American Ales House Pale Ale - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by JohnSnowNW, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Exactly, lots of flavor and aroma, with a subdued bitterness. Of course, if you prefer a bit sharper bitterness adding a 60 min hop of around 10IBUs to this recipe will give you that.

2. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

Just checked mine, gravity has fallen from 1.054 to 1.012. Hydrometer sample smelled and tasted great, at least as far as these things go. I'm gonna keg this by tomorrow and will report back in about 10 days, but so far it's really promising.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  3. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (486) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

And bottled, tastes good let you know in 2 weeks or so how it is. Definatly not bitter at all but it is hoppy!
    Thanks for the recipe.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  4. GormBrewhouse

Only 3 days in the bottle and I had to open one. This is hoppy without a bit bitter. I like it so much I will be making another batch next week. Easy drinking and smooooooooooooooth. My thanks to JohnSnowNW. a very fine recipe.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  5. JohnSnowNW

6. GormBrewhouse

Seeing on another post you wanted comment and or changes to the original recipe here,s what I have done.

1st batch is original recipe and very good.
    2end batch was same grain bill but used cascade nugget and Chinook hops with the same timing. It is still young but as usual, I opened a few. More lemony , due to the nugget I think, but a nice change.
    3rd batch was same grain bill but used cascade Columbus and citra with same hop timing. That one is still in the fermenter.
    absolutely love the grain bill and lack of bittering hops. Obviously my pals do too!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  7. MCBanjoMike

After three weeks on the CO2, mine is finally properly carbed and drinking nicely. It's a hazy yellow, not nearly as orange as what you see in John's photo, and the head tends to stick around for a long time. It has fantastic hop aroma, really beautiful. The body is quite light without much bitterness - honestly, it's a bit different from the beers that I usually tend to drink, but it goes down smooth. Great for a hot day, and I can tell you from experience that it makes an excellent summer beer. I see this one being popular with my friends who don't like super-intense IPAs, though personally I think I would prefer more bitterness and a bit more malt character to come through. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I made this, or something very similar, again in the future. It's a great beer to have around, especially for folks who don't like having their taste buds smashed in by strong IPAs.

For the record, I followed the recipe to the letter (including the 10-minute hop stand at sub 170F temperatures), only adjusting for my efficiency. The one goof that I made was overpitching by a large margin, but I don't know that it had much of an impact on the flavor. Thanks for the recipe, @JohnSnowNW!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  8. JohnSnowNW

Thanks for the feedback, guys, really appreciate it!

9. MCBanjoMike

So last night, two of my friends came over for dinner, one of whom brought a mixed sixer of Two Hearted and Huma-Lupa-Licious (neither of which you can buy around here). I suggested we start with my keg of pale ale before moving on to the more bitter commercial IPAs, so we all had a glass. When dinner was ready, I cracked a Two Hearted for myself, but both of my friends decided to stay on the House Pale Ale. They had 3 pints each over the course of the night, never touching the IPAs, and one asked if I could bring what was left of the keg to a party he would be throwing next week. So despite my reservations about the lightness of the beer's body, it looks like it's a solid hit.

(Actually, one friend commented that the body was on the light side, but every beer he tried to compare it to was around 7% ABV. So you know, you can't get something for nothing.)

JohnSnowNW and GormBrewhouse like this.
  10. JohnSnowNW

Heh, I'll take that as a fine compliment for the recipe, and also your brewing chops. :wink:

11. GormBrewhouse

rock on johnsnowNW!!! Opening the house pale version 3 sunday. EXCELLENT recipe. thanks so much for sharing.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  12. marcdalke

marcdalke Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Connecticut

This was by far the single best hoppy beer that I've brewed. Thanks @JohnSnowNW !
    I am still in the extract game, so I converted the recipe. This is the juiciest beer that I have ever made. Papaya for days!
    1.062 SG
    1.013 FG
    It's crazy to think that this wasn't dry hopped. I cannot wait to try this again when I finally make the leap to all-grain.
    The color is gorgeous as well.
    Enough typing, I need to go drink more of it!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  13. JohnSnowNW

You're welcome, and glad you're enjoying it!

If you're happy with your extract conversion, feel free to post it. Might help others that want to brew this, but aren't brewing AG.

Thanks again for the feedback!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  14. GormBrewhouse

Have you ever subbed galaxy for citra in this recipe. Thinking about doing that next week.

15. JohnSnowNW

I have not, but Galaxy is one of my favorite hops. I don't believe I've used Galaxy with any of the hops in the recipe though...so I can't comment on how it would pair.

16. ronobvious2

ronobvious2 Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Tennessee

Since I can now do all-grain and have a second temp-controlled fermenter, I'm totally doing this this weekend. For the efficiency, what does "adjust accordingly" mean? Also, I guess GP means the Golden Promise grain? Also also, you boil for a full 50 minutes before you first hop addition?

17. JohnSnowNW

Congrats on the transition!

The efficiency simply means that if you get less than 85%, you'll need to add more grain to compensate. So, whatever calculator you use, just match the OG and FG numbers. I would advise that you only increase the Golden Promise to reach your OG, don't increase the Crystal.

Yes, there are absolutely no hop additions before 10 min left in the boil. And as I stated earlier in the thread I do at least a 10 min hop stand/whirlpool, under 170°, after FO.

Good Luck!

18. ronobvious2

I guess since I don't know what my efficiency is, I'll have to wing it for this first time.

19. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

If you're planning to batch sparge, I'd aim for 75% efficiency for your first go around

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  20. JohnSnowNW

Yes, 70-75% would probably be a good guesstimation for the first go around. Personally, I achieved 68% my first attempt at all-grain.

21. ronobvious2

I watched a boatload of Grainfather videos before I took the plunge, and it seems 80% is a realistic value, so I'll go for 75% as a guess and calculate it later. The Grainfather constantly circulates wort during the mash so that's why it may get better than average efficiency, I guess. I just a few minutes ago bought the Brewer's Friend iPhone app, so I'll plug your recipe into it and see what it tells me to do.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  22. ronobvious2

Got the app and 2-year account on brewersfriend.com, punched everything in and here is what it spit out. I guess the only thing to check is the pitch rate. I thought it would go ahead and tell you how many packages/cells etc of yeast you'd need. After I brew this I'll check pre-boil gravity, OG & FG.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
    Title: Jon Snow's House Pale Ale
    Author: Jon Snow

Brew Method: All Grain
    Style Name: American Amber Ale
    Boil Time: 60 min
    Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
    Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
    Boil Gravity: 1.036
    Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
    Original Gravity: 1.054
    Final Gravity: 1.014
    ABV (standard): 5.29%
    IBU (tinseth): 46.13
    SRM (morey): 7.01

FERMENTABLES:
    9.25 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (94.9%)
    0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5.1%)

HOPS:
    1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 17.2
    1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 13.45
    1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 9.46
    1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.02
    1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 0
    1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 0
    1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min, IBU: 0

MASH GUIDELINES:
    1) Sparge, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.25 qt

YEAST:
    Wyeast - American Ale 1056
    Starter: No
    Form: Liquid
    Attenuation (avg): 75%
    Flocculation: Med-Low
    Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
    Fermentation Temp: 62 F
    Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
    Wyeast 1056 @ 62F for 7 days, raise to 70f afterwards.

Personally, I kegged after 14 days from start of fermentation, but left at room temp for an additional 7 days in the keg.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
    Date: 2015-09-23 18:19 UTC
    Recipe Last Updated: 2015-09-23 18:18 UTC

23. JohnSnowNW

Yeah, so you'll want to up the GP so that you reach 1.059. Also, bear in mind that with proper pitching and O2 you'll likely have lower than 1.014 FG, since mine ended up at 1.011.

24. ronobvious2

I'm stupid and don't know anything, but how big of a diff is 0.005? Just playing with the numbers it says I'll need 10.1lb but my ingredients are no different than your's, so why the difference? Just because of the efficiency?

25. JohnSnowNW

It's 5 points, which may be noticeable, and may also affect the FG. Yeah, it's due to efficiency.

ronobvious2 likes this.
  26. ronobvious2

Just noticed I misspelled your first name - my apologies. I don't know where I got "Jon" from, but I'll fix it.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  27. JohnSnowNW

Ha, no worries!

28. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

The true scandal is that his real name is neither Jon nor John! *gasp*

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  29. ronobvious2

Meh, my real name isn't Ron Obvious either, it's Kelly Beard. Whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  30. MCBanjoMike

Gonna brew this one again! My friend liked it so much that he asked me to make him a keg to serve at a concert he'll be playing in February. Only change I'm going to make is to us US-05 instead of WLP001 this time, which I'm guessing won't change much.

GormBrewhouse and JohnSnowNW like this.
  31. mickr84

mickr84 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Australia

Did something inspired by this last week, but used Centennial (10, 5, FO), Simcoe (10, FO) and Amarillo (5, FO) instead. Pumped to keg this!

JohnSnowNW and GormBrewhouse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.