Hunahpu's Day 2017

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by MHorridge, Aug 26, 2016.

1. MHorridge

MHorridge Aspirant (255) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'll start this thread/madness since no one else has: Hunahpu's Day 2017 is set for March 11 and it will again be at the beautiful, but unpronounceable, park in downtown Tampa (where it was this year).

Posting says they're looking for suggestions on improvements so all you expert-but-amateur event-planners and logisticians should polish up your two pennies ...

2. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Savant (942) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

Get ready, Hunahpu's Day 2017 is on it's way. The 2017 festival will be March 11th at the same place downtown as last year (Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park). If you visit their FB page, there is a short survey to provide your input. Last year's festival was awesome, looking forward to the next one.

https://www.facebook.com/visitccb

Cheers!

3. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Initiate (161) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Pretty awesome event last year....really the only major complaint was try not to put two of the most in demand breweries practically side by side in the cramped back corner again...that made ingress and egress damn near impossible...I would also say they need some more food vendors as well but that's a minor quibble...glad it's there again

joshhal2730, Skrypt, kpanter and 6 others like this.
  4. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (118) May 25, 2016 Florida

Totally agree, 2016 was the best Huna so far for me overall (4 years straight!). I suggested they try to find a way to do a little better job spacing out the high demand breweries as well.

Skrypt and kayakandbeer like this.
  5. mstone897

mstone897 Initiate (139) May 16, 2015 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Really wish they would allow a plus one of sorts. Would be nice to buy 4 bottles for myself and be able to bring the SO to the festival with me without her having to get bottles too.

6. gjoker321

gjoker321 Disciple (353) Dec 26, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

More food for sure and bring back the homebrewers!

kayakandbeer and jloomis like this.
  7. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Defender (648) Nov 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

COAT-N-CHO-BE

Or just call it Fort Brooke Park. Thats easier.

Cheers!

Elkevjoe, HeartofMiami and MJS08 like this.
  8. MJS08

MJS08 Initiate (142) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Subscriber

gesundheit.

9. TampaRainman

TampaRainman Disciple (391) Feb 17, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

GEH-ZOON-TIGHT

10. yytle

yytle Initiate (19) Mar 7, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

the problem is that there's a lot of in-demand breweries and there's going to be overlap no matter what

11. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (186) Jul 21, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

There are a lot of in demand brewers but lets be real. There are 4-5 that are going to have longer lines that others. Space them out.

12. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (102) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Last year was the best Huna Day by far. The only issue I had was with the CCB truck/tent. There where roped lanes set up but the volunteers would just grab whatever beer you asked for even if they had to walk halfway down the truck to get it. That really sucked when some of the rarer variants where tapped. I was 10th or so in line when ABMZ blew and people that I saw get in a line to my left were able to get some. (not complaining I did not get any just making an observations) If you go to HUNA day to hunt whales you will miss out on alot of great beers because you were waiting in line all day.

I spent most of my day at the Boneyard Booth talking to the guy and drinking their Triple IPA Notorious.

13. MJS08

MJS08 Initiate (142) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Subscriber

The gal pouring BBA Yeti had zero line every time I passed by. Well, I didn't just pass by a time or two. Stay flexible.

14. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (829) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Maybe this will finally be the year I make it, I think 7 months should be enough time to get my ducks in a row.

MHorridge likes this.
  15. keeeeeeth

keeeeeeth Initiate (124) Apr 6, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Halfway through they STOPPED doing that, which to me was even more annoying. Either enforce some sort of regulation as far as what beers are available at what lines or don't, it's your gig so it's your rules, but I hope this year they are consistent the whole time.

Also, selfishly, some vegetarian options would be great and I hope there are more 4 bottle tickets available.

16. sponger

sponger Aspirant (216) Mar 30, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

When are the tickets being released for this?

17. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (118) May 25, 2016 Florida

They usually make an announcement about tickets in early January, then they go on sale late January / Early February.

sponger likes this.
  18. FrankenMiller

Beer Trader

i was at CCB last Friday and the Tap Room manager said that the plan is for ECC4 to end before the end of 2016 and 5 to start before Huna Day. So hoping we still get dibs on buying tickets first.

sbb32, Thedrizzle, gjoker321 and 2 others like this.
  19. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Savant (960) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

how fast do tickets usually sell out? do they go as fast as dld tickets

20. CBrodbeck

CBrodbeck Defender (648) Nov 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Totally depends on how many times the website crashes....:mad:

21. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (139) Jul 11, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Last year the 4 bottle tickets sold out in ~ 15 mins
    8 bottle tickets hung around for about 20ish hours

The $100 jump in ticket price between 4 and 8 kept many ppl on the fence.

22. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Savant (960) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

good to know i plan on goin this year and was planning on the 8 bottle ticket price so i hope its the same this year,thanks for the info

Bogart2930 likes this.
  23. esktime

esktime Devotee (455) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

How is parking for Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Water Park?

beergorrilla likes this.
  24. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (139) Jul 11, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

I saw options for parking around and nearby the park, but I know I couldnt physically drive out of there. UBER was definitely a must that weekend.

gjoker321 likes this.
  25. Scarfer_Brad

Scarfer_Brad Disciple (325) Mar 19, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

UBER back to hotel ... you dont drive after a fest like that.. a bunch of hotels close by that arent too overpriced.. stayed in one that was in walking distance and was only $120 or so a night

26. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Initiate (161) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Less than a 1/2 mile away Parking at Tampa Convention Center was less than 10 bucks for all day on a Saturday....fantastic spot as it's covered and I was able to store bottles in car and go back and drank more beer at HD...arranged for people to come get me and they drove the car and we went to Anise for more beer and great food...

27. MHorridge

Beer Trader

Just presume it's terrible to non-existent (due to hockey game, stuff going on at the nearby convention center). Follow the advice of the others here who have suggested staying nearby or using Uber.

28. FrankenMiller

Beer Trader

You can pay to Valet at the Marriott Waterside. It is a Shit show and takes forever to get your car but guarantees parking.

29. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Aspirant (206) May 6, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Can someone who has been to both compare Dark Lord Day to HD? If weather was not a factor and I could only go to one, which should it be? I appreciate the input.

30. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,417) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Huna. Better taplists in regards to both the guest breweries and CCB's giant trailer, shorter or quicker lines in many cases due to the expansive selection, especially in regards to food. Fewer huddled masses trying to cluster together to survive the elements.

I do have problems with the extremely slow way they let people into Huna last year, and the way they pushed people out to get their bottles before the festival ended, but hopefully they remedy those things.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  31. BlackToothGrin

BlackToothGrin Aspirant (220) Dec 15, 2015 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Besides the weather which is not too bad if you prepare, DLD was much better. The bottle shares alone were amazing and totally worth the trip.

32. FrankenMiller

Beer Trader

If you are going to make a trip of it I think Huna would be better. It comes at the end of Tampa Craft beer week. Lots and lots of great events all week. Friday is Barrel aged Day at Cycle. Sooo many great breweries in the Greater Tampa area to visit.

chardlogic and MHorridge like this.
  33. MHorridge

Beer Trader

Anise truly does have some great food and their bartenders -- with a particular nod to Ryan B -- are world-class.

34. MHorridge

Beer Trader

That condition strikes me very much like, "But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" (What? Too soon?)

You'll never find me being a year-round Florida-weather homer (why anyone comes here between late April and October is beyond me, frankly) but early March is gorgeous, Huna Day has a great lineup and, as @FrankenMiller suggests above, it comes at the end of a week in which there are more things to do beer-wise than one person could ever hope to do.

35. Mattybz28

Mattybz28 Initiate (127) Dec 21, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've been told by a few people that if you're ever going to ONE event, try to make it FoBAB.

chitowntink and WestSideAmish like this.
  36. TallPaul07

TallPaul07 Initiate (193) Sep 4, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Huna is also actually a good beer.... Whereas darklord may or may not be good after 9 years of proper cellaring.

chitowntink likes this.
  37. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Disciple (324) May 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I enjoy Huna for the TB beer week. It's "just" a giant beer fest, which in itself is fine, but it get's old going around the lines for the "it" beer, and finding the small stuff you've never heard of. As far as beer fests go it's near the top of the pack but not as good as say Firestone Walker Invitational...

TB beer week was great.

I enjoy DLD because, well, it's the most glorious shitshow you've ever been too. Heavy metal bands, lots of good beer, and the bottle share... oh dear the bottle share. It's unlike any other beer related event i've ever been too.

If I had to do just one, I'd go to DLD. I'm slowing getting tired of the "same old beerfest"...

38. c64person

c64person Devotee (410) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Except Huna having an expensive ass RC Cola flavor this year. :/

Lare453 likes this.
  39. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (2,417) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

It's getting to the point where the bottle share is the primary reason many people go, if they aren't going to try to obtain the holiest of trade currency. There are so many jaded craft beer fans that rag on DL all day and that's not cool in my book. I'd rather they didn't buy tickets which ends up taking someone else's spot that might really want to be there for DL.

However, as you mention, the bottle share is so glorious I think FFF should incorporate it into the event more officially. Let's be honest, the bottle share is not really something we can give FFF or DLD full credit for. It's all about the generosity and initiative of the attendees.

There are pretty epic bottle shares that happen before or after any good beerfest, it just happens to be in a hotel lobby or some other spot that becomes the stuff of legends, instead of the line outside of DLD, and the subsequent drunken, sopping wet muddy clusters in the gates.

Huna not allowing a bottle share may miff some people, but, there was so much on tap that it really would have taken away from the actual festival experience they crafted (notwithstanding the dumbass age-gate hand stamp line and the overzealous security/premature endtime).

If FFF let everyone into the grounds specifically for early arrival bottle shares, and maybe even did away with the guest taps, (considering this year's list was pretty meh), opting for one new gigantic FFF tent instead, it could be a little revolutionary. It might be a scoffed at by long time fest goers, but, also could possibly be more awesome.

Oh, that got long fast...:eek:

reefer_bob likes this.
  40. Ohiou84

Ohiou84 Aspirant (206) May 6, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Thank you very much. Input appreciated. I will probably try to make it to both this year. You only live once.

WestSideAmish, gjoker321 and Sabtos like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe