How long does it take to develop a palate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChristopherProvost, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,926) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

This has to have said by now (tl;dr) but your palate doesn't develop and then stop, it's on-going. You had a palate before you got into beer, and as you exposed it to beer, it got better at recognizing the flavors and aromas of beer products. The more beer products you have, the more frames of reference you have and the more your palate develops.

ChristopherProvost likes this.
  2. dougmeredith

dougmeredith Initiate (52) Jul 26, 2013 Canada

Worry not, original poster! Give it some time, and you will be able to write pretentious beer reviews with the best of them.

OR

Try different beers, figure out which ones you like the most, and drink more of that kind. :slight_smile: If you feel inclined to write a review, simply write the things that are meaningful to you. Don't feel pressured to match anyone else's flowery language. Most importantly, never ever say "pallet" except as a snide way of making fun of people who are serious when they use the word.

ChristopherProvost and sdm9465 like this.
  3. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Picking up baby diper is pretty easy

Urk1127 likes this.
  4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,389) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Like others said you already have one. Its just the words you use to describe it. Tastes can change obviously and some are acquired. The first IPA i ever had i hated it and i remember i thought it was floral a like perfume. But after many IPAs i can pick out other things. So to me its part vocabulary, part acquired taste.

5. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Let me just say that all you naysayers are "grumpy" to say the least. Recently I tried tasting a wine and my first experiences with beer came to the fore front of my mind immediately. I read the winemakers notes, looked at the glass and headed to the internet. I found lots of reviews, all were filled with plenty of words. I came away thinking this. All those people that searched for the words to end up where the winemaker put his words may not be wrong in and of themselves. Pear or apple? I think that everyone who has compunction with the words people use to describe beer should understand "clean lager character" and then trapse through the styles that are not lagers.

TongoRad and ChristopherProvost like this.
  6. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (111) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

I swear to God, I almost did this myself! I just smelled it instead.

7. ChristopherProvost

So you literally typed dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, molasses, toast, toffee, dark bread, vanilla, raisin, plum, fig, oak, light herbal, and roast/yeast earthiness by hand in that exact order three consecutive times? That must have been tedious.

8. ChristopherProvost

Believe it or not, I know a lot of words. Some of them are even BIG words. I don't just sit around engaging in rhinotillexis and exungulating.

esimonoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.