Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

How heavy is too heavy?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by Hubarooski, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Hubarooski

I am trying to decide if I should ship one large heavy box or split the shipment into two smaller/lighter boxes. Is there a general rule of when you should divide boxes based on weight or shipping costs?

2. Greenplastic615

Beer Trader

Generally speaking, I try not to go over 30 pounds in a box. That might be a little conservative, but it's my personal guideline. (FYI - a 12 bottle shipper is usually ~28lbs)

creepinjeeper and c64person like this.
  3. c64person

Beer Trader

My rule of thumb is over 30lbs I split it up, less worry about bottles breaking each other, giant ass boxes increase shipping cost, and I don't want to break the FedEx mans back. A case of bombers or singles is all I will ship in one package, and so far it's worked for me.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. cbeer88

Depends what is in there. A styro with 12 Bruery bottles, for example, is right about ~40 pounds.

Biggest box I ever received was 62 pounds. Biggest I've ever sent was probably not much more than 40, but I wouldn't hesitate to go higher with a strong enough box that was packed well.

FishPondManager likes this.
  5. Greenplastic615

Beer Trader

Good point, those suckers are heavy. I just checked my last Bruery shipment, and 12 bottles was 42.8 pounds, so my initial 30lbs is a little conservative if you have a strong box and a shipper.

6. stupac2

Beer Trader

I'd definitely go with whatever a 12-bottle shipper filled with 750's weighs, which seems to be right around 40 lbs.

7. vonnegut21

Beer Trader

8. ChefBergo

I just go my rule of thumb: if the box is awkward and heavy to carry the more likely it is to be dropped by the delivery guy. I think more than weight, dimensions play a greater roll in this happening....

9. HomeBrewed

Beer Trader

With UPS it's all about the size of the box, not the weight. I'm not sure how FedEx does it. So, if I can fit 30lbs in a box that is 16x16x16, it will only cost about $20. As soon as you go over those dimensions, the price basically doubles.

10. amnesia85

about how many .750s can you fit in the 16x16x16? that sounds fantastic. fed ex shipps on weekends however charges by dimensions and weight. usually an arm, sometimes a leg.

11. HomeBrewed

Beer Trader

Depends how you pack and how thick the walls of your box are. 6-9.

12. amnesia85

13. whiskey

Beer Trader

When I visited Southern Cal I sent two boxes home with 12 bombers in each, they were about 40-45lbs each. Everything went smooth, about $25 per.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation

• Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe