How has BeerAdvocate impacted your life?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, May 6, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,244) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

We've read threads on how people found and joined BeerAdvocate, but I'd love to hear positive ways that BeerAdvocate and its awesome community has impacted your life (personally or professionally or both) since you've been a member.

Thanks in advance for sharing your BA story!

2. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Initiate (174) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Hello,

Over the past year, I’ve made some connections to ppl in different areas of the country through BA. Some of them invited me to visit, I still need to that them up on the offer. It’s been great!

cheers

Amendm, meliscious, dcotom and 6 others like this.
  3. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (182) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

BA is one of the sites that I regularly check throughout the workday during downtime. I appreciate the beer related discussion as well as the banter. I've been to a few of the meetups organized by the M̶i̶d̶-̶A̶t̶l̶a̶n̶t̶i̶c̶ US-Northeast/Other Half thread regulars and had a great time putting real life faces to online personas. I've done a few in-person beer trades, too. Overall, I'm glad that I made an account here. Thanks @Todd!

rozzom, guinness77, Amendm and 7 others like this.
  4. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,582) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

It all started with « randomly » (sorry @Todd) looking for a new community online and googling some of the highest ranked forums by sites traffic and BA then in 2015 was amongst the Top 20 for the platform we use, Xenforo. Maybe still is to this day. Random at first glance but what a journey it has been!

Personally I’ve made some acquaintances online but also in real life as I met a venerable advocate from Florida here in the northern burbs of Paris. Only looking to meet more if it wasn’t for the pandemic.

Also, I spend quite some time weekly with the gracious Wbaydn? Crowd for the banter but also sometimes more thoughtful topics and reviews about beers new to us. New beer weekend has been far more focused on beer reviews and is equally interesting.

Professionally it has to an extent as being a mod for a bit over two years now, although on a volunteering basis. I’m still learning new things everyday and don’t by any mean consider myself an expert at all.

rozzom, ATL6245, Amendm and 12 others like this.
  5. BPVandenbroek

BPVandenbroek Devotee (428) Jan 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

In the long term I'm hoping that I can make some positive connections with other beer lovers around the world.

I'm also looking forward to the day when there is a larger international community of active, contributing members to help make beer advocate the top tier beer review ./ forum website worldwide.

rbowser, Roy_Hobbs, puck1225 and 8 others like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve been on many sites, mostly Philly sports sites. The BA guys imo are absolutely the best. Best run sight, selfless guys who go out of their way to be helpful. In comparison those Philly boards absolutely sucked, it was a daily zoo of attacks and fighting, bickering, name calling, life was too short to deal with that shit.

How I found this site I can’t remember , I haven’t a clue, but I’m glad I did.

lastmango, Roy_Hobbs, DBosco and 12 others like this.
  7. riko

riko Initiate (114) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I met several of my closest IRL friends through the Pacific Forum and learned a lot about the local San Diego scene when I first joined 13 years ago. I still find good info on the forums. Unfortunately, many of my friends were banned back when the mods were a bit trigger-happy on the ban hammer, but we've stayed in contact through other forums/channels.

Amendm, Junior, sulldaddy and 4 others like this.
  8. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (494) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I come here because there was (and still is) a thread about local beer finds. I like the ratings/reviews as well. But the local thread is my jam. :sunglasses:

Amendm, Junior, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  9. jts211

jts211 Aspirant (278) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

For me, honestly, I discovered BeerAdvocate through a google search for "beer trading". I was curious if people traded beer! After pursuing the trade board, the interface appeared to be the simplest in my opinion and easiest way to go about it. At the time, seemed very similar to a website I was part of in the early 2000s which was a forum format used to trade live concerts or music on Compact Discs, CDs (anyone remember CDs??). After utilizing the trading resources on here, it became apparent that this site was more powerful and resourceful than just beer trading. Actually, it opened up my whole world. Not for reasons to just try new beer but music, other beverages, peoples own personal interest, culture, and most importantly connection with people. Many great people I met through this website and from around my area and I look forward to meeting many more in the future!!

#9 jts211, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Roy_Hobbs, Amendm, desint and 5 others like this.
  10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,266) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

One time I drove across the state to try one of my grail beers at the time. It was a barrel aged imperial stout with coffee that I'd only heard great things about.

Upon arriving, I was stunned to hear I had just missed the last bottle by a few minutes. Prior to visiting, I had mentioned to several local BA members that I'd be in the area and would be more than happy to share some bottles. Much to my delight, there was someone sitting at the other bar from BA who had ordered the last bottle and saved half of it for me. We proceeded to finish that bottle together and moved on to a notable BA barleywine. It was a blast to get to know this BA member (just the second one I've met, both experiences being great) as we discussed beer, sports, life, and more.

That was you, @Quilentro . Still very appreciative of that moment.

11. Quilentro

Quilentro Disciple (338) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

cheers! Good beer is always better with good company, so thanks for making that trip even better for me by coming around to say hi!

12. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Aspirant (252) Aug 24, 2020 California

1) I have learned a great deal about beer including how to taste and rate it and BA provides a handy way to track my beer ratings
    2) The social aspect enables exchanges of ideas with a really diverse group of members and we seldom spiral down into stupid-ass discussions of political/social issues. When we do descend into those dark places I have sometimes discovered that I still have things in common (beer opinions) with someone who expresses moronic (IMO) points of view about non-beer issues. It reinforces the idea that no one should be judged entirely by their views on any single issue.

13. Hophead

Hophead Initiate (40) Jul 28, 2020 New York

It has helped me decide on purchases of beer that I've never had. Reviews are always subjective but they at least provide some information to help you decide before you spend 20+ bucks.

I try to return the favor as well although I suck as a reviewer. I'm not the best at being descriptive but I'm a picky bast^rd so that counts for something.

14. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Crusader (710) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Wow, good question. I hope my answer can do it justice.
    BA has been a great source of beer related information for me; far superior to any other one site I've been able to find. And the people I've met here have been nothing short of amazing. The patience, kindness, knowledge and generosity of people I've had the great pleasure of interacting with has helped me not only appreciate beer much more, but given me to opportunity to actually try some of the finest beers in the world. Many of which I would never have even known about otherwise. That said, while the beer has been the common denominator, it's been the people, the banter, the friendships that keeps me coming back almost daily.
    Cheers!

monkist, Roy_Hobbs, Amendm and 12 others like this.
  15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,126) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I've been around since about '06, first as @dgordon and now disguised as @rgordon. I came here professionally, as a beer marketer, company owner and life long beer lover. The one main point I would like to make is that I cherish the rapport, intelligence and humor that abounds on these pages. And the humor comes out on top.....Cheers all!

16. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,545) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Back in 2013, BA served as a place to share my evening beer(s) with fellow beer lovers. Provided a sense of community at WBAYDN, but also provided so many opportunities to learn new things about beer. Simply knowing what people like to drink (and why) opens doors to trying new things. Beyond that, I have met several awesome people through BA that share the same passion for beer. Somewhat minor things - it has been an amazing way to track the beers that I have tried and also obtain beer through trades. Simply put, BA makes beer fun!

17. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Meyvn (1,092) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I've been drinking beer for about 50 years.
    I've probably learned more about beer through Beer Advocate than in probably most of my many years of reading about beer.
    I came to BA to learn more about beer and the website and the people on it have helped me do that quite well.
    It's a rare day that I'm not on BA if only for a few minutes at least.
    Looking forward to the day when I can meet some of the people on BA in real life.
    Cheers!

18. BigIronH

BigIronH Devotee (413) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

It’s hard to think where to begin. First and foremost it’s been a resource when deciding what beers I might want to try and places to shop for them. All the forum chat has provided me with invaluable advice from people who are much more experienced than me which is something not always available at your local tap house or beer store. The trading obviously has provided me access to beer I would have no other way of obtaining. The database and logging helps me to keep track of everything I’ve had and allows me to revisit what I’ve liked or ignore what I haven’t liked. At the end of the day, this site has become probably the biggest part of my favorite hobby. Thanks Todd!

19. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (3,235) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

It's made me a much more mindful beer drinker.

Amendm and Whyteboar like this.
  20. pulse

pulse Initiate (47) Mar 22, 2016 Ohio

At the very least, it made me more interested in and appreciative of the craft. Even though I still feel very new to it... reading reviews, seeing all the options, and tracking attempts has been illuminating and I have no idea where I'd be if I hadn't been quietly following along. It's great having a reference for what's going on out there and what to expect from something new... and it does prevent me from, five minutes later, forgetting what I've tried, lol.

21. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Aspirant (232) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Quite positively for sure. BA is not only a well of beer info it is an engine that runs like a champ and vindicates members thoughts, realizations and queries, etc. I'm a newbie here and have yet to peer into all the corners of BA but I'm in no hurry. In fact Beer Advocate's plain and simple awesomeness pulls my arm and makes me want to brew some beer. I truly believe, because I believe in people, that in time through using Beer Advocate I will hook up with members here and there in my travels, learn a lot more about what is what in brewing and gain a lot more respect for the business side of it. That being brick and mortar, distribution, retail, promotion. Who knows?! If it strikes me as a groovy thing I may very well find employment in some way shape or form in our beautiful deep beer world! Thank you Todd for starting Beer Advocate! It is truly a friendly and top shelf group. It has changed my life and I love it. Cheers!

22. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,042) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Stumbled on to this site15+ years ago. It proven a valuable resource, an inspiration & has allowed me to meet some awesome BAs & trade with others. It is a rare day I'm not on this awesome site. I really appreciate the on-line comradeship & has certainly helped with my morale in good times & bad.

Roy_Hobbs, guinness77, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  23. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,303) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My quest to tick the top 250 has consumed my life since I first learned of its existence

24. cid71

cid71 Initiate (118) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Craft beer as a hobby has exceeded other interests I had such as my favorite sports teams. And beer advocate is the best sight for information and communication with quality beer advocates.

Now professionally it's been a detriment cause I spend too much time here instead of doing my job....

Amendm, Whyteboar, russpowell and 2 others like this.
  25. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (494) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I spend all my free time on BA reading reviews and then trading for those beers so I can drink them. BA has become my only source of social interaction, and it truly makes my day when I get a beer trade box with an extra or even a special trinket included (sometimes I get some with pennies and other loose change also). I've made friends with people all over and we stay in touch on Untappd by reading each other's checkins. BA has definitely impacted my life as my sole source of joy and entertainment. I've enjoyed being on the cutting edge of the amazing new smoojie beers and that's all because of BA!

26. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,413) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I've had a fun and (I think) interesting relationship with BA. Been watching ratings and such since 2006, joined in 2010. I was on the retail side of craft beer, as a buyer\marketing person for a supermarket chain (as a side hustle to my IT position). That allowed me to go to many events, be a judge twice for NYIBC, and made me chase the Beers of Fame as a hobby. I then did a career shift that involved travelling. BA gave me recon on where to go; the forums have helped me find good beer in over 30 states. It also raised my awareness to be a real advocate. This means supporting local breweries, talking with those in the industry, and hosting\attending events with friends who share the passion. BA has been a resource for me for 15 years, and made some memorable experiences. I recall vividly asking in the Canada forum where in Halifax to find some representative ESB's, and having folks local to the area meeting me at a gastropub (with BA shirts as well!) And just last weekend I cracked a few of my IPA fest beers with good friends to share and celebrate our first get together in over a year. For me, the feedback from the folks here and the information is what has always kept me coming back.

Amendm, Whyteboar and KentT like this.
  27. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,907) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’ve learned enough knowledge from the fantastic crew and mods and community here my first year that I joined that I found out about the cicerone program and passed the beer server test without studying. All my knowledge came from beer advocate community and trying every style I could. Secondly because of that and the obsession developed by being able to immerse myself into this site daily, it led me to study and pass a course in German culture specifically brewing. I’ve worked in a few breweries and made great friends and the only reason I do not currently work in the beer industry is because of my children I need to work my trade but I still enjoying home brewing sometimes.

I’ve been here for 7 years. Almost twice as long as The longest job I’ve ever had was 4 years as a fireman. So cheers to that

28. micada

micada Defender (669) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

@FrogOut69 You must have traded with @Blutz if pennies were involved!

Whyteboar and meliscious like this.
  29. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (294) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

A few extra lb’s to keep off

melon became a liquid

Nate’s a wizard

adjuncts are cool!

fuck adjuncts!

hazy beer is a never ending debate

I found EBF and it tried to kill me

and tried to convince me JC is a millionaire

Realigned my view on New England and geography

but the worst....it took away my first BA name!

30. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,263) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Better beer.
    More "hits", fewer "misses" .
    For better or worse, that has led to more beer . :thinking_face::sunglasses:

31. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,999) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Learned of BA at a Belgian Beer Fest 18 years ago, from the beerguy at my local beer store. The brewpub that hosted the fest doesnt exist anymore and the dude isnt the beerguy at my store any more, but we are still friends.
    Also met a brewer at that fest, found him here on BA and started chatting, we became good friends and I ended up being the best man at his wedding.

Ive met dozens of BAs in real life and almost always been a great experience and adventure. A bunch at GABF at Falling Rock after session meetups, several in CT for CT BA gatherings.
    Some through in person trades.

Used BA as a major tool for organizing in our campaign to legalize growlers in Connecticut in 2005. Be the Change!

I even met up with a guy in Australia for beers during our honeymoon to Sydney!

I have learned a lot about beer.
    I have tried sooo many beers I would never have tried otherwise.
    I spend waaaay too much time on the site each day, but there are so many good people here, it makes it easy to keep coming back.

Thanks @Todd and @Jason for all the years and all the beers!

32. JohnniEMc

JohnniEMc Champion (889) Sep 5, 2015 Pennsylvania

Whyteboar likes this.
  33. Jack_14

Jack_14 Aspirant (215) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

I am sincerely a lover of craft beers (since about 2009 ... when the revolution also overwhelmed my "wine lover" country), I also don't consider myself an expert and I try to have my say only after having thought about the concept, something that after a few beers could be more complicated than can be clearly evaluated.
    With my pencil and my notebook (never been like this in any other context of life, I swear!) I made several themed trips, participated in some important festivals here in Europe, harassed the guys from the breweries for good ...
    I absolutely don't work in the environment, but when I start talking about craft beers I consider it to be one of the most important topics, of the least important ones... therefore maximum respect.
    For years I have been writing reviews with photos and sending them to me by email to have my own database...
    Obviously when this started to get tight I looked for "a community" with which to share information with other passionate people.
    Obviously, it is in this context that I had the first contacts (from unregistered) with Beer Advocate.
    I'm honest, I looked for if there was something similarly structured in my country, where I can talk to people who are perhaps aware of the events of the local scene ...
    At the end of an unsatisfactory research of all this I realized that I always went back to reading reviews and threads on Beer Advocate, until I, who am perhaps the least social person in Italy, registered to any blog or social network (except whatsapp) , I have taken the step of registering.
    I am very happy with all this.
    It is wonderful to read and compare with people who (often) have something to teach or interesting things to say on this exciting topic.
    Also, although in English, I have a database of personal and not very respectable reviews.
    There are obviously many other positive sides not mentioned and others that I may still have to discover ... but for sure the element I want to emphasize is the Passion of speaking in a (often) competent way of this constantly evolving universe such as that of craft beers .

34. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (363) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

When I plan a trip, BA is my first source for finding the best beer centric locales at the point of my destination. There is no better site, in my opinion, that has a more comprehensive, worldwide listing of beer businesses.

35. meliscious

meliscious Initiate (55) Mar 11, 2021 Washington

Happy Anniversary! :beers:

BourbonForBeer likes this.
  36. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Initiate (174) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks! I’ve completed 29 trades in a year, I think that’s pretty good.

Cheers!

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  37. meliscious

OK BA...I’m going to Las Vegas for the first time Sunday. Where to get great beers????
    Lemme know! And yes. I’ll check places too.

38. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (727) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Beer Advocate has been a wealth of information from the beer lovers to the brewing community. Beer has been a staple commodity for thousands of years, it is a interesting website with a lot of people willing to give their opinion(whether accurate or not) Beer is Awesome. Definitely deserves a platform. Moderation(I mean drinking moderation) for the most part is crucial-

Amendm, PapaGoose03 and sulldaddy like this.
  39. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (727) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I heard Able Baker brewing in Downtown Las Vegas has superior beer-

meliscious likes this.
  40. meliscious

(On edit...this is my 100th post on BA. Seems fitting to respond to @Todd )

I moved to the great PNW 4 years ago. Craft beer was available in the state I moved from but wasn’t “in the bones” of the people. Never met anyone who brewed at home.

Since moving to WA, I’ve met dozens of home brewers, drank hundreds of new beers and remembered my love for beer. (Married 25 years and raised my kid and didn’t drink at that time).

Beer flows in the blood here. I came to BA to learn more about styles and service because I was swimming in breweries and brewery terms and beers available.

BA is a wonderful resource.
    BA is an advocate for the rituals and finer points of beer.
    BA is accepting as a community.
    BA is a fun place to hang out - especially with a new beer! Everyone is excited about your beer post. I am excited about other’s beer posts. When I get a new beer...what do I wanna do? Go to BA and brag about it. Lol
    BA is fun!

Thanks everyone and CHEERS!

rbowser, Genuine, gr8ful and 6 others like this.