Hudson Valley Brewery (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jma1979, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (93) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Metro-North/LIRR used be a third of the price 20 years ago... Funny accounting and other stuff is has made the fares skyrocket.

If you're a city folk HVB is that far of a walk, do the Dia, then a bite on main street, then HVB.

2. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (316) Jun 25, 2016 New York

3. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (86) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Hopefully all the out-of-towners proceed with their sharing business as usual, NYPD picks up half the line for open containers, and I can stroll in at 11.

4. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (540) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Yep. Used to cost me $9.50 round trip to get to NYC on the LIRR. Now its $19.75 round trip.

Ironically, the service has gotten much worse; the trains are a disaster; and it feels like you are on a stage coach with all the rocking back and forth.

rozzom likes this.
  5. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (58) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

rozzom likes this.
  6. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (141) Jul 9, 2017 New York

People aren't that stupid right? Like it should be obvious that drinking in the middle of Manhattan is going to get you ticketed.

rozzom likes this.
  7. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

I'm really hoping there are people that think it's okay to just throw a chair down and walk away in the middle of midtown.

NewmansOwn, Mattttt and rozzom like this.
  8. BoardwalkBock

People are stupid AND entitled.

9. BoardwalkBock

Especially in HK. It’s not the worst neighborhood by any means but people in that area tend to not put up with any bullshit.

10. Mattttt

Trader

my reason for going is slowly shifting from 'because i want the beer' to 'because this is going to be a great story'

NewmansOwn, Xerlic and tinoynk like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

As someone who once worked for a man obsessed with train history it actually is a fascinating tale of capitalism gone crazy.

Xerlic and rozzom like this.
  12. tinoynk

Trader

How’s the line?

13. midegrou

midegrou Initiate (60) Dec 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

As of about 15 minutes ago, it was like 20-30 deep.

Source: HK local who was morbidly curious and went to check it out.

NewmansOwn and bgold86 like this.
  14. tinoynk

Trader

Hm sounds surprisingly reasonable.

15. midegrou

midegrou Initiate (60) Dec 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Pretty unbearably packed right now.

16. Cardinalsong

Cardinalsong Initiate (16) Apr 6, 2018 New York

Are cans sold out? There's been very little info on what's actually happening.

17. NewmansOwn

From what I’ve heard wristbands are done but they’re still working through the line

18. mb3152

mb3152 Initiate (16) Feb 21, 2018 Pennsylvania

Anyone have a guess for how long full allotments will last this Saturday?

19. SMason

SMason Initiate (194) Feb 6, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Was wondering same?

20. mb3152

mb3152 Initiate (16) Feb 21, 2018 Pennsylvania

They had plenty of beer until Sunday. Is this the norm now, or just a calm release?

21. Xerlic

Trader

Lasting until Sunday doesn't usually happen, but the beer usually lasts the line on Saturday and then some. I've been able to show up at like 2-3PM and get cans other than the recent Glycerin release.

22. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (156) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

How have the releases been in the last couple of months? Making my first stop down there this Saturday and assuming it's going to be crazy with the collaboration and tap takeover with Threes. Just trying to be smart with my time. I'd rather not have to get there early, but if swinging in at 2PM and getting cans is out of the question, I'll get there before open. Any advice?

23. Mattttt

Trader

what i can tell you for SURE, is that a threes takeover is not going to make things 'crazy'. maybe the collab? or the new beers? threes beer does not garner the hype to make a hudson valley release more crowded than it already would be. the releases have been mellow lately.

NewmansOwn and TheOneTC like this.
  24. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Hard to tell. I'm assuming this will be packed and everything but the lager will be sold out by 2, since they haven't had a release in a month+ and people are hankering, but who knows.

TheOneTC likes this.
  25. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (97) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

My wife was back home with her sisters and mom this weekend for some craft fair up there. I offhandedly asked her to get some of today’s releases and she did! It was a lot of crazy texting between her, me and my brother-in-law (also getting some) but the upshot is that everything made it til 9. Can’t wait to try them tomorrow.

Xerlic likes this.
  26. tinoynk

Trader

Apparently the lager sold out first. Must have been a real small batch.

27. Mineo

Yeah, looks like the sours lasted until Sunday. Hopefully a sign that things have settled down a bit and it’ll be more like EQ in that you’ll get beer if you roll up around 2-3 on Saturday.

28. Xerlic

Trader

Hasn't it been this way for a while? I don't go to too many HVB releases, but the last 2 I did go to I showed up at around 3PM and got beer with little to no line.

29. dmolz

dmolz Initiate (128) Dec 2, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

the oak aged pils sold out even quicker. def smaller than the others. not sure if more than 'clearing' batch size or just not as busy as that release. cool to see them in 16 oz.

30. Mineo

Yeah it has been lately, though I wrongly assumed the Threes collaboration/event + first new cans in awhile would result in a quick sellout.

31. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

I've had dreams of this moment

32. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (38) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

To those who have been to HVB... Is 730 too late given I guess this is "a big deal." Waiting a half hour for a band plus another just to get the line moving (1130-12) is already a lot, and while the beers I've had by them are great I don't exactly need a case to myself (maybe 6-8 cans at most depending on if they have another can) so being the first 100 isn't really a concern.

33. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (97) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Serious question: why is this a big deal?

34. NewmansOwn

People on the Facebook group have decided this is the best beer they've released.

35. stairway2heavn

I guess because it's not something regularly released, and they don't do weeklu releases, and nobody in the area does sour IPAs as well. I wouldn't be going normally, but I happen to be in Beacon anyway myself. I guess it's one of the few breweries in the area that's still highly tradable since even OH releases are relatively easy to get post line (I don't trade myself, so take that with a grain of salt.). Mostly I've been drinking a lot of pilsners and NEIPAs and it would be nice to have something as different as that personally (not many hours in line waiting worthwhile, but a bit of hanging out in line with some friends isn't a big deal to me on a good weather day).

Mrstiffington likes this.
  36. stairway2heavn

You are far more succinct. Yeah, I'm not in the group so I don't know except the high Instagram traffic and fact it's not something they have released multiple times.

37. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (136) Dec 25, 2015 New York

That carbonation doesn't look good. I wonder if the almonds did something.

38. Mineo

Bummer. Was planning on going but won’t get there til noon. That would have sufficed for any other release but this one these days.

39. Xerlic

Trader

I still feel that the need to get there early is way overstated. People on the FB group say all the time that they're putting chairs down the night before and recommending people get there really early to get a ticket or you'll get shut out. This hasn't been true for any release other than glycerin which is known to have low yields.Maybe I'm underestimating demiurge, but I still plan to just show up at 1 as usual and hopefully scoop up a few 4 packs.

40. inkman15

inkman15 Devotee (428) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is accurate. I had it last time and while it surely tasted good, it was basically Hawaiian Punch. Straight fruit juice and not much "beer" to be found. IMO, one of the most over-hyped beers I can think of in recent memory. It was so hyped last time too that I gladly traded it away for some nice stuff.