How Important Is Mouthfeel To You?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Mar 25, 2014.

?

How Important Is Mouthfeel?

1. Essential

71 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Very Important

156 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Moderate

75 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Doesnt Matter

15 vote(s)
    4.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i have to say ive never had a beer that was made or broke due to the mouthfeel...does anyone feel the same way or if not, what beer was ruined by heaviness/lightness, carbonation, etc....

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

It's very important. I don't want a great beer with a poor mouthfeel.

3. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

I think it's hard to appreciate how mouthfeel affects taste until you have a really shitty one.

4. Ilovelampandbeer

yea i could see that

5. KS1297

I'm mostly thinking of the right amount of carbonation and head though and not so much the thinness or thickness.

6. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Aspirant (240) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

The thin carbonated texture of KBS ruined it for me. I was surprised how much I disliked it. I'll never search it out again. I'd much rather have the thick, oily texture of Founders' Imperial Stout.

Jaycase, rynej23, BingCrosby7 and 4 others like this.
  7. DagenhamDavis

DagenhamDavis Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New York

Had a Switchback Ale cross my path today. The aroma and taste were pretty good but the feel was really watery and threw the whole beer down 2 notches somehow. I usually don't notice it that much but I think KS1297 was right in saying it doesn't really matter until there's a huge discrepancy.

sjjn likes this.
  8. KS1297

Did you then procede to texture your sink drain with the remainder of the afformentioned liquid?

9. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Canada

And the related question: does the word mouthfeel even strike you as weird anymore?

AlienSwineFlu and KS1297 like this.
  10. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,914) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

being an american who grew up drinking Coke and Pepsi et. al., carbonation is key to me. I try to handle beer styles that call for low carbonation appropriately, but generally speaking, I need some carbonation. It makes the brew more drinkable for me.

2. is almost exclusively to stouts, and that is: slickness and lumpiness. Some stouts are slick, some aren't. I'm not a fan of slick, but it seems to be part of the style, at least with the imperials and higher ABV stouts. As for lumpy ... I don't how it's possible, but some milk stouts feel "lumpy" to me. They aren't lumpy. They're liquid. With nothing but liquid in them. But the feel is still somehow lumpy on occasion, and I hate it.

So a brew can be super watery, but if it's carbonated, I'm good. And a stout can feel exactly like a pilsener, but since that means it's not slick or lumpy, I'll love it.

So feel is relatively important to me, but it's important that it fit what I want regardless of style, which is f-ed up and not right, but that's me ...

you asked

11. Ilovelampandbeer

yea thinness and thickness is kind of a weird area to grade in certain styles..ex: stouts vs. porters

12. Ilovelampandbeer

i agree..carbonation is important to me but as far as lumpy..do you have any examples? im sure ive experienced it though..

13. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Poo-Bah (4,034) Sep 24, 2008 California
    Society

I think it's more important than smell and appearance, personally. The site disagrees!

14. sprucetip

sprucetip Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2007 Alaska

not very… but there are times when it matters more than others.

Roxie_B likes this.
  15. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,914) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Yeti is probably the closest thing to it that's easy to find.

The big one around here in Texas is The Temptress by Lakewood. It's like tapioca almost. Left Hand Milk Stout is a little like what I'm feeling but not nearly as much as The Temptress.

"Lumpy" is probably just real, real thick. TenFidy by Oskar Blues is thick. Sierra Nevada Russian Imperial Stout is thick.

16. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (582) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Unless something is just over-carbonated to the point of being "champagne like" it usually doesn't seem to be a huge factor for me.

Providence likes this.
  17. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,272) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Its most important in stouts but what really threw me for a loop was Left Hand Sawtooth Nitro. Its like drinking cask from a bottle and if you didn't know what you were getting into it could ruin that beer.

18. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (182) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

i agree. i attempted to get my feet wet with sours by following a recommendation to try rodenbach grand cru a while ago. While i can't say i didn't like the beer, i will say that the dry "champagne like" mouth feel was a turn off. sofie was a little like that too. i guess i just prefer thicker, wetter beer-like beers than dry, light champagne/cider beers.

lucasj82 likes this.
  19. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (349) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

A french wine maker (Chablis) once told me: "Don't confuse the body, with the mouthfeel."

Although some use these interchangeably, what he was getting at is that more alcohol can stimulate/trick your taste buds into thinking a wine is big, but it may not actually have the weight, richness that some would call big body. Alcohol (and maybe carbonation) don't feel big on your teeth, just your tongue.

20. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (334) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Most session IPAs I feel are ruined by mouthfeel especially All Day IPA. Flavor is damn good, but then finishes watery on the mouth. Luckily Stone stepped up the session IPA game with Go To IPA.

sjjn likes this.
  21. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York

it makes a huge difference because it affects how we perceive tastes. we tend to talk about it as if it's this separate thing, but it seems to me that it's just as influential for our perception of flavors as aroma (or appearance).

22. SedateSix

SedateSix Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2013 North Carolina

I never thought much about it, or really understood it untill recently. I drank primarily stouts all winter, as is tradition. I went to a buddy's house and he offered me a Guinness. It had zero mouth feel. It was malt flavored water. I knew then the importance of mouthfeel. Haha.

23. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,379) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

it's important - for example, I can;t stand when a beer calls itself an imperial stout and the body is a watery mess. Gimme that thickness and robustness that I associate with a big beer that calls itself imperial.

Roxie_B likes this.
  24. maDUECEgunner

maDUECEgunner Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Minnesota

It is pretty important. I don't like my stouts watery. Same with beers that suffered loss of carbonation. It was really disappointing opening up my Cuvee de Tomme, to not see a single bubble.

25. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I used to think it wasn't that big of a deal.....until I tried my first bottle of BCBS. Now I'm always thinking about how "full" the beer's mouthfeel is.

26. bocky24

bocky24 Initiate (193) Apr 10, 2013 Iowa

It's important, especially in a stout. I do not care for the thin stout, I want thick and viscous!

27. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Mouthfeel is pretty important. it can really make a beer sensational. I mean there's sixpoint Resin. It has a similar taste to a bunch of other IPA's BUT it also has a terrific mouthfeel That bit of smooth caramel that has a bit of thickness and weight behind it but not too much, that little bit of stickiness, it finishes the beer and makes it fabulous.

BradenMK and Ilovelampandbeer like this.
  28. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,155) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

I agree, MF can be very important, especially when it is below average.

When will I be able to search all my reviews/ratings to see those beers I rated highly just for MF? That would be cool.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  29. Growlerguzzler

Growlerguzzler Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 New York

I have had a few where the mouth feel wasn't great, but the nose and taste is what I focus on.

30. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (840) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Option E.

I'm still trying to figure out what mouthfeel is. They all feel like liquid in my mouth. When I review, I focus on the finish when describing mouth feel...clean, dry, sweet, excessively bitter, etc. I can't say I've ever really noticed a difference in texture while the beer was in my mouth. Of course, I drink 99% pales and shy away from stouts and porters so that could be why.

kerry4porters likes this.
  31. kgncfl

kgncfl Aspirant (203) Dec 24, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Curious to a few examples where you have had a great beer destroyed by the mouthfeel?

32. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 Kentucky

I think mouthfeel is what separates beers I like from beers I love. I am not the biggest fan of porters, and I have come to realize that its not for the flavor. A good porter is something I enjoy don't get me wrong, but I would just rather have a stout. I want the thickest creamiest almost-drined-it-from-my-engine stout that I can get my hands on.

MrWilliams and beastmammoth like this.
  33. Ilovelampandbeer

great point actually...had a guinness for lack of better options at a local bar while pregaming a couple months ago...took 2 sips and said no thank you...granted it also tasted bland, but i did notice how thin and watery it was and i couldnt deal with it

Tut and fleurdelou like this.
  34. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I agree!
    Really good stuff here my man.

35. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

Mouthfeel is like the bass player in a band. If it's good it supports the whole experience, but you only really notice it when it's bad.

36. JG-90

JG-90 Devotee (409) Nov 29, 2012 New Jersey

To me it is very important. I think a lot of average to good beers can have average to good mouthfeel, but a great beer truly does need a great mouthfeel. A poor mouthfeel can easily ruin what would otherwise be a good beer.

So it's important, especially if it is at the good or bad end of the spectrum.

For me a great (D)IPA has a chewy and creamy feel, for me a great stout has a heavy body and low carbonation.

utopiajane likes this.
  37. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,694) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Very important -- depends on the style, of course. A heavy porter I don't think of as a good thing, but a heavy stout is what I look for.

It definitely comes in to play when I'm deciding what to drink for the activity I'm doing.

utopiajane likes this.
  38. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New York

This is pretty close to how I feel. Mouthfeel is important for moreishness... a great mouthfeel makes for a beer you can drink all night. And I think it separates out the very best beers. When I think of all the most memorable, enjoyable beers I've ever had they all have an extremely soft, (yet full) feel. I'm thinking like HF Edward, Bridge and Tunnel Slaughterhouse whatever and Sixpoint Mild

ThirstySavage and fleurdelou like this.
  39. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I never understood why anyone would care about mouthfeel until Hopslam showed me why it's important... still, only moderately important - but before, it would have been a 'doesn't matter'.

40. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (233) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I do think the right amount of carbonation is important for a beer, and I think we can all agree that a flat beer is not a beer at all... But having a little less or a little more carbonation doesn't really sway my opinion of a brew. In my opinion I don't think it takes away from the overall character of the beer but who knows... But having a thin stout is a different story entirely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.