1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

How heavy is too heavy?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Hubarooski, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Hubarooski

Hubarooski May 15, 2013 Florida

I am trying to decide if I should ship one large heavy box or split the shipment into two smaller/lighter boxes. Is there a general rule of when you should divide boxes based on weight or shipping costs?

2. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Generally speaking, I try not to go over 30 pounds in a box. That might be a little conservative, but it's my personal guideline. (FYI - a 12 bottle shipper is usually ~28lbs)

creepinjeeper and c64person like this.
  3. c64person

c64person Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My rule of thumb is over 30lbs I split it up, less worry about bottles breaking each other, giant ass boxes increase shipping cost, and I don't want to break the FedEx mans back. A case of bombers or singles is all I will ship in one package, and so far it's worked for me.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Depends what is in there. A styro with 12 Bruery bottles, for example, is right about ~40 pounds.

Biggest box I ever received was 62 pounds. Biggest I've ever sent was probably not much more than 40, but I wouldn't hesitate to go higher with a strong enough box that was packed well.

FishPondManager likes this.
  5. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Good point, those suckers are heavy. I just checked my last Bruery shipment, and 12 bottles was 42.8 pounds, so my initial 30lbs is a little conservative if you have a strong box and a shipper.

6. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'd definitely go with whatever a 12-bottle shipper filled with 750's weighs, which seems to be right around 40 lbs.

7. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Apr 27, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

8. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Nov 9, 2011 Illinois

I just go my rule of thumb: if the box is awkward and heavy to carry the more likely it is to be dropped by the delivery guy. I think more than weight, dimensions play a greater roll in this happening....

9. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

With UPS it's all about the size of the box, not the weight. I'm not sure how FedEx does it. So, if I can fit 30lbs in a box that is 16x16x16, it will only cost about $20. As soon as you go over those dimensions, the price basically doubles.

10. amnesia85

amnesia85 Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

about how many .750s can you fit in the 16x16x16? that sounds fantastic. fed ex shipps on weekends however charges by dimensions and weight. usually an arm, sometimes a leg.

11. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Depends how you pack and how thick the walls of your box are. 6-9.

12. amnesia85

amnesia85 Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut

13. whiskey

whiskey Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

When I visited Southern Cal I sent two boxes home with 12 bombers in each, they were about 40-45lbs each. Everything went smooth, about $25 per.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe