How much Bourbon County will you buy this fall?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by surfcaster, Jul 16, 2016.

?

How much Bourbon County will you buy this fall?

1. 1. More than I purchased in 2015

56 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. 2. Similar amount to what I purchased in 2015

217 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. 3. Some but less than I purchased in 2015

110 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. 4. None but I did purchase in 2015

59 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. 5. None, I wasn't a patron to begin with

70 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

OK--if you weren't following the 40+ page thread that started as a possible BCBS infection thread and morphed into the Refunds for BCBS and Prop 15 thread, you missed the slowest trainwreck that was hard to look away from. Lots of opinions on woulda/shoulda etc.

So, I have to ask, for those out there-- some mad, some not, let us know, are you buying this fall??

I for one usually get a couple as gifts--might buy one in a store if I run across one but never have sought it out. Not hugely distributed down here. I do really enjoy what I get.

2beerdogs and jrnyc like this.
  2. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,313) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I didn't buy any in 2015, but I might pick up a bottle this year.

VABA and Dando274 like this.
  3. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (473) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I used to just grab a couple 4-packs each year, plus whatever I can get for barleywine or variants, which is hit-or-miss.
    Still gonna try for a few bottles, plus whatever else.
    I didn't have any issues with off bottles last year, so I'm not scared off. I do believe AB-Inbev-Miller-Coors-SAB-Goose that they are committed to good quality.

dprice likes this.
  4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I didn't buy any last year since I won't go through hoops to buy any beer. If I see it on a shelf I will buy a few bottles.

5. Grupatre

Grupatre Aspirant (241) Sep 13, 2014 Michigan

I will never buy a Goose Island product again.....

6. antilite

antilite Initiate (44) Jan 1, 2012 Florida

We all have our risk/reward tolerances. With anticipation being replaced by apprehension, I will take this year off. If it didn't take standing in line for a couple of hours for one bottle, I might feel different.

vurt and 2beerdogs like this.
  7. skleice

skleice Disciple (302) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Might not be popular opinion around here, but I'll try to pick up a case of regular and a couple variants if I can (same as this year). My case was wonderful and was at a great price. Hope I can do it again.

Loops likes this.
  8. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

I'm very new to the craft beer scene and am learning as well as trying a lot different styles. I'm not familiar with this beer but have heard and read a lot about it. Can someone tell me a bit about it and why all the attention it seems to attract?

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

0. I do not buy Inbev products.

10. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (562) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Trader

I'm going to buy my stores allotment at cost and double my money when it comes refund time.

edd562, Hayden34, Badfish and 14 others like this.
  11. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Same as last year-none.
    I do not buy AB/InBev

edd562, vurt, thepenguin and 7 others like this.
  12. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

I have never seen it in stores, but a buddy of mine was able to grab me 2 bottles last year.
    Seems very hard to get here in Rhode Island.

13. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hopefully you get a chance to try it (BCBS) sometime. If you enjoy Barrel Aged stouts you'll likely enjoy it. Notwithstanding the issues Goose Island has had with '15 BCBS (& variants), BCBS is the best BA stout which is nationally distributed and widely available. I say this unequivocally and I don't think there is much of an argument here. Folks might mention Parabola but it certainly does not have the availability of BCBS. That GI is able to produce the amount of BCBS they do at this high quality is impressive imo. Again, there are issues with the 2015 bottles which are detailed in several other threads if you are interested. There will also be many other threads regarding the 2016 release as it approaches (Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving). Likely including one for Kentucky sightings in the regional thread. As widely available BCBS is, it can still be a severe PITA to buy as everyone and their mother are seeking it out. Everyone and their mother is literally true. Anyway you should try it at least once. Cheers.

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I will buy as much of whatever I am allowed to buy without waiting on a line.

15. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

Both my Barley wine and coffee were infected. The regular BCBS was very good although I did not like the rebottling and the subsequent price increase. Still have not opened the reserve or the Heaven Hill Barrel aged. But from my dates and the information put out by Goose Island, mine should be fine. I will probably pick up a bottle each of what's available again this year but I wont go out of my way.

vince4953529 likes this.
  16. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

None. I bought a couple from last year to at least get some, but that was a one time thing (and I got them with no trouble/lines/massive hype, but then again, it's Washington...:sunglasses:)

17. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,057) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

If I happen to see any on the shelves and I have some extra money in my pocket I would probably pull the trigger.

The reason I may come off as lacking empathy for those who purchased Bourbon County is because it's a joke. The people that line up hours in advance, cross state lines and bring mules to buy it kill it for me. I had fun responding to cocky Beer Advocates from Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, New York and bumblefuck Pennsylvania talking about getting in line at places I would consider local. I feel like they are Vultures, they laugh at you when their beer is trading high and cry foul when it tastes sour.

myuncle, jzeilinger, Badfish and 8 others like this.
  18. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (984) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I'll buy it if I see it, but won't go out of my way for it, nor will I stand on a long line for it ( which I have done in the past )

TriggerFingers, Jaycase and TonyLema1 like this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Me too, it's too good. I could care less about In Bev, make a good beer I'll buy, make a bad one I won't. They're corporate so what? It's a free market economy.

20. Jraiona

Jraiona Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Kentucky

Thank you Jay. I have not as yet tried any BA stouts but it is certainly on the list. I do so appreciate the info.

Jaycase likes this.
  21. 98green

98green Meyvn (1,087) Jun 13, 2014 Michigan

Same here. Which has amounted to zero bottles for my career.

beerluvr likes this.
  22. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,057) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

you should just hunt bottles in Goose Isand's "new" markets. They flood the states they just started recently distributing to and ween off established markets.

23. shamrock8387

shamrock8387 Initiate (65) Mar 14, 2015 Michigan

I might buy a bottle or two and definitely no variants. There is enough variety right now of beer that I don't have to stand in line, or hunt for.

Karst32 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

We never get a lot here, maybe you get 4 maybe you won't. It's usually gone asap, I'm say under an hour being generous. Then never to be seen till next year.

cavedave likes this.
  25. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (171) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I will definitely go out and get some. But the main draw for me is other rare beers that a certain store in my town pulls out of the cellar for sale the days of Black Friday and Saturday. Last year I was happy to get 2 2012 Blacknotes and a Terra Incognita along with my 2 BCBS and 2 BCBBW. If it was just the BCBS we were talking about, I'd probably prefer to stay home and sleep in that day.

As an related side question, I've always wondered how people are able to score entire cases of BCBS on release day. Is it just connections? Or stores that don't care about allocations? Or posers with empty boxes? My guess would be all of the above.

antilite likes this.
  26. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,313) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

The shop in my town, that I hardly ever go to because they have a smaller selection than a lot of other places, had BCBS in cases sitting in the spring. They said they got sent a lot of it. I still didn't buy any because it was $15.99 for 16.9 oz., and I had just had the cheaper 2014 version on tap twice in the late summer before the Nov. release. I'm not sure if they still have any, but I would consider getting a bottle since I've only had it on tap and I really liked it. When I have some extra money to blow maybe I can grab it. I do wish they would revert back to 4 packs or at least lower the price a little bit. There are so many other great beers for less than half the price. I don't see how people can line up at 5am in the cold for that price...

VABA and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  27. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,265) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I'll buy a case and then file a lawsuit against GI when I get an infected bottle.

28. 1959lespaul

1959lespaul Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2016 New York

Being that I work in a beer store and I am always reserved one, I always take the one at least. Sometimes it's two, but that's the extent of it.

29. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

I'll get 1-2 each of the variants and 5-6 of reg. I really enjoy this series.

I feel bad for people who recieved infected bottles though. Lucky for me my coffee, barleywine and regular were awesome.

30. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,846) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I'll get a couple of whatever store I go to

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I will buy as much Surly Darkness, KBS, BCBS, and Prairie Pirate Bomb as I can get my hands on - but won't resort to extreme hunting. I got three BCBS, five KBS, and three Pirate BOMB's with little or no effort this last year. This year I have a lead on where to go for BCBS, and hope to land 6-12 bottles. It's not highly available around here, so buying cases is not in the cards. Many liquor stores get one case or less of regular, with no variants here at all.

Premo88 likes this.
  32. babaracas

babaracas Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Florida

Zero. Haven't bothered for a couple of years. The whole faux one-time-release thing followed 2 months later by a glut of overpriced bottles... lame to begin with, then add a multinational with a massively cynical approach to craft beer, a pedio contamination, ...what shitty thing will they do next?

33. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,150) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

my vote = none, wasn't a patron

With BBH swimming around my area like tadpoles in a spring pond, I'm good. In fact, there's been so much good big stout on the shelves in my part of Texas for so long now that I'm all fulled up for the winter.

chrismann65 and cavedave like this.
  34. taplebr

taplebr Aspirant (263) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Trader

Based on all these respones, maybe I'll actually score a variant this year... who am I kidding, I doubt Arkansas will receive any variants. Seriously though, the odds they screw up 2016 are slim to none so I'll buy whatever I can without standing in ridiculous lines.

sybian and Premo88 like this.
  35. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Same as this past year. One bottle regular. Drink it the day I buy it.

I loved it for a long time but the price increase a couple years back (bought none)and the root beer style single bottles after trending in the correct 4 pack direction killed the whole thing for me. So I will buy my one $8ish dollar bottle and spend the rest of my beer money on breweries who trend towards being consumer friendly.

36. LongBallLarry

LongBallLarry Initiate (25) Feb 7, 2016 California

1 bottle if I can pick it up at Whole Foods like last year. There's no urgency however because I prefer dozens of other stouts over BCBS.

Premo88 likes this.
  37. Czarkazm

Czarkazm Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2015 New York

I'm still on strike since the change in format and price increase last year. Present it to me in the 4 pack again or ~$7/16.9oz. bottle, I'm game. Until then, I'll have to enjoy the few 12 ouncers I still have on hand

jbck109 and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  38. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

I only bought two bottles last year. Now that I'm more into stouts and barrel aged stuff I will for sure be picking up more.

39. CMiesen

CMiesen Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 California

I will drink it on tap when it is on tap at my favorite beer place in town won't bother buying a bottle. I don't go through the trouble of waiting in lines and hunting down beers.

40. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Good point - turned out to be several opportunities to have BCBS on tap over the winter, which removes some of the urgency in finding bottles. I'll get some if I can easily get them, but won't hunt. I ended up not opening the bottles until there were reports of infection.

Daveshek28 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.