Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

How much do you care about drinking at the right temperature ?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (271) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Do you go anal over it or is it not a big deal ? For example, I got some Pumking and it says to drink it at 40 degrees F and to be honest I have no idea what the temp is gonna be when I drink it. All I know is that since its a pumpkin beer it should not be ice cold and should be warmed up a bit.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. TheBeerBelly-Albany

TheBeerBelly-Albany Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 New York

Cold beer is good.i don't care.i know certain beers are supposed to be drank at certain temps and all but I like them all cold.let them warm in the glass as you drink them.

FrancisT, nc41, Cubatobaco and 4 others like this.
  3. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,238) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Depends on the beer and how much I value it.

frazbri and TheGator321 like this.
  4. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (101) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I always drink my beers straight out of the fridge. However, I drink pretty slowly and am able to enjoy the changes in the aroma/flavor as a result.

FrancisT, kyle86, Kyrojack and 4 others like this.
  5. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

I actually care quite a bit, but not in the normal way. I like to open a beer when cold and let it warm over time so I can get a sense of how the beer performs for my palate at different temps. That way, when I have it again, I know what temp I prefer it.

Perfect example is The Bruery's Saison Rue. I found it to be a bit of a boozy mess when cold, but when it reached cellar temp, holy crap was it delicious.

6. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,505) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

I'm the same way. I almost always like the beer to start out a little colder than the brewer recommends and sip it as it slowly warms to room temperature. Not only does it let you decide what temperatures you prefer specific styles at (as you pointed out), I feel it also allows you to experience more of the flavor profile of each beer. Sometimes subtle little flavors can kind of hide from you underneath malty sweetness or hoppy bitterness
    (unless the temperature is just right :wink: ).

7. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I always try to drink it at the correct temp, give or take a few degrees.

I will not drink a 10% RIS freezing cold. I would be missing out on all the subtle flavors. you would be wrong for doing this. fact. THIS IS BEER ADVOCACY 101.

If you prefer drinking all beer ice cold, maybe you should go back to bud/miller/coors.

belvedere86 and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I don't care how cold you serve me a beer because I can always wait for it to reach the temperature I desire. I'd rather they focus on clean glassware and tap lines.

TheGator321, nc41, Schwantz and 2 others like this.
  9. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Meh. If it's too cold, it'll warm up soon enough.

10. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,010) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Little harsh....

11. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

I use an infrared thermometer to check. It's greatly increased my enjoyment of life.

12. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,238) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

13. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

For me, no beer should be ice cold. When I review beers, I usually pour, rate the appearance and smell, and then let it warm up a bit before I describe the flavor. Most beers are best between 40 - 55 degrees I think, although I've never measured temperatures of my own. A lot of beers taste fine at room temperature too, although some don't.

14. rather

rather Aspirant (261) May 31, 2013 California

I care but dont have a thermometer. depending on style let it warm as I drink it.

problem I do have is a pub I frequent freezes the glasses so I'll ask for non chilled one

15. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,389) Jun 11, 2013 New York

There are some beers that really benefit from a few degrees warm up and some that when they get too warm just lose all their appeal. For me a porter or a stout has to have a little time to develop. If you start with it out of the fridge and just reserve judgement fora few sips you will see what I mean. Some ipa's become a catty and sour mess when they pass their drinking temp. My two cases in point are plum noir and flower power. Plum noir becomes it's best with a few degrees warm up and smooths out so nicely. Sweetness just right and all the flavors really take hold of one another. Flower power becomes a sour glass of near cat piss when it's too warm.

16. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

At some point the beer will be the right temp, then it will get too warm...I don't pay much attention to it. If I feel like I am missing something when it is cold, it will warm up to a good temp eventually.

17. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I drank a 10% IRS straight out of the fridge not that long ago, it tasted great.

Eriktheipaman and tommyguz like this.
  18. audioserf

audioserf Aspirant (253) Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

+1

19. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

i bet you drink old ipa's too.

belvedere86 and bramsdell like this.
  20. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Defender (630) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Subscriber

I always have a bit of a giggle at that 'cat piss' description. I don't get that from beer, but it's still funny.
    Skunk I do get... :wink:

utopiajane likes this.
  21. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (637) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I have been trying to train myself to wait before drinking a beer straight out of the fridge. I have experienced the difference between drinking cold and letting the beer warm up a bit and much prefer the warmed up version. The only time I have trouble waiting is for the first one on Friday evening - I only drink on weekends so the anticipation builds during the week. After the first one goes down, I have had my fix and can wait a bit.

22. LCB_Hostage

LCB_Hostage Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

I totally agree with this. I typically like to finish PAs, IPAs and even pilsners when they're still reasonably cold. Anything maltier, I can enjoy as it warms. I use this knowledge when I'm pulling a beer from my fridge. If I'm planning to sit and sip for a while, I'll reach for a porter or stout. If I know it's not going to last that long, an IPA it is.

FriarTuckInLuck and utopiajane like this.
  23. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,751) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I take it into consideration, but I don't get upset. I like an IPA to be good and cold, probably colder than most. Belgians, by contrast, I'll try to get in the recommended range - somewhere between refrigerator-cold and room-temperature-warm - and enjoy the entire flavor development from cold to lukewarm.

But it's not like I'm going to turn up my nose at that BSDA just because it's at 40, or 65, degrees.

24. roger617

roger617 Disciple (357) Jun 1, 2013 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I don't really care about how cold the beer is, but please do not pour into a frozen glass. If the beer is too cold for the style, I can be patient and sip it 'til it is just right. Most of the time when this happens, it's some barrel aged something or other, that I would typically just sip anyways.

25. NotSweetiePie

NotSweetiePie Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 California

I don't care too much. I get home from work late and don't have a whole lot of time for my beer to chill before I start feeling it's too late to drink. Twenty minutes in the freezer and then twenty minutes in the fridge gives it a solid chill that seems to work for most beer.

26. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

If you prefer telling other people how to drink their beverages, maybe you should go back to the kids table.

Personally, I like to take big stouts out of the fridge and give the bottle about 20 minutes on the counter before I pour. Maybe less if it's something that I'll be sipping on for 45+ minutes. Porters I may give a few minutes of the same treatment, but otherwise I just pour straight from a refrigerated bottle and let it warm up a bit in the glass.

27. nogophers

nogophers Aspirant (255) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

Someone should invent a can that actually shows when it becomes "super cold". The color should maybe be silver and have pictures of mountains or something.

Roguer, MikeWard and Givemebeer like this.
  28. The_Feebler_Elf

The_Feebler_Elf Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2013 California

With most styles, not much. It's not like beer stays in the magic temperature zone for long, and I enjoy experiencing the different flavors as it warms. I make exceptions now and again for big stouts and certain malty beers, and let the bottle sit out for a bit before pouring, but I don't twist up my panties about it.

29. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (373) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I don't get super crazy about it but New Belgium Rolle Bolle tastes way better really cold and Schlafly Pumpkin tastes the best after sitting for an hour and a half so it depends on the beer for me.

30. tommyguz

Beer Trader

Liar. maybe you should....
    ha...

31. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

This bro is trolling HARD

tommyguz likes this.
  32. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I care about temp but not enough to measure it or anything. I'll take the big boozy stuff out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes before pouring it

33. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

get that room temp son

34. BrownNut

BrownNut Devotee (423) Jul 11, 2011 Florida

I like to aim for something around the recommended temp just to see if it makes a difference. I also like to let it get to room temp or close to it just to see what happens. It can be interesting to see what changes. Often it's for the better, sometimes it's not. Sometimes I'll get the chilled glass at the pub instead of a room temp glass just to see if I notice a difference in how much I can taste it. In general if I've got an imperial stout or barleywine or something, I'll sit it outside the fridge for a bit before opening it, but I don't sit there with a thermometer.

35. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (206) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

I try to drink all my beers just slightly chilled, the flavors pop out more that way and well, it simply tastes better to me. Exceptions are when I'm outside on a hot summer afternoon under the Italian sun, then I want my pilsners and helles lagers COLD.

36. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I drink most beers colder than recommended and very few at cellar temp. Apart from some Goose Island Cherry and Westy 12, everything else is refrigerated. I let stouts/porters sit for 15 minutes, everything else is fridge to glass.

37. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Call me amateur, but I enjoy drinking all my beers when they are at their coldest -- even imperial stouts. There is something about drinking a warm/lukewarm/room temperature beer that I cannot wrap my head around.

Dracarys likes this.
  38. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,470) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Drink old IPA's what? :astonished:

Personally, I care enough to pay attention to what temperature a beer I'm drinking is at and how I like it compared to it's temperature from 15 minutes ago, but I don't go out of my way to let a new bottle sit out on the counter to warm, nor do I try super hard to drink a bottle straight out of the fridge.

My only regret is when I let a beer warm up a little too far and it becomes past it's ideal temperature. Then I have to decide whether to choke it down or put it back in the fridge for a little bit only to get a flat beer later on.

TheGator321 likes this.
  39. tommyguz

Beer Trader

Providence I will answer this for you:

Only if its FREEZING COLD!

Providence likes this.
  40. MikeWard

MikeWard Meyvn (1,088) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

As a transplanted Brit, I'm used to drinking at the cellar-to-room temperature range. Having said that, it gets bloody hot and humid here in PA sometimes, so I have no problem drinking pales, IPA's, even Belgians at colder than recommended temps. Come the depths of winter, all beers are back to cellar-to-room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.