Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

?

How often do you drink to get drunk?

1. All the time or close to it.

58 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

319 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Rarely or never.

447 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Jan 4, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I consider drunk to be very buzzed.

I hit that level a few times a year.
    That doesnt' mean I don't drink numerous beers (6+) on some given nights.
    Most of those nights are long ones. For example we played poker the other night and I had 8 craft beers (12.oz) average. All between 6%-12%.
    I felt more tired than buzzed. Probably because we started at 7pm and played until 3am. Way later than I normally stay up.

January is my 2 nights a week month. Allow 3 beers any two nights M-Sun. Time to get in shape again!

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Light-headed: once a week when I have my two craft beers on Sunday.

Buzzed: maybe once or twice a month, when I go out with friends.

Drunk: used to happen fairly regularly during college (once a week), but now only when we do really elaborate tastings that turn into craft binges, so now I would say once every 3-4 months.

Smashed: this happened once or twice a year during college.

Blackout drunk: literally once in my life. Never again.

dcotom likes this.
  3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Far less than the amount of times I drink beer. Honestly, my beer drinking has increased but the amount of times I'm actually drunk has gone down. Now buzzed is another matter there officer Dribble...

4. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Dec 26, 2012 Georgia

I haven't been drunk since the army, I can't afford it. I'm not what you'd call a cheap date. I don't think I've been moderatly buzzed more than 8 or 9 times since '83. then only 'cause somebody would bring a bottle of jack,or jim, or even better mi amigo jose. ;) My usual is 2 or 3 beers and call it a night.

5. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Something tells me craft beer drinkers are less likely to drink with the goal of getting drunk, but who knows. Personally, I rarely even drink more than two beers in a sitting. At parties, I almost never have more than four over the course of a few hours, so I consider myself a light drinker compared to basically anybody I know. I also tend to drink at a slow pace and somehow consistently maintain my buzz.

Alright, I tailed off... see: title.

6. rather

rather May 31, 2013 California

I drink tasty delicious beer that can get out of hand but before attending a sporting event I wanna pre game fairly hard other than that just occasion celebrations holidays and such

7. phillyhops

phillyhops Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I will occasionally have a bottle share between a couple friends in which the main objective is to try as many different beers as possible...however getting drunk is usually the end result.

8. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Frequently. Not falling down drunk, but a nice buzz that I wouldn't drive with.

9. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Jul 22, 2015 Mexico
    Beer Trader

Drunk as in passed out on the floor I think only 2 or 3 times in my life and it was more than 8 years ago.

Most of the time I just have 1 or 2 beers at home. At a party 3 or 4 beers. No alcohol impairments.

I rarely get really tipsy, I think most of the times I ever got close to drunk were during tasting sessions were several bottles were involved.

spoony and dcotom like this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I honestly never do it on purpose. But it happens often. And not fall down the stairs drunk, just wobbly and off balance and loud. I have a habit of drinking fast and not eating until its too late. I only ever threw up once. And hangovers are rare. But often. Im drunk. But i never leave the hoyse during.

11. MacQ67

MacQ67 May 20, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The last time I consciously chose to drink until I got drunk was the day my mother died. As far as how many times I have started drinking and ended up drunk, like shitfaced drunk, is probably twice a year and involves a whole hog BBQ.

12. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

But... drinking before eating is the way to do it.

You can drink without wanting to get drunk while still enjoying yourself a quality buzz. Unless I'm in denial and a buzz = drunk to most people.

brettski66 likes this.
  13. gopens44

gopens44 Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I tend to get very ambitious with the number I drink / would like to drink in a sitting (especially on New Beer Sunday....) but realize I've gone sprinting when a marathon was necessary. That's when I back off and start cranking up good old water for many reasons. Early mornings (average 4:00 AM wakeups), things need done around the house that wouldn't suffer a drunk, but most of all kids don't need to see dad all silly and stumbly. And that's pretty much the main reason right there. I can play down a buzz or take a quick nap but silly and sloppy don't hide well.

14. tillmac62

tillmac62 Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Monday - Friday since I usually drink 3 here in the afternoon.

15. Josholson666

Josholson666 Mar 21, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

As (I will assume) one of the younger members on here, I've had plenty of times where the main goal was getting drunk (see: downing a six-pack of trippel in the dorms then drinking hamms for six hours straight at a party). Those days are mostly behind me, but typically whenever I'm going to my brothers house, a beer share happens to the point where I usually can't drive home.

I love drinking tasty beer, but I do also love being drunk!

16. jhartley

jhartley Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

It just sort of happens sometimes.
    I will typically only have 2-4 beers.
    With amount of shitty things I have had to deal with over the past month, I think many would not condemn any amount of heavy drinking I would do; however getting drunk wouldn't help or solve any of those issues.

17. MattyB203

MattyB203 Apr 20, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

A lot of craft beer is high ABV and I don't know many people than can crush four 8-10% ABV pints and not be a little drunk.

18. MatthewWalters

MatthewWalters Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Being in college and studying abroad in Italy right now makes my answer a bit embarrassing

19. Seanem44

Seanem44 Mar 18, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I graduated college 10 years ago. Guess I'm lucky I did, as it was a drunken stupor. Now, at 34, I probably haven't been drunk in over a few years. Don't get me wrong... I've definitely felt the effects, and a bomber of 10% whatever is enough to make me feel a little wonky the next morning. For me though, the end result of being drunk isn't worth the feeling anymore. I much rather nurse something good for an hour or two and call it a night with a light buzz. Nothing against anyone that gets drunk at all. Just not for me anymore.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  20. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don't just drink to get drunk much but it does happen, mainly watching football or at a cookout!! It kind of creeps up on you!!

Barracudas, vabeerguy and Karst32 like this.
  21. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Oct 14, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Drunk is rarely the goal, but sometimes it is the inevitable result.

22. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Dec 28, 2014 Illinois

Option 2. It's rarely my intent to get drunk, but it's winter here, so most of the brews I drink now are >10% ABV.....it happens.

23. SiVisPacem

SiVisPacem Oct 7, 2015 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But being 33 with an 18 month old, drinking to get drunk is never the goal. Most of the time a bottle or two of stout will give me a nice buzz, but I'm old enough to know I should mostly call it quits after that.

Mostly.

lester619 and vabeerguy like this.
  24. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Some would say that's the point? Craft drinkers just take a little more pride in what they drink. Know yourself and your limits.

25. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

If I'm just hanging around inside I usually drink 2 beers, maybe 3 if I start earlier. Sometimes I'll have 1 beer with/after dinner. If I'm at a special event I usually try to get drunk.

SteveB24 and MACrist like this.
  26. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Serious question, I'm not judging either of you (or anyone on this site, I simply quoted both of you because its within this thread)...

...but, wine is also >10% abv. Why not simply treat high abv beer as if you were drinking wine? Or liquor if it's even stronger? I realize the bottle size(s) are one of the reasons, but wine comes in 750 mL bottles.

cjgiant likes this.
  27. bluehende

bluehende Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I am glad you put intention into the act. I never drink to get drunk, but damn it does happen. Even that is rarely. I would define drunk as too drunk to drive.

LuskusDelph and vabeerguy like this.
  28. Daniel_T

Daniel_T Feb 19, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I usually drink and get buzzed but every once in a while, it gets away from me...not too many times any more...and I never drink beer that I don't want to drink explaining to people 'I am saving my liver for beer that I like'...that's keeps me away from Bud Light and Modelo and all that...they think I am a snob but then explain to them that it's like being forced to smoke menthol cigs when you hate them or eating pumpkin cheesecake when you only like the regular cheesecake...

29. Karnivool1

I usually do drink the higher ABV beers slower than... say an IPA. But there are some days (usually on a weekend) that I start early, and next thing I know there's 6 empty bottles on my counter. I never get to the point of passed out drunk, but definitely times where I know I wouldn't drive.

30. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Feb 14, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think I'm still hungover from that one time in January.

31. SteveD082791

SteveD082791 Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

The objective is never to get drunk (a decent buzz is always welcome) but with how often I have bottle shares with friends or go to events at bars, I wanna keep trying stuff and usually end up pretty intoxicated lol

vabeerguy likes this.
  32. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Mar 26, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I never drink to get drunk but it happens.

33. donamh

donamh Dec 27, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

I like having a few nice beers, but never want to get drunk. I don't mind getting buzzed in any way, but past that point is never fun for me so I avoid it.

mountain_water likes this.
  34. Karnivool1

And going to beer fests is darn near impossible to stay sober if you use all your tickets. Fests around here are 4 hours, and I'll be damned if I'm leaving any tickets unused considering it's about $50 to attend.

2beerdogs likes this.
  35. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Oct 1, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

For me, drinking isn't about getting drunk, it's a food pairing, an end of the day treat, or, most often, an accompaniment to conversation with friends.

36. MUTINY

MUTINY Feb 6, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

To echo the majority sentiment here - for me, it's never my intention, but is sometimes a consequence.

37. Mehinaman

Mehinaman May 16, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Occasionally I will drink to get a buzz, as others have indicated above, but never with the goal of getting drunk. I would never want to associate craft beer with the pain of a hangover as I do with tequila. :p

PaulietheBrit likes this.
  38. biboergosum

biboergosum Oct 28, 2007 Alberta (Canada)

That's (morbidly) funny - my wife actually gave me the go ahead to 'drink as much as I want' the day my mom died last year. I proceeded to review one beer in her memory, and then couldn't drink anything after that.

PaulietheBrit and papat444 like this.
  39. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

40. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

For me it's an unfortunate side effect from enjoying too many of my favorite beverage...
    A minor buzz is fine but when I start even slightly spinning it's time to stop drinking, eat then sleep.. Lol

If I do want to get drunk it's certainly not off my craft stuff..

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe