Hops recommendation for Irish Red

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by corbmoster, Nov 9, 2018.

1. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (177) Dec 15, 2014 Texas

I got a recipe for an Irish red (below), but it called for cascade hops at 15 and 5 minutes. And that just seemed off to me. I have a modest assorted stash of hops that has been vac sealed and freezer kept and I'd like to use some of it. I was thinking:

5 AAU (HBU) of Target hops @ 60 min
    0.5 oz EKG @ 10 min
    0.5 oz Northdown UK @ 5 min

Northdown is kind of the off duck I guess. Should I just go to the LHBS and get some fuggle? Or just stick with the cascade?

3.5 # Munich
    5.5 # 2 row
    0.25 # Cara Munich
    0.25 # C 120

Salager 34/70

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’d go with some fuggle or EKG; why the lager yeast for an Irish red?

3. corbmoster

Killian's uses lager yeast for their red.

Prep8611 likes this.
  4. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

FWIW Smithwick's uses Hercules and EKG. I think any English variety would go well. You should probably consider Whitelabs 004 or Wyeast 1084 since it is an ale you are shooting for. Just trying to be helpful here. I have been also considering brewing an Irish Ale but haven't gotten around to it. Smithwick's would be my personal touchstone, really like that one for an Irish Red.

5. corbmoster

I think Smithwicks uses an English ale strain. I could be wrong. Good beer none the less.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Why wouldn't you use the Northdown? It is a classic English hop, sometimes used for aroma. I never used it myself, but from what I have read, it is not out of place in a beer that is essentially derived from English bitter.

corbmoster likes this.
  7. corbmoster

Is using munich malt normal for an Irish red? I would have thought an Irish red would rely mostly on marris, with some crystal malts, and a little roast barley. I could be wrong though, I've never brewed an Irish red before.

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I've seen examples of English, Scottish, and Irish beers that have use Munich malt to boost maltiness. 3.5# in a 5 gallon batch is probably the highest I have seen. For example, the Brewing Classic Styles recipe for Scottish ales has 3.6% Munich malt. Your recipe seems pretty heavy on the Munich by comparison. Would that ruin the beer? All depends on what you like, but I think it would be tasty.

Would it be recognizable as an Irish Red? Trickier question to answer. My guess is a good BJCP judge could pick up on the hyped up Munich, and maybe they would be puzzled by it. What do I know? If you like Munich malt, do it.

corbmoster likes this.
  9. corbmoster

I do like munich malt.... I was already committed to brewing the beer. This just makes me want to pull the trigger. I was going to brew today, but it didn't work out. So hopefully tomorrow :slight_smile:

pweis909 likes this.
  10. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Devotee (493) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

I do a really nice Red with Columbus and Simcoe for bittering and Centennial towards the end. FWIW :slight_smile: