How Far Would You Travel for Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sportscrazed2, Apr 13, 2018.

1. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (206) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana

I think the title says it all. I live rather close to Three Floyds. I was thinking of taking the train to Chicago and fumbling my way to half acre but I'm trying to be Frugal and I don't think a day trip to Chicago would end up frugal. Anyway I'm curious what your longest trip just for beer might be?

Premo88, DoctorZombies and dcotom like this.
  2. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,252) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

You need to justify your frugal nature and visit 3-4 breweries when you make your trip. It's worth it then.

As for me, I once drove 50 miles each way out of my way down into Colorado during a trip on I-80 to the west coast and ended up with a whopping total of 4 bottles of Pliny. It was well worth it for that beer.

3. M-14

M-14 Initiate (118) Feb 5, 2014 California

Paso Robles... from San Jose.

Half-full, Premo88 and DoctorZombies like this.
  4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (309) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

For beer specifically? About 45 min away. I like to travel but beer is a small part of that equation and not why I'm going anywhere .

If you are trying to be frugal brewery visits have no place, especially travelling brewery visits.

Half-full, Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  5. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (196) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

45 minutes to Tree House for me, but very rarely as I usually stop in when Ian driving by for work.

When traveling I’ll go 20-30 minutes if there is a brewery in the area I want to check out.

6. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,798) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

To the moon if it had a nice BA stout or barleywine :grin:

Tukiluka, nvbrew, GOBLIN and 6 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,438) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I'll readily go 20-30 minutes out of my way, especially if I'm combining the trip with other errands, which is usually the case.

ovaltine, eppCOS, Greywulfken and 6 others like this.
  8. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

"… And I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles"

9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,100) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

The only trips I make "just for beer" are the three-mile drives to my local distributor, although I did drive to CT for beer so I could have a beer from all 50 states. That stated, last year I went on a beer tour of Bamberg although we did some sight seeing between brews. Generally, it's a good idea to combine the beer run with some other interests, particularly if you are married and plan to stay that way.

10. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (383) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Last year I drove (my wife drove home) about 45 minutes to Victory's brewhouse/restaurant (absolutely worth it). For just beer, when I was a high school teenager I used to drive 25 minutes to the beer distributor that served kids. I'm just not gonna go on a lengthy trip/crusade to find some beer. It'll come to me eventually. If it doesn't come to me, then F' it.

chipawayboy likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Keeping in mind that I take a couple beer-centric vacations each year, my answer is still "to the pub".

eppCOS, chipawayboy and DoctorZombies like this.
  12. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I rarely make travel plans because of beer, but I always make sure that when I travel I have the lay of the land and know which breweries, bottle shops I want to visit when there.

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,212) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Not more than about 20 minutes.

Half-full and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  14. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (300) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

5 hours to from Chicago to St. Louis and Decorah. You should absolutely come to Chicago for a beer trip. It will not be cheap, but it will be awesome.

mlee2587, eppie82, Half-full and 2 others like this.
  15. sportscrazed2

Its a nice day tempted to go right now but I have to see that stupid rock movie

chipawayboy, Lahey and Mothergoose03 like this.
  16. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Meyvn (1,390) Jan 26, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

Just finished a few days in VT gathering up beers from across the state. That's about a 3.5 hour trip from my place in Canada. I make tye trip a few times a year.

17. ElBuffalo

ElBuffalo Initiate (49) Apr 23, 2015 Ontario (Canada)

Hamilton, Ontario --> Burlington, VT - 9 hours

Off to Chicago in a couple weeks - 8 hours

18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (817) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

About 10 miles

19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,947) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

in answer to the question posed in the thread title, it is yet to be determined. Going to Belgium for Westvleteren is not out of the question. (Yeah, I know you can order it online, but what fun is that?)
    Where did you get it? Is it more or less readily available? My co-worker's brother lives in Denver, and I'm trying to score some through him.
    This is what I'm talkin' about! On the way back from Vegas last summer, I rerouted myself through Cheyenne from Denver just for some Wyoming beer. It was only about 120 miles out of the way, give or take. (So after all that, I heard earlier this week that we're going to be getting Black Tooth [Sheridan, WY] here soon. :grinning:)

DoctorZombies likes this.
  20. wclambjr

wclambjr Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2018 New Jersey

I planned a ski trip with the wife from South Jersey to Alchemist in Stowe. Hit Magic Hat in Burlington and Idletyme. Had to stock up on Heady Topper! Was about 8 1/2 hours one way. I'de do it again!

21. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,252) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

We stayed overnight in Cheyenne and drove down to Ft. Collins to a bottle shop there. This was 4 years ago and Pliny was harder to find then, so I was monitoring the posts in the Mountain regional thread to see when CO got a delivery. A good-news post popped up so we went.

Our trip took us two days later to Santa Rosa where we picked up two cases of Pliny, but at least I had drank my first Pliny in a Cheyenne hotel and then had a few 'extras' from this overall trip.

22. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,824) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I flew to Germany to taste the rauchbiers in Bamberg. I'm not sure there's anything on my radar that's further than that.

23. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,601) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

I flew from Tampa, Fl to Santa Rosa, Ca for the Pliny the Younger release this year...had a great time!

eppie82, Vitacca, Half-full and 7 others like this.
  24. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,064) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

If you want to experience the world's great beers and beer cultures, you should probably be ready and willing to travel ca 5000-7000 miles.

surfcaster, GOBLIN, bret717 and 4 others like this.
  25. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (408) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

From my home in Norfolk, I've made a trek to Richmond once as far as a straight-up stand-in-line beer trip. That's about 1.5 hours, give or take. I've also made a copuple of beer adventures to Williamsburg which is about 45-50 min away.

When I'm out in the western part of the state on vacation (Lexington, VA) I've radiated about an hour out in many directions - Roanoke/Salem, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Crozet.

Half-full and bret717 like this.
  26. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I didn't go to germany FOR the beer, but I certainly made it a big part of my trip. Work was just a side hustle those two weeks.

27. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (431) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Distance doesn't equate to cost typically. Chicago might be an exception. Many of us travel 1/2 a day or more for a great beer release, but often bring many of the amenities needed. The only cost could be as basic as gas if that person plans on camping out in line.

I personally have traveled about 6 hours for beer (BC Black Friday), but make a long weekend out of the trip to visit friends in the area.

Lahey likes this.
  28. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,297) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I will take a short road trip say couple hours if it is something really special. I would turn it into a nice lunch stop and a little R&R so not a big deal. But usually I drive 10-30 min for most of what I get so I am very lucky.

29. Mindflow

Mindflow Initiate (93) Jul 9, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I'll drive over to Angry Chair from the east coast of FL for releases. 3.5 one way. So is 7 hrs of driving worth it for diabetes? YES! :grin:

wclambjr likes this.
  30. beer_beer

beer_beer Initiate (172) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium

I'd say fifteen minutes one way. That has been my routine for getting to the well stuffed superstore at weekends. I have made a little longer "trip" too for a special beer but even then it was below half an hour one way. Think you could say a total travel time of one hour is what I will reach at my best.

After that it's mainly online. But planning to look at the assortment wherever I travel.

#30 beer_beer, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  31. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,534) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

Most of my travel revolves mainly around beer... San Diego would be the furthest I’ve gone... :sunglasses: New York, Boston and Burlington where more specifically for beer, as will my next trip to Philly and Richmond be. I will travel anywhere for awesome beer.

32. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,293) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

For a specific bottle/beer? 30mins just to downtown Seattle, nbd. Did go the the New England area couple years ago on beercation though so......few hours flight time. Both trips are worth it.

Half-full and Lahey like this.
  33. ingchr1

ingchr1 Initiate (143) Jun 4, 2008 New York

The farthest I travel just for beer is 45 min up to Suarez, and that's leaving from work. From my house it's 75 min.

So, I'd say I'd travel up to 75 min just for beer.

Half-full likes this.
  34. scream

scream Zealot (555) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Several times a year we make the 2 hr drive to central Waters because we like their beer and the taproom. The last trip was the best scoring XX anniversary and Rum Barrel Coconut.Porter

35. sportscrazed2

Oh I already have leftover train tickets that will take me into the city. I'll definitely be going when the weather is nice but wont be bringing anything back unless Binnys is like right next to the train station. I just sparked this question because I was thinking of using it today seeing how it was supposed to be 70 and I had a spare Cubs ticket. To be honest I just wanted to go to half acre but I Google mapped it and it would take an extra 40 minutes once I get off the train unless I uber. Money is relatively tight now so I'll hold it until it's not.

36. sportscrazed2

Oh great now this has me thinking. If I have a weekend off work go to Wisconsin for new Glarus and cheese?

Half-full and Mothergoose03 like this.
  37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,438) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Haha, too true! But I hear there's also some pretty cool stuff to do in Europe as well :wink:.

herrburgess likes this.
  38. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,061) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

I let the beer come to me...

I don't travel off the island (Long Island) for beer - and even on the island (which is about 120 miles by 25 miles at best), I don't really drive that far - I'd say maybe a few times I've driven 30-45 minutes away just to go to a particular beer store - but even then, its not the distance, its the traffic that makes it take so long. Most of the beer I get has been a 15-20 minute drive. Any "off-island" purchases I've made (like Vermont or Massachusetts) were because I was there for other reasons...

39. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,555) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Check Russian rivers website for list of places they distribute, scored a couple of bottles in Montrose co when I was there a few years ago. Lat year made sure I was on a project that was going to spend 10 days in Belgium, that fell thru and it ended up being in Poland, shit one of the best trips I have ever been on. Scored some Belgian bottles to bring home also. Polish dudes be brewing great beers. Definitely plan on returning there one day. Also if I want to hit up a brewery I have to drive to downtown houston which is 25 miles.

bret717 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  40. chefmosh

chefmosh Initiate (72) May 31, 2008 New Jersey

I traveled 80 miles from Bergen county NJ to Newtown PA for a Russian River tap takeover.
    Redemption , Blind Pig, Pliny et al. My third year going, I look forward to it now every year.

Half-full and Premo88 like this.