How would Texas respond to CBS?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Aspirant (292) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Founder's Brewing - specifically KBS - started my journey in craft beer many years ago. Basically, I learned it was rare and highly sought-after and thus - decided I must try it.

Founder's released this today: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/founders-new-barrel-aged-series-release-dkml.503693/

Sounds boring.

Malt liquor?! You may have a different opinion and thats fine, but mine is "next". I hope Im wrong.

This all got me wondering though...with much rumor that CBS will likely be the December release of Founder's Barrel Aged Series, what will the reaction be here in Texas?

Ive never had CBS - so I will definitely be ISO. But maybe this is a classic issue of hype vs. reality. Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt CBS released in 2009? Or was it 2011? Either way - long time ago. Many new barrel-aged beers have come along. Additionally, a lot of great BBA stouts now exist w/ varying degrees of difficultly to obtain.

It almost begs the question: "With all of today's craft-beer competition, will the value of CBS be dimished with another release - thus opening it up to present day comparisons?"

2. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (708) Feb 5, 2014 Texas
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

My obsession with craft beer also started with KBS about three years ago and craft beer as a whole has been part of my regular beer choices for over a decade.

I'm personally excited about the new Founders release for the simple fact that it is out of the ordinary. In a market crowded with adjunct stouts and NE style IPAs I personally welcome something different. Don't get me wrong I love both styles but the hype surrounding them is apparent and occasionally exhausting.

I did have the opportunity to try CBS at the taproom in GR a little over a year ago. I did think it was a great beer but ultimately not as earth shattering as many had hyped it up to be. As far as the value goes I think that depends on how much of it is produced. If it is produced in the same quantities as the barrel-aged series releases have been so far then I don't see the perceived "value" of it holding up. If Founders was to release it the way Prairie did Pirate Paradise with a brewery only release that specifically stated there are only 1200 bottles of it then it'd be a whole different story.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  3. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (575) Mar 3, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

CBS did show up in Texas a couple years back...but on tap only.

mattisloco likes this.
  4. Koshkin

Koshkin Initiate (124) Nov 2, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's pretty incredible stuff but a little goes a long way with the maple syrup. That being said, I don't see anyone not being excited to squirrel away as many bottles as they can locate.

JTF_011 likes this.
  5. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Beer Trader

Someone told me that they felt Michigan Maple Jesus by ET was exactly how CBS tasted.

Having not had CBS, I can only speculate. But there's the point - more and more options are being created that match these once sought after beers.

6. Chadzero

Chadzero Initiate (146) Dec 20, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

IIRC When it was released 2ish years ago in kegs, there were about 3-4 events around town tapping it. I went and did the flights at easy tiger. I think it was a 4oz pour along with Backwoods bastard, centennial, and something else. No line, easy to get in and try some. I remember people saying there was a huge line draughthouse and it pretty much poured until the slim kicked.

7. DamianX13

DamianX13 Initiate (165) Sep 18, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Had it at Bangers a couple of years back and thought it was delicious.

8. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (126) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

DKML Sounds delicious to me. I fully expect a big barrel aged Barley Wine /Old Ale style beer. I could see it being something like a Bruery Potiere or maybe Firestone Helldorado or somewhere in between. With that said yes, CBS would fly off the shelves herem

donspublic and needMIbeer like this.
  9. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,140) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I think Frootwood is the first/only BA beer I have had with maple syrup, I can see how KBS would rock with this added to it

10. Maich

Maich Initiate (193) Oct 23, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Houston would buy it up in about 5 minutes. I had the opportunity to have it at Nobi one year it was solid but I wouldn't search it out like a mad man.

11. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Beer Trader

I remember when Nobi tapped that and I was out of town - irionically in Michigan of all places. Was bummed I missed it and havent seen in tapped anywhere near me since.

12. Onslow

Onslow Zealot (577) Apr 12, 2007 Texas

it is a very tasty beer, but very close to a novelty, nothing you'd want a whole lot of.
    i thought the actual maple syrup they used was the better drink..

Maich likes this.
  13. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (438) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

I missed the draft release of CBS a couple years ago, but the 2011 release was fucking incredible. It's absolutely worth the hype, more so than KBS imo (don't get me wrong, I love KBS too).

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had CBS on tap at Big Hops and it was one of the most decadent beers I've ever had. Like drinking chocolate ganache.

pwsoldier likes this.
  15. Persdawg

Persdawg Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

drank half a keg of it last time Dallas had it.

very hype worthy

16. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (706) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Yup, I drank multiple pours all over Dallas as well- common table, flying saucer, moth... thought it was fantastic. Can't wait for bottles, eff the trade hype, just wanna drink it

JJFoodie likes this.
  17. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (191) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Truth, son!

Abbbp likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.