How does BA speedway stout compare to Bourbon County Coffee Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ToadiesForCody, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToadiesForCody

ToadiesForCody Aspirant (258) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I am thinking about picking up some of these bottles but at 40 a bottle that is twice as much money as BCBCS. Is it worth the extra 20?
  2. BH712

BH712 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2014 District of Columbia

$40?? I've never seen BA Speedway in stores (or even tried regular Speedway yet), but I've seen in the forums people saying they're going for $30. Probably worth checking elsewhere.
  3. rozzom

rozzom Defender (644) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I prefer BCBCS, but BA Speedway is still a very solid beer. But agreed with the above - $40 sounds too much. I traded for it, and the guy who I traded with said he picked it up for $30
  4. miketd

miketd Zealot (533) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Last I paid for BA Speedway it was 20 bucks, maybe thirty. As far as comparison, Speedway has far less coffee but I like them both about the same.
  5. ToadiesForCody

ToadiesForCody Aspirant (258) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Awesome, thanks for the help and information!
  6. DrunkAl

DrunkAl Aspirant (280) Apr 22, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It doesn't compare.

Barrel aged speedway is a solid barrel aged stout, nothing mind blowing. I dont believe that the coffee is added to the barrel as it is in BCBCS, so you get a lot less coffee.

BCS Coffee is one of the best BA stouts. Crazy amount of coffee when fresh. Tons of bourbon.

As far as the gap in price, bourbon county is by far the best deal in BA stouts. BA Speedway is overpriced and they get away with it because of the rarity.
    #6 DrunkAl, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    fehrminator, Roguer, mackeyse and 5 others like this.
  7. jolly_lynch

jolly_lynch Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Arizona
    Beer Trader

From what I understand, it's been $30 at the brewery, and distros have been picking some up as well and selling them for $40. That was the case for BA Grand Cru and BA Old Numbskull previously as well.
  8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,417) Mar 18, 2010 California

BCBCS is much better.
  9. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Not asking to sound like a dick, just genuinely curious:

It's a brewery only, order ahead and pick it up in person beer. How are you casually "thinking about picking up some of these bottles"?
  10. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,243) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It recently hit shelves in Wisconsin (probably elsewhere too) and is going for 35.99 per bottle.
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (474) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I prefer the special coffee editions of Speedway Stout Like Kopi Luwak, and Vietnamese Coffee even if they don't have any bourbon. Actually, the Bourbon Barrel-aged Kopi was also much better than regular Barrel Aged Speedway!!
  12. ThrowingKnivesDepot

ThrowingKnivesDepot Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 California

$35.99 is a great price. From the recent sale bottles are ~$32 each after you pay the brown paper ticket fee, and can only be picked up at the brewery by the person who purchased them.
    Roguer and ChanChan like this.
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (474) Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I agree with you!! I would much rather avoid a huge line and buy the beer at a Local Store for $35.99!! I hate this brown-paper ticket bullshit!! It adds a significant cost to each beer you purchase!!
  14. ThrowingKnivesDepot

ThrowingKnivesDepot Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 California

I love BPT, no waiting in line and the website is pretty stable. It does however add 3% to the cost of this beer. Also if it was limited and sold at stores it would be gone very quickly.
    ChanChan likes this.
  15. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Huh. Learn something new every day! Are they actually distributing it, or did someone just sort of snag a few bottles and put em up for sale?
  16. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (561) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

It's going for $40 and $42 at the shops in Hudson that OP is referring to.
    Not even close to being worth $40, IMO.
  17. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (398) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

lonewolfcry is right is very good but at 40 dollars +
    it's just not worth it. There is a lot of other great beers out there for far less money
  18. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

BA Speedway is solid, but not $40 solid.
  19. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Crusader (717) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Actually distributing it, it was everywhere in Milwaukee and Madison last week.
  20. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,229) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

BA Speedway tastes better, but BCBCS is probably a better value.
    Mantooth likes this.
  21. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,960) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Regular Speedway Stout is an absolutely awesome beer. However, is it better than Ten-FIDY? FIS? Prairie Bomb? I'm not so sure. With that in mind...

...I definitely don't think the BA version could possibly be worth $40. BA Eclipse (another example), at $30, is overpriced. Some BA bombers are overpriced at $20. Bourbon County bombers, at ~$30, are top of the line; if you're going to charge more than that, it should be better than that, and I have yet to find anything that meets that criterion.
    MichPaul likes this.
  22. miketd

miketd Zealot (533) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm not a fan of regular Speedway, but BA Speedway is very good. But you are right, it doesn't make it 40 dollar good.
    Roguer likes this.
  23. tourdot

tourdot Zealot (542) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I really enjoy both BA Speedway and BCBCS and consider them both great BA coffee stouts; however a $20 4 pack of BCBCS ($0.42/oz) compared to a $40 750 ml of BA Speedway ($1.60/oz) makes BASS a 1 bottle a year purchase where as when BCBCS hits, I buy as much as I can. I will say, it is pretty damn cool being able to buy Alesmith BA beers in WI when everywhere else they are brewery only.
  24. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

The bourbon in BASS is more subtle when compared to BCBS. Both great beers though.
  25. shagens

shagens Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

BASS is one of my favorites and I probably prefer it slightly to BCBCS. They are quite a bit different and I really like both of them and am happy to drink both anytime. BASS is really expensive but I do not mind spending that for a known commodity considering the number of drain pours I have purchased and received in trades.
    anticipation23 and TaborTime like this.
  26. Morakaton

Morakaton Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Michigan

People actually pay this much money for beer? No beer is worth that kind of $ per ounce, unless maybe if the beer pumped you full of hallucinations of winning the lottery and finding the love of your life. Maybe then....
    Masters likes this.
  27. shagens

shagens Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Why is that any different than spending $15 plus popcorn and soda for a movie, $40 dollars for a bottle of wine, $50 for a steak, or $100 for a football ticket? If I split a bottle of BASS with 2 or 3 people I consider it a fair return for my $12 to $18 dollars.
  28. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

Yeah buddy! BASS is one of those must-drink/must-buy stouts that only hit shelves once in a blue moon, glad to see you enjoyed the one I traded ya!
  29. SlightlyStoopidG

SlightlyStoopidG Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2012 Ohio

I wasn't that impressed with BA Speedway. BCBS is on a different level imo!
  30. SLOCruzin

SLOCruzin Aspirant (224) Sep 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

BA Old Numbskull, BA Rye Old Nunbskull, and BA Wee Heavy are sitting around here in the bay because they are priced around $40. When Sucaba is $15 and Arctic devil was $20, tough to want to fork over an extra $20-25 for a product that isn't even necessarily better. Although I have not seen the BA Speedway show up yet around here, same rules apply.
  31. Morakaton

#31 Morakaton, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  32. Morakaton

Woops, that was botched up, my phone isn't the best place to type on =D

Anywho, I was just trying to say how I feel $40 is an absurd price when I can get BCBCS or KBS at a fraction of the price. I know comparing different beers isn't the best way to compare value of price, but when I see things like $40 bottles coming out of Alesmith and The Bruery, it makes me not want to buy their products because they think their stuff is holier than art thou compared to comparable products from other breweries. Would you pay $20 per 12 ounce bottle (essentially what BASS is costing)?
  33. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

BA Kopi Speedway is one of the best BA Coffee stouts I've ever had and, personally, will give it the nod over BCBCS.

That being said, BCBCS blows BA Speedway out of the water. BA Speedway is a solid BA stout, but its just a bit too bitter and roasty for me. On the other hand I can drink BCBCS by the pint because its so smooth, plus the coffee aspect to it is so clean and free of astringency.
    ToadiesForCody likes this.
  34. Mantooth

Mantooth Meyvn (1,192) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I agree - Speedway made more of an impact on me. However - I popped my sole bottle of BCBCS after doing a vertical of Lindley Park with some friends - so I need to give it another chance. I found it to be way over-hyped.
  35. 77black_ships

77black_ships Devotee (445) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

I prefer BCBS both are nice. 40 $ for BA Speedway is too much money.
    BA Speedway has a bit more roast, liquorish feel to it while BCBS is way thicker, sludge like bourbon coffee goodness.
  36. ubiq3000

ubiq3000 Initiate (153) Dec 6, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

BCBCS > BA Speedway
  37. ryman546

ryman546 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

In a side by side comparison ba speedway doesnt compare to bcbcs. Speedway is a great beer but bcbcs is probably thee best coffee stout ive ever had.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.