How do you decide what to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Boomer4ES, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,302) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I'm in a similar situation to OP, where I live in a 3rd floor apartment and my "cellar" is the bottom cabinet in my kitchen and whatever space in our fridge I can claim.

For me, priority starts with freshness. If I have something hoppy I'll try to drink that first.

I don't drink much on the weekdays, but when I do its usually something I've had before and I know I'll enjoy. The weekends for me are all about trying new beers and reviewing. From there, its usually what I'm in the mood for. I usually try to spread out styles, but it kinda depends on the weather/time of day/what I'm doing. On a day like today where I'm just playing video games and have no plans I won't watch ABV and just dig into whatever catches my eye.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  2. WreckedPalate

WreckedPalate Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Wisconsin

Most Toppling Goliath to least Toppling Goliath?

TheBrewo and Boomer4ES like this.
  3. PorterPatron

PorterPatron Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 New Hampshire

Occasion, mood, food pairing

Boomer4ES likes this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't have any problem choosing what I'll drink from my regular stuff in the fridge. I'm always either in a definite hop mood or a malty mood, so I grab whichever of those types are closest to the front.

If I'm looking in my 'cellar' fridge I'll usually know ahead of time what I want just because something caused me to think of a certain beer. But if I don't have anything particular in mind, I'll just stare at them until one of them says 'drink me, drink me.' Usually what causes that to happen is that while staring at them I'll think of some BA post that said that this beer or that beer shouldn't be aged past three years, or something like that. You guys help me frequently.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  5. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I never put much thought into it. I have roughly 300 beers on hand at any time and focus on my hoppy beers first. Depends on my mood, weather, time of day, and if I want something new or something familiar.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  6. HoptimusPrimeIPA

HoptimusPrimeIPA Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Florida

If I'm at home the hoppy stuff always gets first priority. From there it's just whatever really strikes my mood. Some nights I just go digging in my cellar (the back of a closet like the OP) until something catches my fancy. If I'm at a bar I usually look for seasonal or special release stuff that I happen to stumble into first if nothing like that is available it's just whatever in in the mood for at the moment.

Boomer4ES and Genuine like this.
  7. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

Really depends on my mood. Unless a special occasion is upcoming, such as the Super Bowl, then I'll pull some nice things out of the cellar. Otherwise, just depends on what is in the fridge at the time or what season it is. I tend to drink certain styles during the seasons, for example, like winter, more stouts and barrel aged big beer.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  8. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (442) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

It really all depends on the season/weather and what I really feel like having. For me, beer is all seasonal and that greatly determines what I'll have. In the winter time i'm found having more stouts, barely wines, old ales and higher abv offerings. Come spring time, I have my traditional BBC Cabin Fever Ale, and then start with some medium ABV Spring beers that aren't as heavy but still carry enough alcohol to keep you warm through the cool spring days. When the dog days of summer arrive, I'm crushing Goose Island 312, SN Pale Ale, Founders and of the like. There are a few bottles that I will buy with the intention of sharing with a friend who would appreciate it or a new beer to try with a fellow beer enthusiast.

Tonight I started it off with SN Celebration and I'll be quickly cracking into some Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout because it'll be colder than a witches tit here in NE CT. The 10% abv will help warm your bones.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  9. AC-Mivsek

AC-Mivsek Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Ohio

Let the liquor do the thinkin, Bobandi.

TankerSteve, Mitchell57 and Boomer4ES like this.
  10. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

If I have four of one style and just one of another, I'll take a couple in a row from the four before having the sole one... I like to try to keep things "balanced."

Boomer4ES likes this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

moods

feelings

fleeting moments of appetite

hormones

champ103 and Boomer4ES like this.
  12. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

I'm loving everyone's responses. This garnered a lot more attention than I figured it might. I'm actually having a few friends over tonight under the premise that they can pick anything they want out of the fridge. None of us have any big plans tomorrow, so that should hopefully put a nice dent in the inventory. I think that I will try to hold off on beer purchases for the next week or so, and since most of the stuff in the fridge is the same style, I will try to just do a mystery grab or two each night and see how that works out.

TX-Badger likes this.
  13. SebD

SebD Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2010 Canada (ON)

I tend to always drink average beers first and always put highly rated beers on the back burner until I have some good friends to share it with or if a special occasion presents itself. I've been starring at a bottle of Hill Farmstead's Aaron since last August. I just don't wanna drink it cause then I know it'll be gone and I'm gonna want more. I also have a bottle of Prairie/Evil Twin's Bible Belt that I got in a trade about a year ago. I still haven't gotten around to drinking it but I might just have to take it out for the Super Bowl.

T-Bird likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

HORMONES!!!?? :grimacing::grimacing:

Boomer4ES and yemenmocha like this.
  15. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois

I mean im not gonna lie, ive opened the fridge and stood there staring before for a good 5 mins trying to decide what to drink. But just whatever I feel like really, no system.

16. BostonHops

BostonHops Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I like to jump around a lot so I'll typically settle on 3 or 4 different styles and drink in a rough order of least to most bold, flavor-wise.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  17. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

I've been in that spot where I'm just standing and staring at the beer deciding what to drink...the last time I did this though my wife came by, grabbed a beer, told me to drink that and close the damn door!

DeepBrew and Boomer4ES like this.
  18. tvoss99

tvoss99 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Arizona

90% of the time I want to try a porter/stout/ipa that I've not had yet. If I've seen enough people on here posting a beer they like I tend to give those a shot. If a brewery has a sweet label/logo I can also be swayed that day too.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  19. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

On my commute back home, I run through a 'mental' inventory of what I have on hand and most often, I am able to choose a particular beer and/or flight for the afternoon/evening.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  20. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I love how people always bring up the fact that the higher ABV beers and liquor will "warm you bones;" only to lead to hypothermia and/or frostbite that much faster if you actually have to spend any considerable amount of time outside in that frozen hell (aka the Northeast & the Rust Belt).

raffels and Boomer4ES like this.
  21. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

I just browse until I feel my neurons fire in an obvious way that - that's the beer for me at this moment! If nothing fires, then perhaps save the beers for later until you really want them.

Boomer4ES likes this.
  22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Whatever sounds good at the time.

23. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (849) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

Typically, if I have a well stocked fridge (which I usually do), I'll pick something based on my mood. Sometimes I'm feeling some hoppy goodness so I'll go for an IPA. Other times, I'm looking for something dark and roasty, so I'll go for a Porter or Stout. If you aren't in a particular mood for something, close your eyes and pick something :wink:

24. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

I have the beer organized by a pseudo IPA to BA Stout spectrum.

Will gravitate towards drinking the harvest ales and IPAs as quickly as possible, but usually I start perusing a shelf based on what sounds good at the moment. A step further is how many I plan on drinking...if more than one I may pass over a known favorite for one of my "ticking", new-to-me beers.

25. Icarus

Icarus Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 Minnesota

Blindfold yourself and then just start grabbing.

Get the GF/wife involved too, good times...good times.

26. DeepBrew

DeepBrew Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Texas

Here is my scientific method (patent pending):

A: Weekdays I tend to drink 12oz sized, not-too-high ABV beers
    1. If I have a rotating availability beer that I never had before, I will try it in case I want to get out and buy more
    2. Else if I have a weather-appropriate, 12oz, I pick that one
    3. Else I will have a beer I did not have before (non-rotating availability)

B: Weekends are for higher ABV and/or higher volume bottles
    1. Friday and Saturday I usually pick one of the bottles that I kept eyeing during the week, but did not meet the criteria for weekdays
    2. Sunday I will have one of my favorites

As an alternative, you may also try something like 'Next Glass'. Whatever your problem, there's an app for it.

27. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (443) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Was there any doubt Betty was in therapy?

28. Cobudzin

Cobudzin Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

I love stouts especially BBA. But I like them aged. Additionally I like IPAs fresh. But also enjoy some with a little age on them too. So I try to drink the IPAs fresh and squeze in a BBA stout every few days.

29. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

I grab a chair, open the fridge and wait....first beer to break a sweat gets pulled.

DeepBrew likes this.
  30. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,457) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

if I have an IPA in the house that'll be on the chopping block first. Other than that I usually waffle between a sour and something else that's reasonable to drink on a weekday. On a weekend it's balls out and high gravity. I may also have at least 30 cases of bombers in my house so it's a challenge to decide what gets drank on any night. I usually spend a good five minutes picking my poison.

31. PostRockandCats

PostRockandCats Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Florida

Depends entirely on mood, if I'm drinking with anyone and if I've got a beer that should be drunk while fresh. For example: I've got a friend who likes beer, but isn't into the face-murdering hops that are rampant in high IBUs. So, I'll whip out the brown ales and dark lagers for her, and keep the hoppy stuff for me.

If you have a few different kinds of the same style, you could have a theme tasting.

Mainly, though: if sounds good, drink it.

32. Loveyourbeer

Loveyourbeer Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Virginia

Sometimes I try to pair a beer with what I'm eating that night. Sometimes I just grab what ever I want....in a beer, that is.....

33. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Maryland

This is mostly about mood, but other factors might be what I'm eating, is there company over, whether it's a new brew to me, and which beers are freshest.

34. oldsailor

oldsailor Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Connecticut

My decisions are always based on who I'm drinking with. If it's just me (sad story), then I typically go for a low-key IPA. If it's my wife and I, we typically reach for a good stout. If there's a lot of people, we go for some fairly special things to increase the wow factor, but nothing super hard to get unless we have enough to go around. And on the small, real aficionado beer parties, we break out the good stuff!

35. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (429) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

What if your beer chooses me instead? :wink:

36. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I grab whichever beer in my fridge is least similar to the ones I just had.

37. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

If it's with food that makes a big difference. Otherwise it's whatever Is closest to the front of the fridge. The cellar stuff is really just for special occasions

38. TooGood

TooGood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

I like to mix it up. So if I've had a certain style for a few days in a row, I am guaranteed to grab something different the next day.

39. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Go with a combination of what will expire the soonest and what goes best with what you plan to eat that day.

40. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

sounds to me like someone needs to invite some friends over for a tasting :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.