How often do you go back and update your previous reviews?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by BillAfromSoCal, May 2, 2021.

1. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Aspirant (230) Aug 24, 2020 California

I have seen various posts that describe wish-list items related to reviews but not much specific to the current question: How often, if at all, do you go back to make updates or edits to a review that you made in the past? I really like trying new beers, but on those occasions when I do have a beer that I previously reviewed I will often go back and see if my current impression matches my original impression. If it does not, I will update the commentary and/or the score(s). Occasionally I will note how one perceived aspect no longer matches my original impression. If it is a significant change I will add the date of the revision to the new commentary and reference to original date of the review. Just curious how many others do this.

2. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,031) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

Great post. I have a method very similar: Go back to read the review each time I try the beer. Compare to the previous review. If different, either update the previous review. Or if significantly difference, do a second review and date it.
    I think you have a good process sir.

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,932) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Once in a while, but probably not often enough.

I was just looking at my reviews of Trumer and Lager of the Lakes and I know my opinion has improved on them.

4. BillAfromSoCal

Thanks, but perhaps you are alone in that assessment; I opened this thread 8 hrs ago and only two responses, including yours, and no "likes" so far, even though 70 people have viewed it....oh well.....

PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  5. BigIronH

BigIronH Aspirant (212) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

I find myself most frequently re assessing my review within a week or two. I don’t buy a ton of singles so I end up with beer that sits in the fridge for a couple weeks and I go back to it and sometimes think “man this is better than it was first go around”. And I might go back and change my review. I also find my opinion changes if it’s the first beer of the night or the fifth so sometimes I update on that basis as well. Overall I probably update 1 in 30 reviews I do. Frequency would be between 1 day and 1 month usually.

6. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,850) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I have no set plan or formula for doing so.

However, if I haven't had the beer in a while or the beer in question has been reformulated or even if I either highly rated or lowly (?) rated the beer initially (whether within a few weeks or a number of years), I'll certainly go back and re-review it.

7. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (432) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I'm not too worried about a small drift in beer style, or even a moderate reevaluation of my original opinion. I do edit the review if there seems to be a real change in flavor. One time I revised after I noticed that a beer had morphed from a more traditional IPA to a juicy, cloudy IPA.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,072) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If it helps any, I liked your OP before I read this post. :wink:

To reply to the question at hand, I've never updated a beer review or rating, but I have occasionally updated a Places review as a result of a revisit.

9. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,703) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

On occasion. Sometimes I like to read my old reviews, especially ones I wrote 10 + years ago from my early years being a member of this site. I enjoy seeing how the wording/language I was using in my reviews back then compares to the language/wording I've been using the past several years and currently to describe the different characteristics of the beers I review. Whenever I find a spelling error in an old review, which does happen from time to time, I enjoy having the opportunity to correct it. Sometimes, if I happen to be drinking a beer I reviewed here some years back, I'll click on that review and see if I think it accurately reflects what I feel in drinking that beer now. Sometimes I'll update the review, sometimes not. There isn't necessarily a rhyme or reason for me personally in whether or not I decide to do so.

Eric

10. Jack_14

Jack_14 Initiate (192) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Although I have been in here for a relatively short time, I have been emailing the review with photos of the craft beers for more than 10 years.
    Obviously there are "duplicates", but always with the distinctive element of the date.
    Otherwise, the @defunksta 's answer is identical to the one I would have given.
    I happened to "update" some reviews in the database, but never in a shocking way.

11. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,702) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

When I started on this journey, I ticked just about everything without reviewing it. If I have occasion to revisit something I've already ticked, I'll review it. If I revisit something I've already reviewed, I'll modify the review only if something changes drastically. In that case, I'll tag and date the revision in the body of the review.

In answer to the OP's question "How often?" I'd have to say "Not very."

12. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,253) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

I don't write beer reviews but I write place reviews (the mad scribblings formerly known as Beerfly). My early reviews were very stripped down and bare, not too thorough on what I feel are the important things now (saying, 'they have a good selection' versus 'describing the number of taps, their craft to import ratio, local/regional versus countrywide, and most importantly, stating what I had and how I felt about it').
    They added another tower of 12 taps, they added food, they now have a bottle/can cooler, they expanded into that other space, they now have outdoor seating, they now do a first Friday firkin, they stopped using Ringwood and the beers are much better, they now do growls, crowls, & cans to go, they have a new brewer who came in and cleaned up their act, and on and on...
    To answer the question, I guess I update when I've got relevant things to say.

#12 slander, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  13. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,958) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I almost never update a beer review after my initial post.
    Maybe I should check back on what I though of X beer 15 years ago, could be an interesting conversation with myself over a pint!
    But to be honest if ive already reviewed a beer, Im more liky to want to just enjoy the moment and the beer than re write my impression.
    I used to try and review every new beer I tried and this was fun but also created beer backlogs in my stockpile, adding a second review wouldnt help with keeping inventory in my cellar moving.
    Good thought provoking post!

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,207) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If I’m having a beer I know I’ve had historically, first I do a mental review of it, then see what a rated or reviewed historically to see if I’m still in the same review grade and tasting beiges etc. If it’s drastically different I’ll update my score but under the review narrative I post the old score and notes I had.

15. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,932) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

The "like harvesting" worked. :wink:

Posting on Sundays seems to be posting in a weekend dead zone. :grin:

16. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,864) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

As I have only reviewed on this site less than 20% of the over 3,500 new to me beers I have had in the last 6 years since joining here, I can safely say that I very rarely revisit a past review and add update comments...my aspirational goal continues to be to do more reviews and occasional updates on BA moving forward. Cheers!

17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,116) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Never for me, but I see nothing wrong with it. I view reviews as a snapshot, impressions of a singular time. And beers and tastes do change over time. I worry not at all about my reviews here or how many beers total that I have reviewed anywhere. I also have boxes of poems, short stories, and photographs. I have plenty of personal editing work that beckons, but not often loudly.

18. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,214) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Once in a blue moon I'll look up an old review if I am having a very good beer that I haven't had in a long time. Even more rare is the few times I've changed the review.
    Embarrassingly what I do have to do some times is correct my spelling. Its not because I failed spelling in grammar school or I was too buzzed. Its just by the time I'm able to sit down and have a few its late at the end of a long day and I'm wasted from lack of sleep.

19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,702) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I do update my reviews periodically. It generally is because my impression of the beer has changed drastically one way or another, thus its deserving of a re-review. However I also will re-review a beer if its one I've previously reviewed, but them am reviewing as part of a tasting thread or something like that. I always add my review to the prior one with my prior score noted there as well.

Yea, I hear that. A lot of the beers I had initially reviewed when I joined this site probably warrant a revisit one of these days.

20. Peach63

Peach63 Crusader (713) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I've never updated one of my reviews. I figure they can't get anymore bone-headed than they already are. :wink::grin:

21. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,879) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I think it’s a cool idea, but I rarely do. Only in special cases where it might have been 10 years since I last had it, or if it’s significantly better I generally go with the more favorable review.

Lately I’ve been contemplating not reviewing on ba anymore tbh.

22. BillAfromSoCal

Lots of good insights in these responses that illustrate the range of habits among BA members. I suppose since I have only been on BA since last August and I am the classic Type A/ engineer personality I get obsessed with "trying to do things right". Thus my curiosity about whether I was consistent with common practice. One thing this thread has showed is that almost any practice is consistent among some subset of BA members....and there are lots of subsets.

LesDewitt4beer, Peach63 and FBarber like this.
  23. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,116) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Editing is positively timeless. Or ought to be!

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,769) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve never revisited old ratings, I gave that up many years ago, and I’m sure they were perfectly horrible. Just took a quick look and I’ve only rated two beers since 2017 and only two that year, the rest are 2015 or older.

25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,577) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Infrequently - unless there is something drastically different about my experience with the beer I will update my review otherwise I just enjoy the beer when having it again.

26. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,306) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I can't remember every beer I've reviewed, so I often pick up a beer and write down a review only to find that I've already reviewed it in the past. If that happens I always amend my old review with the new review indicating the date and how I may have changed the rating values.

Sometimes I seek look at the beers I've rated and if there is no review for a common or special beer I will seek that beer out with the intention of rating, but that is infrequent.

Peach63 and BillAfromSoCal like this.
  27. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,245) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Good question! It depends.
    If it's 'just any ol' beer' I may glance at my previous review, but am unlikely to change the description / score unless something feels WAY off; positive or negative.
    A change from 3 - 3.75 or 4 is drastic and perhaps, I had an infected bottle the first time, or the recipe has been refined / improved, etc. That's a worthwhile change in my opinion.
    A change from 3.5 to 3.75, though for example, feels more like just how I'm feeling in the moment or the particular state of my palate at that precise moment.
    In general, I don't really like to change my scores / descriptions. Not really sure why. Just feels like my initial impression should stand?

If, however, I got a 4/6 pack of something and am reviewing the beer again, a year later, say, I'll add to the existing review. Like, a skip down a line and add a note with the date and the a new A/S/T/M/O impression.
    I certainly feel that's fair as it's not necessarily fair to change my initial description of the fresh beer to bring it into alignment with the beer with age on it - they're not "the same".
    I am even less likely to update a score in this scenario.

28. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Initiate (182) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

I think I might rate beers' scores a little high so I've thought about it. I've had some beers I've rated in different locations/environments, on tap vs bottled, with or without food (isn't that a song by the band U2? With or without food:joy:) and in a few instances I'm sort of lightly 2nd guessing my overall scores but it's just a select few. I'm in no rush at all.
    I like these posts here. I will over time go back and really focus on a few beers to see if they are worthy of a re-review. Otherwise I feel comfortable with most reviews I've submitted so far. I'm still learning and I have a lot to learn about this beautiful process. Cheers all!!

29. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (405) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Thinking hard about this question. Every time I have a NG Moon Man it keeps getting better and better :wink:

30. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,739) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I never change them. Although my tastes and preferences may have changed over the years, the scores that I gave 10 years ago reflected how I truly felt about those beers at the time. The first time I had KBS it was one of the 5 best beers I've ever tasted. Although I wouldn't score it quite as high today, I didn't change it because at the time, it blew me away.

31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,638) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Pretty much never.

Peach63 likes this.
  32. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (800) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

I just did one tonight. Through time my knowledge base increases and I'm able to evaluate something in a certain style more insightfully than previously. Plus through time software changes seem to drop off some details.