HOPPY Imperial Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Googs, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrill

mattcrill Meyvn (1,316) Mar 16, 2004 Ohio

If you mean "most hop forward" I would say Storm King and Old Raspy (not a bad thing, I totally love them).

Most RIS's are "hoppy" by definition (i.e. high IBU's) to balance the grain bill made to use them.

Not uncommon to have a 70-90 IBU RIS with lots of rich malty "stout-like" goodness.

I guess it depends if you prefer a balanced RIS or lots of late kettle hop forward RIS's.

I like them both depending on what I'm looking for.

2. Peter_Wolfe

Peter_Wolfe Initiate (97) Jul 5, 2013 Oregon

It's kind of a continuum, right? I mean I think there's a lot of crossover between the bigger imperial black IPAs/CDAs and hoppier stouts. I'm not sure where I'd draw the line, but it probably has less to do with the hop side and more to do with the grain bill. On this continuum though, I like hoppy IPAs/CDAs a lot (Armored Fist is ambrosia), but I like my stouts to remain more malt-forward.

3. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

Nothin brother. If you identify Zhukov & Hunaphu as hoppy I defend your right to say so. I also reserve the right to spell my name smith & pronounce it jones, either way that doesnt make it true. Cheers.

4. dowen17

dowen17 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Alabama

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous.

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

My lupulin threshold must be in left field, I don't get a hop presence from old raspy, or yeti. Bitterness? Yes. Hop flavors? Not even a little bit.

Cvescalante likes this.
  6. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,225) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Society

7. rxeight

rxeight Aspirant (250) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Pipeworks CloseR encounter

atomic and farts like this.
  8. duluoz

duluoz Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California

Stone IRS
    Abyss
    Stone 15th

When those are fresh, the hops jump out of the glass.

9. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Ill second smuttynose imperial stout and victory storm king

10. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Disciple (325) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

We gotta call this style "India Imperial Stout" because everything hoppy now-a-days has to have "India" in the name.. Or we can just call them Imperial Black IPAs!

All in favor, say AYE!

Or just press the "like" button.

11. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (389) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Pipeworks CloseR Encounter is the definition of hoppy RIS.

O H M Y G O D

farts likes this.
  12. mweso2000

mweso2000 Disciple (353) Apr 10, 2010 Georgia

Sweetwater Happy Ending is pretty hoppy. I once made a Black and Tan with Dales Pale and Ten Fidy. Delicious!

13. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

You might want to reconsider given the amount of Mt. Rainier hops in Zhukov. I must have missed where you are the new authority on what beer tastes like. Here's an idea - Go to the tasting room today, order a Zhukov, and if you don't taste a lot of hops up front you may want to find a new hobby.

Opinions are like assholes, which most certainly applies here in more ways than one. You can spell your name whatever you choose, if that's your prerogative. Either way, i don't give a damn what you think. Cheers.

14. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

Wow, i guess the hop bittering lingers. Its an opinion forum mr potty mouth. Civilized folks more often than not can elevate their disagreement without being disagreeable. Apparently, even the most superior palates, given a blow horn simply can't resist blowing it. I'm crushed we don't agree. Snore.

cand differ

15. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

Potty mouth? Lol.

Mr. Sensitive, calm down. We can agree to disagree and move on. Next time just try not to be so condescending, you'll get a bit further. Everyone has a different palate...quit acting like YOURS is the authority and anyone who differs is wrong.

16. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (588) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota

Sooooo...that ought to kill this thread....

next!

RayUF07 likes this.
  17. prdrums77

prdrums77 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

blackcompg likes this.
  18. awakeavast

awakeavast Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2013 Illinois

Pipeworks Close/closer encounter.
    I've only had the close. I'm holding onto closer until i find another bottle of close to do a side by side

19. addiwilliams

addiwilliams Disciple (393) Apr 4, 2011 Virginia

Yeti.. . But there are also a decent amount of hops in FBS. Not to the point of being really bitter, but enough to make it balanced. It was the first imperial stout I REALLY enjoyed for that reason.

20. addiwilliams

addiwilliams Disciple (393) Apr 4, 2011 Virginia

As far as black ipas go... Southern Tier iniquity. SOOOO good

blackcompg likes this.
  21. blackcompg

blackcompg Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

Hoppy stouts? My first thoughts are Victory's Storm King and Two Brother's North Wind. You'll also pick up a little hoppiness with a fresh FIS or Bell's Expedition...but any hoppiness drops off significantly with any age on them.
    But if I'm understanding the flavors you enjoy most, I must insist you try these 2 beers - Trust me on these, I think you will Love them:
    1. Southern Tier's Iniquity, which is an Imperial Black Ale
    2. Uinta Brewing's Dubhe, which is a Imperial Black IPA
    In both of these beers, you will find notes of citrus and grapefruit, along with dark chocolate, roasted black coffee, and hints of licorice. And my two favorite styles are RIS's and DIPA's - and these two beers are really pretty darned close to what a well balanced combination of each would be - if you try one of these, pls post back and let me/us know your thoughts, I personally think you will be Very pleased - Cheers!

22. Pbhockey04

Pbhockey04 Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2012 New York

Evil Twin Brewing Yin

23. atomic

atomic Aspirant (234) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

Theres still close encounter on many shelves. Don't wait!

24. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2008 Ohio

The first time a had a Sweetwater Happy Ending it was from a bottle. There was no description of the beer on the menu so when I took my first sip I thought I was drinking an IPA. It was a few weeks later when I poured one into a glass that I realized my mistake.

25. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Aspirant (204) Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

IMO, Fresh Sexual Chocolate is a pretty hoppy one. Plus one for all the Happy Ending posts. Sweetwater just can't work within a style without overhopping it in the worst way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.