1. rozzom

rozzom Champion (823) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

The main FOMO that post generated for me was leading me to Death & Co's instagram which had me hankering after some of those cocktails on a 90F evening

fdonnelly and frozyn like this.
  2. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (97) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I don’t get any of the hype or lines this brewery generates. I was fortunate that my wife was going right by there one night after a release and she picked my up 2 sour DIPAs and a farmhouse ale crowler. I enjoyed the beers for what they were and appreciate a brewery not just cranking out NE IPAs over and over but she picked them up at night right before closing. What’s with wristbands getting passed out almost 4 hours before opening?

Xerlic likes this.
  3. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Na this is the best beer they've released

4. inkman15

inkman15 Devotee (428) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Their best beers are their true barrel-aged farmhouse sours. Those are the only ones I would make any effort to obtain.

5. Xeal

Xeal Initiate (178) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Trader

About time Demiurge came back. I had the 2018 can last week and it has faded from its glory days

6. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Agreed. See my previous post.

There are only 2 reasons I can think of. Either people are trying to inflate the hype for trade value which imo is completely unnecessary since the beer speaks for itself or it's because they cut the limits down pretty quickly and people want to get as much beer as possible. I never buy more than 1-2 4 packs of any beer at a time, so this never has never affected me personally.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  7. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (254) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

I didn’t get the lines-and-wristband level hype either. Was there the other month when they happened to be releasing cans of those strawberry and blueberry beers with long names. For what they were, they were well made, but ultimately too close to tasting like a sweet-sour soda for me. To see people lining up and hauling out cases of these beers at $20 a 4-pack... one of those moments that made me scratch my head a bit about the modern craft beer scene. Would like to try their barrel-aged sours, though.

7irondave, schteve and Mrstiffington like this.
  8. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Heard this was mayhem with 300+ people already there an hour or two before open. Really want to try this on tap someday to see if it warrants such craziness.

9. Mrstiffington

Trader

Pretty sure nothing warrants such craziness, but maybe it’s just me.

10. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Heard there were dozens of chairs before closing last night. I'll just wait until cans are at Death and Co.

11. Xerlic

Trader

So I stand corrected on demiurge hype.

The front of the line was a real shit show with rampant line cutting and people trying to get multiple wristbands. Chairs were thrown down as of last night.

Back of the line was chill, but the demi sold out really quickly once they got past the wristbands. I feel lucky to get half a case with no wristband.

Demi b2 tastes very similar to Demi b1 for what it's worth.

rozzom likes this.
  12. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,110) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

What the hell is wrong with people!? Glad this type of scene is practically extinct in craft beer scene. I rolled up to Other Half at 10am yesterday, no line life and walked away with enough DDH ACE for me to bathe in.

13. 7irondave

7irondave Zealot (515) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been debating a trip down (3hr:06mins) for a while now but after reading this, I'll just stick with HF (2hr:59mins) for road trips till the shit show dies down.

The last thing I want to deal with after a long drive is having a "grown" children throwing chairs and cutting the line.

Grow the f up kids

jrnyc and Xerlic like this.
  14. Xerlic

Trader

Go to Hill.

Supposedly, the line cutting happens with every release. Calling it out is met with "just deal with it bro" because all these people know each other.

If you're just looking for a couple 4 packs, you usually can just show up after the line dies down with little to no wait. I usually don't need to max out, but my wife really really likes demiurge. Plus, I went early to hang out with some friends that I haven't seen in a while. It's only nasty if you have to deal with the mules/resellers/traders that are typically at the front of the line.

The brewery itself is pretty good otherwise. It gets really busy on weekends, but it usually isn't that bad to get a spot and have a few pours.

All that being said, I vastly prefer going to Obercreek or Plan Bee or making the drive to Suarez. So yeah, go to Hill.

Also, after splitting a can of Demi with my wife and having a proper taste, I have to ammend my initial take. It's a lot more sweet and acidic than I remember b1. It's very molasses and lime forward and not getting too much of the almond.

15. SpinSamzo

Trader

B1 was honestly one of my favorite beers of 2018; smelled and tasted like a marzipan cookie, which is pretty distinct in a world of increasingly indistinguishable IPAs . Obviously by collaborating with Death & Co., they were going for something that tasted like a premium cocktail and I thought they succeeded perfectly. Drinking B2 now and the marzipan has been replaced by an overpowered pineapple/lime and molasses profile. Not bad, just not exciting and not nearly as amazing as the OG. I'll the rest of the cans mellow out and hopefully the fruit and molasses mellow out and let the almond shine a bit more.

16. Xerlic

Trader

Has anyone else felt like the past few HVB releases are not on the same level as HVB of the past? It feels like every release since Demi B2 has not held up to expectations. The lager was by far my favorite can of the 3 from the most recent release.

SMason likes this.
  17. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

For a while I thought I was just getting burnt out on their style, but I've heard a few people echo that sentiment.

NewmansOwn, SMason and Xerlic like this.
  18. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (112) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Hudson Valley has probably had the biggest nosedive in quality of any brewery in recent history.

It’s a shame.

SMason and Xerlic like this.
  19. Xerlic

Trader

Jesus Christ thank you. Peopleare still rating these beers highly on untappd and nobody is saying anything on the Facebook group. I thought I was getting bad cans, but I'm assuming people are trying to keep the beers highly tradeable.

20. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (112) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Most of their beer still isn’t offensively bad, but the only one I’d even call memorable this year is Red Currant Gylcerin.

Demiurge is arguably the best example of “B1 was better” ever brewed.

SpinSamzo and NewmansOwn like this.
  21. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

The Untappd ratings are definitely reflective a bit. For a while any sour IPA they put out would easily get a 4.2+ cumulative usually into the 4.3, but the last few months you’re seeing a lot more in the 3.9-4.1 range.

All that said the last Root+Branch collab was still top notch, as was the recent Peach Silhouette and Amorphia that I had, but yea they used to be cant-miss greatness for me, and I haven’t felt the same very recently.

I also saw one scathing post in the FB thread that had a lot of agreement, probably around 2 or so weeks ago.

22. Xerlic

Trader

I thought the recent silhouettes were pretty good. Peach was as I remembered, and coffee was a lot better than I thought it would be. Demi B2 got a lot of hate. One of the regulars in the FB group wrote a pretty bad take on it, so maybe that's the post you're talking about.

Up until demiurge B2, I felt the same way about a lot of this year's releases. Nothing was really bad, but nothing was mind blowing like last year.

Demiurge B2 was pretty bad considering the expectations. I thought soleil was also pretty bad. I drank 1 can and traded the other 3 away. The 2 sour IPA Unities just tasted like off the shelf stuff. I never would have thought they were hudson if I drank them blind. I really liked the smoked lager though.

23. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

I had Demiurge down in Richmond for Forever Summer Fest and I had to dump it. I can't believe the brewers were even pouring that mess.

SpinSamzo likes this.
  24. SpinSamzo

Trader

They shouldn't have sold B2 of Demiurge, besides the fact that it's basically undrinkable it's also so far removed from the original batch it's a stretch to even call it Demiurge

25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Wow what a shame to read these reports of a decline in quality. Strange too, Jason and Mike are such talented brewers. Gotta admit I haven't been in a while, I am more of a Suarez guy nowadays, but definitely not feeling like going after reading these bad reports here and in other places I visit

tzieser and rozzom like this.
  26. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (114) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Can anyone please share their thoughts on their lagers? They have two on right now - Feel no way and Unity of Time.

27. Xerlic

Trader

I thought unity of time was pretty good and I don't regret grabbing 2 4-packs.

I think industrial's oak aged lager is way better though.

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  28. Xerlic

Trader

I talk shit, but Hudson makes me come crawling back for more.

rozzom likes this.
  29. Mrstiffington

Trader

Man, just read the ingredients. How much sugar is in these beers??

jrnyc likes this.
  30. cpsfgd

cpsfgd Initiate (105) Apr 13, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Does anyone have any idea how the crowds are for the friday night releases? I was thinking about heading over that way around 6 or so but didn't know if it was going to be crazy busy with the can release tonight. Thanks

31. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Heading out there tomorrow afternoon from CT. Safe to assume the release cans+bottles won't last past tonight?

Xerlic likes this.
  32. Xerlic

Trader

I've been to the past few Friday releases on my way home from work around 6 and I was in and out in 15 minutes.

33. mountaindewORcrabjuice

mountaindewORcrabjuice Initiate (82) Sep 6, 2017 Connecticut
    Trader

Also, any BYOB spots in Beacon with good-ish food? Have some time to kill before meeting up with some relatives and wanted to enjoy some stuff from the cellar I've been meaning to get to.

@Xerlic, if you're around, feel free to let me know. I've got some Jester King, Tree House, and OEC I wanted to open up and I'd be happy to pour you some glasses.

Xerlic likes this.
  34. Xerlic

Trader

I don't think there are any BYOB places in Beacon. :slight_frown: I really like Melzingah's or Draught if you want a beer lunch. Otherwise, there are a ton of good restaurants to go to. Meyer's for burgers, Beacon Bread Company for sandwiches, Tito Santana's for tacos.. Beacon isn't that big so you can just walk down main street and pick something that looks good.

I'll text you about that second part haha.