teamers part. :wink:

35. BillJackson

FWIW and for full disclosure, I've now joined the Mad Hops team helping to build this business. I liked the product, sponsored their crowd funding program and then decided to join them to help raising money to grow the company.

But when I originally answered this post, I was not affiliated other than having had funded the crowd funding campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.