Houston Beer Bars

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by GoPokes, Feb 14, 2020.

1. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,662) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Good to know, it is definitely not being made at the levels it was, and I find it really strange that I can't find it in the Heights since Feb (and heard from a few bar owners before it was going away, but that can always be hearsay). Granted I haven't been out and about as much for obvious reasons, but this is always been Saint Arnold central for distribution.

jeebeel and kbenson like this.
  2. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (122) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

Since I had them both on hand, I decided to do a blind taste test of the two All Togethers with my wife. She liked Sigma's a little better and I liked Urban South's a little better. We both thought both beers were very good, to be sure! Having said that, I think Urban South does many IPAs that are better than their rendition of All Together. Yes, I'm a huge Urban South fanboy and I was happy that the blind taste test was consistent with my love for what they're doing over there!

Also, I love that this thread has basically become the "Houston Breweries" thread rather than the "Houston Beer Bars" thread. I wonder if we should ask the admins to change the name? Regardless, I love that we're having some conversation in here!

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,843) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I think the think with Urban Souths' version is that it has more what I call Hop Astringency, or bite. It is something that I pick up in all (most) of the Treehouse beers and I am not really a fan of it. I saw the last one I had lurking in the fridge the other nite and took it out and actually thought that the additional 2 weeks it sat in the fridge helped round it out. Urban South was the last brewery I went to before the town was shut down. I plan on going back as everything i had was pretty good. I think there needs to be some database cleanup as the HTX beers have been added under the NO brewery

4. RiceVillage

RiceVillage Initiate (10) May 16, 2020

wait, what? is this a serious post?

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  5. donspublic

Society Trader

I didn't even know this place existed until the other day. I went thru some of the reviews, and unless something has changed @champ103 reviews have scared me off of that place. I don't get downtown that much so am somewhat selective in what I do with my time when I am there.

6. champ103

Society

I'm not the biggest fan of their beers, nothing really technically wrong with them, I just find them one noted almost bland. I wouldn't blame anybody if they did like them though. Their newish tap room is really impressive, though can be overrun with kids (I've never had a problem with kids at a bar/brewery but it can be too much even for me here). If at Great Heights, walk across the street and try it, maybe they will hit for you. I have seen the owner at Great Heights several times, and he is a really nice guy. Wish I liked his beers more, but just one of those things I guess, nobody is going to like everything.

donspublic likes this.
  7. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (180) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Agreed. To me the beers are mediocre at best, and the place can seem like a daycare center that serves beer. Plus I live in the neighborhood and it has been open the past few weeks, business as usual unlike every bar. But that's a different discussion.

8. kbenson

Yeah. I"m serious. Sounds like not a lot of love for the place from everyone else. Sorry to hear that. But everyone's entitled to their views and opinions. They're a different experience. They may have something they call a "NEIPA" but that's probably the last beer you should be judging them on or even be getting on their tap wall. Their owner and head brewer has a passion for British ales and frankly I found everything he did in those styles to be very solid and enjoyable. Is it shocking that folks don't find these beers very exciting? I don't think so. When was the last time anyone got excited about traditional British style beers?

They put a lot of thought into their design, and they may have one of the nicest, most welcoming spaces of any brewery in Houston (outside of the Saint Arnold's beer garden, of course). And because the space is so nice, and the beers are so approachable, they've begun to attract a decent crowd. And that crowd is comprised of a lot of 20 and 30 somethings with their families (i.e. young kids). I know a lot of people don't like seeing kids running around breweries, but it's a sign of the times. And that's basically the demographic of the neighborhood. They're a great neighborhood brewery that is popular with the community.

Great Heights is the perfect contrast. That's the type of place you go if you're into the more aggressive, modern styles and like less kids (they still have 'em there too, of course). Or as I've been saying, try Astral which isn't far. There are kids there too (seems like they're everywhere these days!) but they execute the modern styles way better than Great Heights in my personal opinion. And to be clear, none of these breweries are downtown. They are all basically in a neighborhood just north of the 610 Loop called Garden Oaks. You can maybe thank Petrol for making that neighborhood such a strong place for craft beer in the city. If only they could have done better to keep up...

But getting back to it, if you want a brewery that is going to have 4-5 British style ales on tap at any given time (right now, per their website, they have 2 ESBs, a British pale ale and a porter all on tap), and you can both (a) tolerate having a lot of families with kids running around and (b) find parking, then Walking Stick is a great option.

9. donspublic

Society Trader

I will give them a go, I tend to hit up breweries by myself and find a corner and read or watch a netflix show (i know that sounds sad) but kinda like my "me" time. Most of my friends aren't big on craft so unless I am with my wife or kids, it is usually me. Do you know if they have brewery/brew pub license. Wondering if they have wine available to sell (that determines if my wife goes with me). Thx in advance

kbenson likes this.
  10. JoelNece

JoelNece Initiate (0) May 19, 2020
    Trader

rodbeermunch likes this.
  11. kbenson

Not sure what license they have, but I do know they sell wines for the non-beer drinkers. There's also an "urban winery" pretty much right across the street from them. Assuming they're still open, they used to let you go buy a bottle from them and drink it at the brewery as well.

You may have trouble finding a quiet corner to watch netflix. The place has gotten very popular with the local community. Honestly, its a great brewery to bring the wife and kids to. It's pretty family friendly and it's not your typical industrial-type space. It's a very pleasant place to have a pint or three. Again--the beers will not blow you away. But they're solid, and a good source of British style ales if you're into that.

12. kevinboyer

kevinboyer Initiate (41) Apr 10, 2008 Texas

I'm a little late to the party here but if your GF is up at IAH, Fortress Beerworks is about 20min away in Spring. I had some of their beers last weekend and was pleasantly surprised with their Wit and ImPALEr pale ale.

Also not mentioned, close to Eureka Heights (in proximity), is New Magnolia. They have been pumping out some great beers, as well.

13. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Devotee (405) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I've heard great things about New Magnolia!

Sean Spiller - who I believe is the head brewer - used to be one of the head brewers at Jester King. That alone makes me wanna check this place out.

14. champ103

Society

If you like buttered popcorn and cream corn in your pilsner, then go for it :slight_smile:

Though they did do an English Dark Mild, which was a tribute to David Toups, that I enjoyed (and damn near made me cry in my beer, I miss that guy). Need to get the courage to try some of their other beers again, to see if they have been cleaned up. Its pretty obvious when even my buddy, who doesn't know the first thing about diacetyl, says "why does this taste like butter."

15. kbenson

I went to New Magnolia and am hesitant to report that I was underwhelmed. Interesting art and an open (if typically industrial) space.... I'm sure I will give them another try as things open back up again.

16. champ103

Society

Yeah, I want to give their pils and hefe another chance to see if those are cleaned up. At least to me it seemed like diacetyl and DMS. The Toups Dark Mild on cask was pretty good and would recommend if you like traditional English styles. Haven't had much else from them though.

17. kevinboyer

kevinboyer Initiate (41) Apr 10, 2008 Texas

Dang, I’d say give them another try. I’ve never tasted butter and have been pretty impressed with their recent India Pale Lager and love their coconut and vanilla stouts.

kbenson likes this.
  18. kbenson

Has anyone been to Baileson? What do y'all think? Honestly, we (wifey and I) liked it a lot better than New Magnolia. Cool little neighborhood brewery in West U.

19. donspublic

Society Trader

I had an hour to burn one day earlier this year, or right before Christmas and I swung by there and grabbed a set of tasters. I told the server to fill it out with the beers he liked the best. They were solid. It is on my list to go back to when things get "normal" again

kbenson likes this.
  20. champ103

Society

donspublic and kbenson like this.
  21. champ103

Society

jeebeel likes this.
  22. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (441) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

You didn’t quote a post but I’m almost positive you’re talking about Walking Stick.

I’ve felt the day care vibe every time I’ve been (if that’s where you’re talking about) and I don’t like it. The beers aren’t good enough to keep going back :confused:

23. SMH_NWI

Trader

I just bought a house in Garden Oaks and moved in last week. I’m happy Astral Brewing is very close. Is Astral on tap anywhere in town?

24. jeebeel

:beers::beers:
    Yes, that is the place that I was referring to. When my wife and I go drink beers on Wakefield, it is an easy pass for us.

And welcome to the neighborhood. I also recommend adding Eureka Heights to your list of breweries to visit in this part of town.

25. donspublic

Society Trader

jeebeel, SMH_NWI and champ103 like this.
  26. SMH_NWI

Trader

I’ve been in Houston for a few years now, the past two in Midtown, and I’m in the Heights & GOOF a lot mainly bc of the beer/breweries. It’s good to live here now. Cheers

27. jeebeel

28. champ103

Society

On 11th and Shepard in the Heights. They had a bunch.

jeebeel likes this.
  29. donspublic

Society Trader

I have gotten one from the brewery and the rest out here in cypress at the more upscale HEB's.

30. jeebeel

I picked up the Sigma Loggerbier yesterday, but only tried it today. It's very good and true to style, I appreciate the recommendation.

donspublic and champ103 like this.