How is King Henry drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

Well, it appears the King has finally arrived at his vacation house located in the corner of my room in my beer cellar. Seeing as how I am 2 years late to the party and have never cracked a crown off an Ol King Henry, has anyone had one recently to see if could get a little bit better with time on it, or it should be drunk RIGHT MEOW?

Thanks brohs and brahs

Cheers!

2. whiskey

whiskey Disciple (308) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Trader

It's fallen WAY off...send it to me and I'll drain pour it for you. No need to thank me.

3. M1A2

M1A2 Disciple (327) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Drink now and enjoy you wont regret it IMO!!!!

4. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I'd drink it now but then again I've had it a few times and have 2 in the basement still.

edit: I would say it isn't going to get any better, hence drink it now.

5. ironchefmiyagi13

Whew, that's such a relief! I was afraid that shelf turd was going to stink up the rest of my cooler ;-)

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Well it's already aged two year now so how long do you want to hold, fondle, and look at it before popping the top?

Rion likes this.
  7. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota

Had one last week with friends and it was tasting mellow and smooth! :slight_smile:

8. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

Its really in that zone where previous storage means a lot. I had one 6 months ago that was stored intelligently that was sublime. I had one 3 months ago that was probably stored terribly and it was an oxidized mess.

Tony412, Ungertaker and atoulouk like this.
  9. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

The correct answer is he isn't because he is dead:wink:

jfmamj and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  10. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (450) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I think it's more complex than that.

11. errantnight

errantnight Savant (970) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Trader

While humorous this ignores all sorts of other reasons why reviewers give poor/inaccurate reviews and it also serves as a quick, mindless dismissal to actually think about and evaluate beers by automatically assigning ulterior motives.

Besides, you missed one.

8.)The reviews has multiples in the cellar, has had one recently, but the beer does not have any particular trade value and they're stuck with whatever they have left.

12. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i had KH three times last year. it was delicious all three times. have not had it since. i would personally say drink now, or at least soon.

13. ironchefmiyagi13

Thank you all for your comments. Labor Day weekend coming is the busiest time in the restaurant business, so I think I will crack it open to celebrate the end of a successful summer :-)

Bluecane likes this.
  14. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Had once, loved it, probably will never have again. Would suggest drinking now but I also think it could age more. Certainly not going to fall off anytime soon. Probably ages as well as BCBS.

15. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Always worth drinking sooner than later if you only have one - unless there's been unanimous feedback that it's not ready. But that's very uncommon, much more uncommon than this forum would lead you to believe.

16. JmH

JmH Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Illinois

you could get hit by a bus tomorrow

yolo, bro

17. chronie

chronie Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Illinois

I have one about every six months. I thought it tasted the best right around Nov 2011 (right when it was released). It's still very good now, more smooth and less bourbon bite.

18. Rasputin

Rasputin Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2004 Illinois

I just had one last week, it was fantastic. If you've not tried it before, I say to ahead and drink the one you have.

19. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Have had pours from four bottles. Fresh was the best, the second time was second best, the third time was third best, and the most recent time (two months ago) was fourth best. Good on all occasions, but best fresh.

20. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Trade it for a better beer like Bligh's.

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

You have a Bligh's? :slight_smile:

22. iadler

iadler Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2009 Illinois

Personally, I thought it was best fresh. I have had a couple bottles in the last year and while it's still really tasty, it's not going to get any better. Drink up!

23. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (572) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota

We had one last week.

As soon as I took one smell, I knew I was in for something epic.
    Best barleywine I've had to date...by a long shot.

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  24. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

Quick question here...
    Got offered a BT and melange 3 for the king, should i take it???

25. atoulouk

atoulouk Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2011 Indiana

I would not, but I've had all 3 and KH is the best of the 3 beers IMO. If you've had KH and want to try the other 2 its not an unfair deal IMO.

26. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

What if it was BT and Fruet, ive had a miniscule tasting of king henry but it was eons ago.

Thx for the response!

27. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Aspirant (227) Nov 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

It had eluded me so far, hopefully I'll get lucky some day!

28. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (337) May 5, 2013 Minnesota

I have never had it fresh. We split one four ways a couple of weeks ago and it was the best barlywine I gave ever had. It was amazingly smooth. I do gave a 2011 MOAS in the cellar but it can't be that good.

29. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

yes it could...

seriously though im not a huge barlywine fan but after having a 2012 MOAS's I liked it just as much as king henry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.