How often you work out to live your beer life?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Nov 30, 2017.

?

You work out?

1. Nah, I'm good. 0 days

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Little bit. 1-2 days

27 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Little more. 3-4 days

68 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. Gym rat. 5-7 days.

64 vote(s)
    31.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crow121

crow121 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland

Just curious after reading that calorie thread.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  2. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,739) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I consider carrying my beers after running errands as ''working out''.

So probably once or twice a week.

#2 Shanex, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Beernut9230

Beernut9230 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2016 New York
    Deactivated

Love working out more than I enjoy drinking... I can really embrace a beer depending on how much work I put in at the gym

jvgoor3786 and Txex06 like this.
  4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I have always been into working out just for my overall health. I don't workout to drink, it is more just what I enjoy, honestly it takes a lot of stress out of the work day, etc. Beer is like anything else, if you over do it and don't offset with exercise you will gain weight, same as food, etc. Overall I really don't worry about it, I love my beer and enjoying working out so in the end it works.

5. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

Brewing is a god exercise

6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We walk about 6.5 miles a day, so there ends up being a little time for beer. We are 66 and 60.

Premo88, tzieser, beertrip and 4 others like this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Defender (600) Mar 19, 2012 California

There are other reasons for "working out". For many years, I played team sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball). It allowed me to eat and drink pretty much what I want (within reason). As I have gotten older, my joints don't like jumping and twisting as much. So, it's basic running and cycling.

Premo88, rgordon and Snowcrash000 like this.
  8. chuckgietzen

chuckgietzen Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2014 Michigan

7 days a week. (early riser)
    I do 30-60 minutes of cardio every morning before work. Lift twice a week, usually after I get the kids to bed.
    Weekend mornings - cardio session before the rest of the house wakes up.

NickSMpls likes this.
  9. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,116) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Work out 5 to 6 days a week and between walking the dog,gardening,and other hobbies and chores im always active. I have enjoyed working out since I was 19 and ran a marathon, its just a huge part of my lifestyle

VABA likes this.
  10. ypsifly

ypsifly Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I pretty much quit driving just over a year ago. If I'm going somewhere, 90% of the time its on a bicycle. I have commuted to work by bike every day, 9 miles round trip in rain, snow, and driving winds...whatever since late October last year. I have a dozen bikes with two set up specifically for rain and/or snow. So 5 days a week has me in the saddle for 45 miles plus I do about another 50 or so going wherever. I probably drink more now than I was a couple years ago but have maintained the same weight.

I didn't start getting serious about riding so I can drink more beer, it just sort of worked out that way, lol.

11. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

45-60 minutes on the bike, 4 or 5 days per week. I think exercise and beer are pretty similar... good for the body and good for the soul :slight_smile:

fehrminator, Shanex and Snowcrash000 like this.
  12. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Work out? Like in a gym? Never. Active life and work. Trail work for mt bike stuff, mt biking, bikepacking, commuting by bike, all good.

tzieser, Snowcrash000 and loebrygg like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Walk about 3 miles a day but I'd do that even if I quit drinking beer.

14. mannrw61

mannrw61 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2017 Massachusetts

This has recently been a dilemma for me. I had been trying to drop ~10-15 extra pounds I'm carrying. I started working out (45-60 minutes of cardio plus some weights) 3 times a week and allowed myself one beer (typically 16 oz.) every night. I mostly found myself staying stagnant, so have begrudgingly started to try only drinking beer on the weekends and keeping my workout the same. Started it on Monday and have actually dropped 2 pounds so far so there's either something to my new method or I'm finally losing the sodium water weight from thanksgiving.

15. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (191) Apr 23, 2017 New York

I do a lot of working around home, Don't know if I'ld feel like getting stuff done if I used up my energy "working out".
    This is the first year in ages that I didn't walk the golf course 3 or 4 times a week. I do miss golf. hopefully next year I'll get back to golf. Did gain a little weight this year without golf, but built a log building and cut a lot of firewood, Seems like a workout to me.

DoctorZombies and VABA like this.
  16. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Well, I cycle about 300 miles a month, on average. Bit more in the summer, bit less in the winter, to be honest. Since I tend to cycle long distances, that comes down to around 2-4 times a week, on average, again.

DoctorZombies, Shanex and VABA like this.
  17. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (626) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

I work at a university rec center, so it makes it easier to work out. Try to do cardio 3-4 times a week at least to try to break even on those beer calories. Try is the key word...

18. IBUBrew

IBUBrew Initiate (0) May 6, 2017 Vermont

Workout? Only 16oz curls!

19. scream

scream Meyvn (1,362) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

If I were to "werkout" it'd probably kill me - COPD

20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't work out but walk 3-5 every day weather permeting.

Chipotle and DoctorZombies like this.
  21. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (502) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Almost everyday, but that's to eat what I want. Before marriage, I actually cared. Now, I just do it because I enjoy it.

22. Chris619

Chris619 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2017 California

Absolutely never. I have a fast metabolism, an active life, and eat/drink what I want. I never gain weight. Just lucky I guess.

23. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

4-5 times a week, resistance training and some cardio, I also eat like a pig, so I have to workout

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  24. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I do 12 ounce curls at least 5 times week. Sometimes I even do 16 ounce curls. I have been known to run to the bathroom now and then too.

25. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,047) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

5-7 days a week, but not sure I'm winning. Those high ABV BA stout bombers supposedly have a couple of calories in them, as I understand it.:astonished:

26. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

All of the concussive shock from years of basketball, my knees and hips suffer during weather changes, and sometimes just generally. My son was a professional skater, is 32, and has back, knee, and ankle issues. But I'll take it!

27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,192) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'm running anywhere from 40 miles a week in the off season, to 70 when I'm training for a big race. Looking to bump that max mileage to 80 for the next training cycle. Regardless, that equates to about 5 days of running a week minimum.

I'm not going to be that guy with man boobs at the bar, and the stouts taste better when I know I've gotten in at least 6 miles over my lunch break.

Fracwilt likes this.
  28. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm not sure if it counts as "working out" per se, but between my dog and my wanting to carve out some extra calories for beer I hike 3 miles or so a few times a week.

When I lived in the Midwest and there were no hills or forests nearby my waistline was noticeably less cooperative (not that it's completely tame now by any means).

Harrison8 likes this.
  29. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (444) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

key for me is calorie intake. lots of protein at breakfast followed by soup for lunch, snacks consisting if nuts and yogurt and then a reasonable dinner -- that leaves room for a couple of 16s of my favorite IPA -- probably 600 calories or so a day. Cheers!!

Harrison8 likes this.
  30. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (629) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Push - legs - pull. 3 days on, 1 off.
    Try not to drink on most days but typically have a few Fri - Sun, regardless of rest days.

Didn’t exercise for several years in my late 20s through early 30s and regret it - start young if you still are!

Chipotle and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  31. Jagrs_Mullet

Jagrs_Mullet Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

I play ice hockey twice a week and walk my dog for at least 30 minutes each day.

32. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (427) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm not a skinny guy, always carried weight. However, I'm a Clydesdale Runner. I'm not competitive with elite runners. However, my 225 lbs 6'3" frame is going to pass most within age group either half or full marathon. When training for halfs, like I am now, I run about 35 miles a week and for a fulls I'm into the 50 miles range. For either training plan, I'm running 5 days a week. All of which certainly helps me enjoy beers.

33. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'll go with the Apostle Paul on this: "Bodily exercise profiteth little." (1 Tim. 4:8)
    :grinning::grinning::grinning:

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  34. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,026) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

i run at least once a week and play soccer either that same day or another day

my job is physically demanding so i may have a slight gut but i'm in good shape and i have popeye forearms

35. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I don't currently have a gym membership, although I plan on signing up again soon. However, I do usually go for hikes once or twice a week, so I still get a little exercise. Plus I do lot of a walking and heavy lifting at my main job.

36. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,055) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Five days a week, 1-1.5 hours a day. But it doesn't have anything to do with my beer drinking. I just love working out. My wife is a personal trainer too, so she keeps me honest.

KBlodorn and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  37. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,743) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

I workout about 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week.

38. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,521) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Minimal 5 days a week, more in the summer. Less around the winter holidays. 1.5-2 hours of cycling cardio per day(trainer or otherwise), combined with a very restricted protein rich diet. I own 3 bikes now. I used to be 320 lbs 9 years ago, but now hover around 190-200. I will never let myself get back to that previous weight ever. Cycling is an addiction now, and I hate feeling weight gain bloat, so it just adds to my overall passion to ride more often. Rail and MTB trails.

39. LavaLite

LavaLite Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois

I workout every time I breathe.

SomethingClever and scream like this.
  40. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Half marathons, centuries, and and two soccer teams for me. Have played since I was 5. Also try to lift, but that tends to be on and off depending on gym access. I much prefer being outside. None of these things are for beer drinking, but it helps keep a balance. If I live longer, I will have more years to drink great beer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.