hops and summer solstice

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SFACRKnight, Jun 14, 2017.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I had read hop bines should reach the top of their trellis/pole/guidewire by the summer solstice. In years past I have never topped or pruned the tip of my bines, does anyone have expeience with hop cone output in regards to pruning the tops of the bines?
    hope everyone is having a good year with their bines. My centennials are around 10-12 ft, chinooks in the half barrels have hit 10feet. Not my best year for the centennials, but the chinooks may have a banner year.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (679) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I would not do that intentionally. Due to wind, etc. sometimes that happens anyway, but the laterals that result don't seem to have as many cones even though they (the laterals) are usually longer.
    Spring weather conditions play an awful important role on how big the bine is on the solstice. I've noticed with non-traditional "wiring" of hops in my backyard usually results in the crop coming in twice a year which I like because I don't have to pick them all at the same time.

GormBrewhouse and SFACRKnight like this.
  3. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (261) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Never heard of trimming hop bines. Good growing years so far with the goldings and fuggles already past the cable, 14 ft.
    C hops are slower than last year, nuggets are super, minimal insect and disease pressure so far.
    I get side shoot weither the top gets broke off or not , every year seems to be different.

Maybe I'll try a fresh hop ale with 1 lb of centennial!!! Sound familiar?

SFACRKnight and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  4. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I used that comrade superdamp recipe and it's been my favorite wet hopped ipa. I tried a NEIPA with wet hops, meh. Too much other crap going on to really enjoy those fresh flavors.

5. GormBrewhouse

Yep, same here, better to use dry hops for neipa. But your fresh hop ipa with 1 lb of centeneal sounds exciting and with a little luck and 2 extra bines, I might get it.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  6. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (481) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My Cascade and Chinook hops reached their maximum height (~12-14' or so) weeks ago and are just massive. Grew so quickly this year. I did not prune or do anything this year, aside from trying to control the growth out of the ground and bad runaway bines.

GormBrewhouse and SFACRKnight like this.
  7. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (146) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Kind of happy this came up. As a first year hop grower, I was wondering what I should do pruning wise with them, and it seems like the answer is don't.

On another note, tallest bine is maybe 4' tall, and most of the others are 1~2' and then I have two that are probably 6" or so. Seeing as how we hit 60 degrees a few weeks ago up here I think it is doing pretty good but at the same time feel like I should be further along by now. Again, this is first year growth and I am 100% new to this.

8. GormBrewhouse

Check for bugs and disease/ molds. In New England, we have a lot of bugs 2 spotted spider mites are the worst and powdery and Downey mildew.

I spray neem oil weekly until the small burrs appear. This takes care of most problems. After my bines reach the cable 14 feet, I prun off the lower leafs up to 3 feet.

Any leafs should be removed from the site so,not to encourage more molds and bugs. Keep the ground around mowed short.

Lots of good info online. Check out university of Vermont hops project and university sites in Washington and Origen state.

jbakajust1 and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I unloaded a bucket of ladybugs to keep aphids at bay, and they love the hop bines. Every year my tomatoes get hit with aphids, but never the hops. Because of our climate I have to leave (pun intended) the growth around the crown as a kind of living mulch, seems to work great for Colorado. I water them daily and fertilize weekly.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,935) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

At the 2015 NHC there was a presentation entitled Hops: Grow and enjoy your own by Sean Gardinier. In that presentation Sean stated that hop plants should be pruned such that there is only 2-3 bines growing up the wire/rope.

Cheers!

SFACRKnight likes this.
  11. GormBrewhouse

Yep lady bugs would work if I timed it right, but they move. Elsewhere if there are not enough prey species around. I mulch with compost so constant feed, tho not as aggressive as the pro growers.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (679) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Growing commercially is in some ways a totally different ballgame as harvesting easily by machine is critical. Airing out the mound to ensure good air flow is also important in areas with a lot of humidity/moisture...and not watering by spraying from above. Aphids can be attracted by too much fertilizer/nitrogen from what I hear.

13. GormBrewhouse

Yes and to much phosphorus. The compost I use contains much less NP and K then what pro growers use per acre.

Aphids are easy to kill with neem or other over the counter insecticides. Spider mites are tougher, especially after the burrs come out. Then , I've read that you can no longer use neem or other horticultural oils.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

You can still use lady bugs. :rolling_eyes:

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.