How many beers on hand and your storage methods

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Leebo, Feb 13, 2018.

Home beer storage and cellar, most have a few choices and fridge on a regular basis?

1. I only have less than a 6 pack of one beer on hand.

4 vote(s)
  2. I have a vareity of beers, say 2-6 kinds and limited storage

50 vote(s)
  3. I have a large variety of beers, say 5-15 kinds and a fridge just for beer.

59 vote(s)
  4. I have a beer fridge, a cellar, extra storge and say 15-40 kinds of beer on hand

57 vote(s)
  5. I'm a true beer geek, beer fridge, cellar, aging, plus verticals and have more than 50 kinds of beer

65 vote(s)
  1. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (171) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Beers on hand, beer fridge and storage poll. I usually have 10-30 kinds of beer on hand and have a beer fridge and a cellar. Thought that was common here? Say 5- 10 kinds of beer and dedicated beer fridge?
    Roguer likes this.
  2. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (137) Sep 7, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

I don’t really have a cellar, but I have over 150 beers in the house (probably 90 unique, most bombers or 750ml). I have a dedicated mini fridge, a chest freezer with converter so it’s a fridge for homebrew kegs and a few bottles and then the rest is in boxes stored on a bookcase in my 3rd bedroom that no one uses.
    BenHoppy, FBarber and DISKORD like this.
  3. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,600) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I have a beer fridge that is pretty much always full and a cellar with about 250 bottles of various age. Rotate a few from the cellar up to the fridge every time I bring more down.
    Try my best to drink the cellar down, but it seems to continue to grow.
    EMH73, Daveshek28, Hoppedelic and 6 others like this.
  4. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,636) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

Beer fridge in the garage, probably 20-25 different beers in there
    dcall384, pjbear05 and DISKORD like this.
  5. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,186) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey

Mini fridge for beer, currently 7 different beers in it. a bunch of Nugget Nectar plus a 6pack of Ruination and some random singles.

a full fridge that i keep stragglers in plus I have a kegerator for my 2 kegged homebrews
    DISKORD likes this.
  6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Zealot (510) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Beer Trader

Did not vote as the poll is not tuned finely enough.

I currently have about 30 beers on hand, no dedicated beer fridge, and cellar storage. I keep about 10 of them in my normal fridge and the rest in the cellar.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,934) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

My college mini fridge still stays cool, so for the time being I have a mini-fridge dedicated to beer. At any one time, I have somewhere between a half dozen to nearly a couple dozen varieties of cold beer on hand. Just depends if I'm in a new-beer kick (i.e., most often season changes when the mix six shelves get loaded up with the new seasonals, I'll have more variety on hand).

Cellar remains pretty much the same throughout the year. At this point, I estimate I have about 150 bottles down there, about 75 of which are bombers and the other 75 are 4/6 packs aging to generate some verticals in the years to come.

Of course when I decide it's time to move, I'm going to have to whittle my cellar down to a few boxes. I imagine I'll make some pretty good friends to help me get there.
  8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,934) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I was/am kinda curious about how many people do not have a dedicated beer fridge. It just so happens that my mini fridge is still working, but once it kicks the bucket, I doubt I'll pick up another for the sake of beer.

Who knows. Wild things could happen. Maybe I'll just give up buying food for the refrigerator and stick to frozen meals. :stuck_out_tongue:
    EMH73, BWood, Beer_Economicus and 2 others like this.
  9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,337) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

About 40 different beers on hand but as was the case with others, I did not vote since some of them are in the kitchen fridge and most of them are resting quietly in a corner of the basement and there's no beer fridge, even on the horizon.
  10. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (247) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I have 10 or so bottles of lambic that I keep and rotate out of my cellar. I keep anywhere from 4-12 beers in my fridge for immediate consumption. Not huge on holding onto beer or having a ton on hand .
  11. dribblespit

dribblespit Initiate (33) May 21, 2017 North Carolina

Some in the crisper drawer since I don't have anything crisp at the moment.

Some in my closet waiting for their turn in the crisper.

Some still at the store, waiting for me to adopt them.

Frozen Pizza is the best thing to keep in the freezer. Goes with about every beer I drink!
    pjbear05, smi69, scootercrabb and 2 others like this.
  12. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,337) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

There speaks a bachelor. :sunglasses:
    DogbiteWilliams and Harrison8 like this.
  13. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (658) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I use the main fridge to store 3-5 beers to be consumed within the week. In the cellar 6-8 beers at various stages of aging to be consumed whenever. That's it. Nice and easy.
    Beer_Economicus and Leebo like this.
  14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,138) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

My norm is a mixed 6er in the fridge and 10-15 bottles in the cellar.
    Celtics76 likes this.
  15. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (188) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

I voted 2nd to last...I have a large beer fridge with a temp control set at 52 degrees...A small beer fridge I drink from and a bunch of shelving that I keep multiple bottles stashed... Not sure on the total bottles but its probably between 150 and 200.
    Beer_Economicus likes this.
  16. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,944) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Technically, my cellar isn't "on-hand". It's actually in my friends basement, where I have 2 shelves 2 feet deep x 5 feet long full of beer. In my fridge at home I have 32 bottles, cans, crowlers of various styles, not counting the 4th beer of the day I'm currently working on.
    sharpski, utopiajane and LeRose like this.
  17. scream

scream Zealot (512) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Did not vote-I did not fit any choice.

Storage-cellar/unfinished basement that stays about 55°F yr round. I only put beer in the fridge for those who want it cold. My belief is that cold kills/mutes the flavor.

Types-44 types

Qty-105, mostly 12 oz btl. w a few BCS pints and assorted bombers, a few cans-I don't like cans
    utopiajane, DoctorZombies and LeRose like this.
  18. beer_beer

beer_beer Disciple (385) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium Member

Hi there!
    New to your excellent site! I'm into non-alcoholic beers. The middle alternative in the poll fits the best. Have half the (big) fridge reserved for beers. Right now there are only about 15 in total, try to keep them nearer 30. At a time maybe 20 different, usually buy them in pairs.
    LeRose and beertunes like this.
  19. jseit89

jseit89 Initiate (118) Jan 10, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Probably because I am obsessive, but I have a beer fridge in the apt, a beer cellar at my parent's (where I keep most the verticals) and beer stored in the normal fridge as well as some spare tavour boxes : /. All in total probably cellaring ~ 100.
  20. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,282) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

I'm not sure that the 4th option fits, but that's how I voted.

I have a beer fridge for regular drinking - about 1 to 2 cases at all times, 6 to 8 styles. The stock comes and goes with my moods.

Then there's a case and a half of cellar beers, mostly high gravity stuff, with some brett beers in there as well.
  21. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Aspirant (247) Nov 23, 2008 New York

I selected #3 because it's closest to my situation, but I'm really somewhere between #2 and #3 – only because I have to share my small beer fridge with some grocery staples like milk, orange juice and produce. :rolling_eyes: 10-20 beers in the fridge at any given time (mostly hoppy stuff).
    I usually have 50-75 bottles/cans on hand, ≥90% of which are for short-term drinking, with the rest being cellared. I usually have ~10 different styles on-hand. Here's my current inventory, minus cellared holdovers.
    #21 SudsDoctor, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,844) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

I have 30+ kinds of beer, 200+ beers, mostly bottles, and mostly BA Stouts. Most of these are in my cellar, in two locations - outgrew the first shelf, and a tub of bombers. Also keep a mixed-six and a six of bombers in the kitchen pantry. I don't have a dedicated beer fridge but keep 10-12 different beers in our main fridge for a variety of choices. I buy more than I drink, so I need to start drinking more or buying less. Tough choice. :wink:
    Peterock27 and spelingchampeon like this.
  23. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,259) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

I have over 100 bottles last I checked that I am aging or just storing. Unfortunately they are only in shipping boxes buried in a closet. Thankfully the closet is cool, constant, and dark in addition to the boxes protecting and covering them up. Recently had a 5yr vertical of Fremont Abominable/B-Bomb from 2013-2017 that was pretty freaking awesome.
    sharpski, Peterock27 and GOBLIN like this.
  24. InfiniteJester23

InfiniteJester23 Initiate (152) Apr 26, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Where's the option for "I have more than 50 types of beer, but my storage is completely lacking so there are just boxes in every cool, dark nook & cranny of the apartment?"
    sharpski, Leebo, Joehio and 1 other person like this.
  25. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (412) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Voted appropriately... 2 6ers in the fridge, a little less than 2 cases in my cellar (read: 2 cases sitting on top of my office desk in the left hand corner)
  26. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,255) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

I am a bad BA...have a wide variety of beer styles except for IPAs. There are several stashes. On an antique sideboard in the dining room there is a collection of bombers, mostly stouts, some sours, some saisons and wild ales. Eyeball guess is 50-is bottles. In the small pantry there are several six and four packs of things like Backwoods Bastard, and a bunch of Allagash coolship type beers. In the big pantry cabinet, catchall of oddball bottle sizes and beers. Probably another 50 total. The house temp is 64 - 65 F...Light isn't an issue. I am sure I have dodged a few bullets in terms of older beers remaining drinkable. Still have Pretty Things. Otto in Oak that is three or more years old. Bitches Brew in a bomber. First batch of Mystic 3 Cranes and I think they just bottled year 8...

I, too, buy more than I drink. Must....restore......balance :flushed:
  27. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (341) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I shop for beer the way I shop for food which is frequent trips to the market for what's needed on a roughly day to day basis combined with a bigger trip every week or so to stock up on staples. Yes, we don't have kids so that's why we can manage that approach :slight_smile:

I generally only have 3 or 4 types of beer in the fridge at most but with even a 12 pack and some singles taking up a fair amount of space, I really should invest in a small beer fridge so I don't have to do so much rearranging to make room for leftovers. Things are easier in the fall and winter when the porch can play that role.
    LeRose and TongoRad like this.
  28. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Defender (639) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

No beer fridge, no cellar, so I'm closest to #4.

We have roughly 25-30 beers of various styles in the refrigerator. Most are IPA's. Then there's a box on the shelf with 'on-deck' beers, waiting for the move up to the big leagues.

I have a box in a closet with nothing but stouts (mabye 12-15 total), waiting for that special moment.

note: We have 3 crisper drawers in our fridge. There are roughly 18 beers in the bottom drawer, for when my brother visits. They are Coors Light, and are not allowed to hang out with our beer. :laughing:
  29. flaskman

flaskman Zealot (538) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

I probably have 50 bottles and bombers of high test stouts and barleywines on the bottom shelf in a very dark cool spot in my basement. Perfect for storage and aging.
  30. TongoRad

For me the garage does the double duty when Oktoberfest season rolls around; that's when I'll usually have 4 to 5 cases on hand.
    scootercrabb and meefmoff like this.
  31. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (641) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I voted for #5. I assume by "kinds of beer" you mean different beers, not different styles.

I have a full-sized dedicated beer fridge that is nearly full, a small fridge with about 20-30 bottles (including verticals--anyone want a 4yr vert of Velvet Merkin, lol) that I keep at 55-60 degrees for "cellaring" (my place gets hot), and a mini-fridge on top of that one that holds beers I'm trading or saving for a special occasion. I also have a couple boxes sitting off to the side where I have barrel-aged stuff that I haven't found room for in any of the fridges yet.
  32. meefmoff

Beer Trader

I wonder to what degree beer fridge sales track with the climate. Every year I get sick of having an over-full fridge but just when I'm fed up enough to buy a dedicated beer fridge my porch/your garage comes to the rescue :slight_smile:
    bret717 and TongoRad like this.
  33. TongoRad

I suppose, but the beauty of a beer fridge is in keeping the beer at serving temperature. In that sense the garage is more of a staging area for me, because it's generally between 55-60F that time of year.
    meefmoff likes this.
  34. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (376) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I keep around 10-20 beers in the fridge ready to drink. I have a cellar with around 75 beers and bring a few up to the fridge every week or two. Been trying to drink the cellar down after I had a few gushers and freaked out thinking my whole cellar was ruined.
  35. meefmoff

Beer Trader

You bring up a good point. Just a week or so ago I had to get out of bed at 2:00 AM because I woke up and remembered I hadn't brought the beers back inside on a night the temp was supposed to go below zero F.

I suppose the real story is that I'm too cheap and lazy to go buy another fridge. But I did have a beer fridge when I lived in Arizona, so my laziness can be overridden by the ambient temperature at some point!
    Beer_Economicus and TongoRad like this.
  36. TongoRad

That seems like a lot of work in and of itself, so maybe you're just cheap :wink::sunglasses:.
  37. meefmoff

Beer Trader

No maybe about it. Though I prefer "thrifty" :slight_smile:
    TongoRad likes this.
  38. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,449) May 28, 2015 Arkansas

I have a mini fridge for what I'm going to drink in the next week or two and about 200-250 beers on the storage shelves in the basement.
    TongoRad likes this.
  39. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,406) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Don't fit any of the poll options provided. I usually have between 2-16 beers on-hand (prolly about a dozen heading into the weekend), usually between 1-4 types (IPAs, DIPAs, and imperial stouts being most common), and have no special storage space other than our refrigerator.
    ManapuaMan and utopiajane like this.
  40. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Zealot (516) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Fridge with an adjustable temperature. Usually stay pretty close to 40 different beers. (90% stouts) Plus or minus a couple depending on releases. Don't really age or hold on to anything tho, I drink it.