How do you usually acquire nice beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Warren2621, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lysergicdream

lysergicdream Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 Colorado

my wife and i pack up the kids every summer and tour a different region hitting breweries, national parks, museums, historical sites... just got back from the annual trip (great lakes region this year) and the haul was somewhere around 170 bottles. should last me til next summer when supplemented with local purchases!

rickzim1 likes this.
  2. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 California

I would say have a regular bottle share with good people who do trade and travel. If you can meet people in the industry, you may find that they get hooked up by other breweries across the country. Just start hosting a regular bottle share with like-minded folks.

3. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (341) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

Sometimes it is like winning a cage fighter match on release day down at the bottle shop,...

4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,036) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I shop about 4-5 different stores with some regularity, and have another 2-3 that I hit every so often. Previously, I just alternated between two stores and hit another couple every so often. In either case, that's how I've acquired about 95% of the beers I drink. Local shopping at multiple locations.

5. joshdaut

joshdaut Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Illinois

I've found that little hole-in-the-wall liquor stores are the best ones to go to. They often share the same accounts as the larger beverage depots, and don't sell out as quickly. Leaving the hard to get stuff for me :wink:

Also, becoming friends with a liquor store employee is always a great idea. They'll often hold stuff for you or let you in on limited items they keep for themselves in the back (those bastards!)

For those out-of-town beers that aren't distributed to your state, I'd agree with most posters and say trading is your best option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.