HOTD near downtown

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sprucetip, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprucetip

sprucetip Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2007 Alaska

My friend will be in PDX for a conference at Portland Convention Center next week. Is there a retail store nearby that sells HOTD? Hoping for a delivery of precious nectar to Alaska.

Also wondering what might be on the shelves from HOTD currently? Or other super special brews worthy of transport to Alaska?

Thank you!

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,050) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Whole Foods will have it.

djbreezy likes this.
  3. sprucetip

Adam? Fred? Doggie Claws? From the wood? Others. Curious, so I can give my friend a specific shopping list. Thank you.

4. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (228) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Adam and Fred

djbreezy likes this.
  5. sprucetip

Cool thanks

6. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

Maybe the Blue Dot DIPA too.

7. sprucetip

Does the brewery retail bottles? Would Belmont Station have anything from the wood, in case he can get to SE?

8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

When I left work tonight, we had Adam, Fred, Blue Dot, and Collage in stock.

djbreezy likes this.
  9. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

The brewery has an awesome collection of vintage bottles for sale but they are on premesis consumption only.

10. boMD

boMD Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Oregon

From the Woods are typically brewery only releases. Occasional a shop will buy bottles from a release and resell them. But as mentioned above, you won't find From the Wood in shops around Portland. Doggies Claws is a winter seasonal, it would be by luck if your friend was to find some on the shelf.

11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,371) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Actually, I have seen Fred from the Wood at my local MofC in West Linn. However, it's been well over a year since I last saw any there, and in fact, when I stopped by this morning, they were out of HOTD beers completely. For that matter, when I stopped by the tasting room yesterday, they didn't have any blue dot on tap (they did have bottles), and indicated it might well be several weeks before they have it available on draft again (I was horrified to see that blue dot is no longer listed on the regular tap menu at the Horse Brass).

I was kind of relieved to hear Chris mention that Belmont Station still has a good supply of HOTD beer.

12. boMD

boMD Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Oregon

Hence the "typically" in my post. :wink:

They rarely enter distribution that it's not even worth mentioning. Finding them is like finding a golden Easter egg. I know a few weeks back Saraveza had THREE Fred from the Woods. They were gone within a couple of hours.

13. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Everything is back on at the tasting room as of my most recent visit on Thurs.

To the OP: Assuming your friend likes beer, I would say he should just go to the tasting room. It's a simple bus / drive / walk (down the Esplanade) from the convention center and he can sample additional beers beyond what he can pick up to-go there.

14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Zealot (504) Aug 28, 2009 Florida

I can confirm with JohnM that there was no Blue Dot on-tap yesterday (Saturday). Lila was an absolute stunner though and definitely a beer I can see myself getting a growler of at some point this Summer. Full of noble hop spice so not exactly a replacement for Blue Dot.

vkv822 and gueuzehead like this.
  15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,371) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, I wanted to try the Lila and the Will, but we had a dinner reservation, so I just got a glass of the collage. Hopefully I'll be able to try some before hearing out of town on Wednesday.

16. gueuzehead

gueuzehead Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Washington

Lila was the best beer I had my last HotD visit, great summer beer!

17. IpeeA

IpeeA Devotee (486) Jan 22, 2010 Missouri

Did Apex finally sell out of their $30 from the Wood bottles?!? If so I'm impressed that many people were willing to pay that much.

18. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

Last time I was there was for the 10 Barrel tap takeover and it looked like most of em were still there. Price is a bit steep especially when a standard $5 Adam is quite amazing. Probably worth $30 for a bottle of Matt, however, if that's even in stock.

19. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

A couple days ago, they still had Matt($30), AftW($25), CAftW($25), and BFftW($12 or 15?). Maybe Michael too, but I can't recall.

djbreezy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.