How many beers on hand and your storage methods

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Leebo, Feb 13, 2018.

?

Home beer storage and cellar, most have a few choices and fridge on a regular basis?

1. I only have less than a 6 pack of one beer on hand.

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. I have a vareity of beers, say 2-6 kinds and limited storage

50 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. I have a large variety of beers, say 5-15 kinds and a fridge just for beer.

59 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I have a beer fridge, a cellar, extra storge and say 15-40 kinds of beer on hand

57 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. I'm a true beer geek, beer fridge, cellar, aging, plus verticals and have more than 50 kinds of beer

66 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Disciple (304) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I have about 25 cans on hand in a beer fridge. I drink one or two beers a day, rotate around freshness so no beer is older than a month. Some of those are to trade as well.

I have about 100 bottles of various stouts, etc that I have on shelves in the basement aging. It's cool in the basement so no issues.

2. Scotboy

Scotboy Initiate (108) Jul 1, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I moved 350 mostly bombers to Atlanta. Quickly realized I had no cool place to store them, so had 2 parties where i forbid anyone to bring anything. Sold 50 to noob at work wanting to get in to craft. Down to 180. Garage sale fridge for $35 saved the day. You'll never drink em down, have to sell or give away.

3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,500) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Usually 20 or so beers on hand; plus, I've been gifted access to my parents' wine cellar. It's off-site (which is good for my poor impulse control) with over 50 beers aging in a controlled environment.

Spreadsheet maintained for a "release" schedule to bring them back to my place.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (725) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Is too many an option?

My storage method is to keep as few in the kitchen fridge as possible to keep my wife happy. The rest are in another fridge and various cool locations that my wife rarely frequents.

I find it hard to get the cellar down below 60-75 bottles. There always seems to be a release that I ‘can’t live without’ or a beer my trading partners want me to get for them.

I’d like to have no more than 6 I’m the fridge and no more than 15 cellared. One day perhaps...

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,910) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

I'm shocked that my wife hasn't complained that I take up most of the tallest shelf in our fridge, plus other spots for bombers laying down, and occasional growlers in the door. Not that it would do any good, but I would feel a little guilty. :innocent:

6. scootercrabb

scootercrabb Disciple (392) May 2, 2007 Illinois

I got a beer fridge about 30 or 40 beers of assorted style and a about 10 cellar in my basement and a few in the kitchen fridge for quick access.

7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,306) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

My wife made me buy a mini fridge so Id get my beer out of the main fridge - I just got a small fridge around August when they were all on sale.

TongoRad, bbtkd, Coronaeus and 2 others like this.
  8. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (555) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Usually have both an IPA & lager on hand in the regular fridge. Maybe sprinkle in some pumpkin ale in the fall & every so often a stout. Everything’s there to be drank in the near future.

9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,861) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

I have a metric crap ton of beers on hand. They take up every square inch of space in my house that isn't already occupied by wine, spirits, and glassware. My fridge is my beer fridge, and the crispers are so full of beer that I have no room for vegetables. I am a TLC reality show just waiting to happen.

BTW, I voted "true geek" since there was no "pathetic bastard" option.

Greenstone, LeRose, Leebo and 9 others like this.
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,910) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

That's something that should have been in the poll - glassware. I take up a small shelf and most of a big shelf of kitchen cabinet space, plus spares in boxes downstairs. And I use my Snörkel glass 95% of the time.

papposilenus, TrojanRB and dcotom like this.
  11. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,792) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I have a beer fridge that has about 28 different beers in it, mostly beers I age. I also have a cellar with about four cases of beers in it, close to a hundred bottles. I usually keep my daily drinking beers in the beer fridge and I don't have extra storage.

VABA, dcotom, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  12. Psilocybeer

Psilocybeer Aspirant (206) Jul 11, 2017 California

Usually 12-15 in the food fridge, about 20 in a closet either aging or holding for the right time, and another 12-15 on deck, waiting to go into the fridge. I'm trying to keep less around and drink it all fresher, except for a few big stouts I want to age. So right now the on-deck number is 3, but I'm going shopping tomorrow.

utopiajane likes this.
  13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,036) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Should I legally agree to share my finances with someone, and she demands I need to keep my beer in another fridge, we both may just find ourselves with a full size fridge in the basement.

But, perhaps it's sentiments like that that keep me from legally sharing my retirement plan. And beer space. :grin:

Whenever I move out, I would highly consider getting a small fridge for beer. Especially around August when college students have their parents buy them fridges for "leftovers" and stores entice them with discounts.

bbtkd and FBarber like this.
  14. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (747) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium Member

A beer fridge or cellar is fairly common among BAs. Had poll a few years ago on bottle count. You would be surprised on the levels some people store.

In my case I'm currently at about 90+ bottles, mostly BA stouts, strong ales, wheat wines, etc., but I always keep some IPAs, sours, and other various lower ABV styles on hand. I have one beer fridge at cellar termp., keep some bottles in the regular fridge beer ( to slow aging or that do better at a lower serving temp ), and some in an unheated room that is at cellar temp in the winter and room temp in the summer.

15. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,286) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I don't have a beer fridge, but I took a cellar census last month. I've got about 350 cans and bottles altogether--according to my Gots list, it's roughly 150 distinct beers.

The disparity between those numbers is from having some verticals of 3 or more years (Abyss, The Dissident, Stickee Monkee, Behemoth, w00tstout, and Jewbelation); some older 4-packs of stuff being intentionally aged like Black Note, Backwoods Bastard, 120 Minute IPA, and World Wide Stout; and a good quantity of CW BBA Stout and Scotch Ale, and Olde Hickory Imperial Stout and Irish Walker as reliable standbys. The most recent infusion of numbers was from Revolution's BA releases in December and January (R.I.P. wallet).

Harrison8 likes this.
  16. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (194) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

"you have way too much beer"-wife

17. Iluvink

Iluvink Initiate (160) Aug 21, 2008 Texas

I have a dedicated fridge. Have about 10 different types at any given time. No cellar, everything get put into the fridge. Little or no singles. Mostly 4 or 6 packs, or pieces of those.

18. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,279) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I have a mini-fridge for just beer--mostly hoppy and lower-abv stuff to drink fresh/regularly--and a closet that functions as a cellar to age and store my stouts, barleywines, and barrel-aged stuff.

utopiajane likes this.
  19. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,131) Jul 27, 2013 California

I’ve got a mini-fridge that’s exclusively for beer, and then a 250 bottle wine fridge that’s probably 150 wine / 100 beer.

The mini fridge is for my “flavor of the week” and daily drinkers (SNPA, Pivo Pils, etc...). Cellar is mostly Firestone Walker and Bruery that I’m aging.

Plus a kegerator for my home brew, or local 5 gallon kegs

20. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,131) Jul 27, 2013 California

You can never have too much beer....but I certainly have too much glassware.

papposilenus and bbtkd like this.
  21. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Disciple (352) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I've got 25-30 beers in a mini fridge of various styles, mostly stouts. Some dark stuff sitting on top of the mini fridge, and anything for imminent consumption goes in the main fridge.

22. unclekeith

unclekeith Defender (693) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Beer Trader

On vacation right now: 3 in the fridge, 0.5 in a glass

At home: about 180 bottles in crawl space under a previous addition that stays at 55°F year round.

scream likes this.
  23. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (260) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I don't have a lot of space for storing alcohol and what I do have needs to be split between beer, wine and spirits. In my fridge I have, actually no beer at the moment but I few bottles of white wine that I plan on opening within the next couple weeks and a bottle of Offley 10 year old tawny port that I've been nursing for a month or so. Most of what I have is in the top shelf of my pantry. Roughly half of it consists of various spirits (mostly different kinds of whiskey, some rum, bit of tequila, absinthe and some Calvados), then there's the red wine (I don't have a wine fridge but the temp in my house is consistent, so I'll settle for a dark place, not like I'm keeping these for years), been on a bit of an Australian kick, so at the moment I've got a bunch of shiraz. The rest is beer that I don't feel pressured to drink, I've got some Belgian Christmas stuff, I think some Victory Java Cask, some Backwoods Bastard and some Prairie (pirate bomb and pirate noir, I believe)

Cheers

24. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (345) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I read this as: "Everytime a near beer is released, which I keep track of on my calendar, I go buy it and then I go put one of them in the cellar and remove something else in the cellar. [That way there's balance.]"

GuyFawkes likes this.
  25. BWood

BWood Crusader (725) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

At this moment

196 beers total
    89 different beers
    From 20 different breweries

Beers are stored in dedicated beer fridge and the rest share part of my wine cabinet.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  26. joaoM

joaoM Initiate (130) Oct 5, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

No beer fridge, but a cellar. Pretty much only drink Lambic, RIS or Belgium ales, in the rare occasion I get an IPA/Gose/Weisse it goes to the regular fridge and is drunk within a 2/3 days. Most of my beers go from the cellar to the glass. Have no Idea of how many bottles I have but estimate between 150 to 200. I keep most on boxes that are topped when a bottle comes out with random bottles, so I get a bit lost on what I have as well. Makes for good surprises. Some time ago found a 2009 de Cam kriek that was mixed in a 3F box, made my beer day!
    I also have quite some bottle owned together with my tasting group. We get bottles and add to the pool. No clue on what we have whatsoever as I am not the one keeping them. These are mostly exceptional rare lambics or american sours/RIS that we traded for.

darktronica likes this.
  27. papposilenus

papposilenus Crusader (779) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

The vast majority of my beer is strategically positioned at various breweries, bottle shops and taprooms strewn about the New England countryside. This minimizes the chances of any one catastrophic event wiping out my entire supply.

Jbuitron, darktronica, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  28. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (90) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Mini Fridge in dining room. 2-4 rotating 6 packs at a time. I buy what sounds good, and kill the better ones quicker than the mediocre.

FBarber likes this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,410) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I have a chilly cellar. It is chilly year around, with small temp.range, so it is good for nothing much more than cellaring beer. Have about 200 bottles in about 8 styles down there, and about a case of mixed hoppy stuff in the non dedicated beer fridge upstairs. And likely buying more this week.

Oh, and to me cellar temp. is the same as drinking temp. for almost all beers.

LeRose, scream, Leebo and 1 other person like this.
  30. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (25) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

Voted # 3

We have a small beer fridge that currently has 25-30 bottles and cans representing 7 or 8 different beers (Pilsner/IPA/IIPA/Imperial Stout/Porter) and a few BA Stouts in our basement (out of the light).

31. Jmclowell

Jmclowell Disciple (383) Jan 27, 2018 Massachusetts

#71 Jmclowell, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Dan411 and meefmoff like this.
  32. Donco

Donco Devotee (494) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

This thread comes up quite often:slight_smile:
    I have a nice, cool basement with plenty of shelving where my beers reside. Probably about 40 different varieties but far more actual bottles (cases, etc.)....P.S.: Don't tell my wife:smirk:

FBarber likes this.
  33. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (229) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I only drink on the weekends, so I usually only have 1, maybe 2 6 packs in the fridge at at time. I don't have a dedicated beer fridge, and don't really cellar anything except Bigfoot.

I have amassed a large amount of beer over the holidays, as is usually the case with gift cards and trips to visit family resulting in me bringing home more than I can quickly drink. Right now it's cold enough in my garage that it is where I'm storing them. Problem is the pile keeps growing, so I've been taking "care packages" to my father in law so he can share some of it with me.

utopiajane likes this.
  34. darklord2011

darklord2011 Aspirant (236) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Have a full size dedicated beer fridge in the garage. Keep it set at the warmest setting. Probably 25-30 bombers and 25-30 12-16oz cans/bottles at any point in time. Mostly limited release aged BBA stouts, ales and barleywine with a regular rotation of IPA/DIPA for every day drinking.

35. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (510) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I seem to be in a distinct minority here. We do have a garage fridge but it isn't beer exclusive. My taste in beer is impacted by the season. I like to keep 3 to five styles on hand but really have been reducing the actual amount of beer I keep on hand. I am trying to focus on some favorites and on fresh local beers.

Celtics76 likes this.
  36. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Meyvn (1,466) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Premium Member

We have a dedicated fridge that usually has 60-70 beers.
    Mainly IPA, IIPA, Pale Ale, Porter and Stout.
    Glassware and stickers are starting to pile up too.

VABA and utopiajane like this.
  37. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (321) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Over 15 on hand, cellar ,a little verticle , beer snob,,,,,perhaps.

#77 GormBrewhouse, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  38. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,436) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have exactly 6 beers under the sink because it's the coolest spot inthe whole apartment. A chimay red, allagash tripel, one orval, a westmale tripel, Ithaca's 20/20. In the fridge I have 3 measly genesee bocks. I should get more beer.

39. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (283) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't consider myself a "beer geek" by any means but according to the poll, I am. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have traded to get these "big" beers that I wanted so I can drink them, but I get anxiety when I think about drinking it and not having it anymore. I found myself now trading these bigger beers for regional IPAS, etc.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  40. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (178) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Stuck and anxiety? Not for beer. Try this, chill, open beer, pour in glass. Repeat as needed. Have a bottle share/party. Don't get all FOMO, plenty of new beer, made every day and new seasonals all the time.